Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   KB2973544 (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=11801)

ThePokeMan October 17, 2014 12:31:29 PM

KB2973544

AKA, the update that lets Windows 8 update to Windows 8.1 without your permission! How great is that?

I got a nice, inviting pop-up on my computer today telling me that I have 4 hours to restart my computer to "finish" installing Windows 8.1. Well, that's just dandy, since I never OKed installing it in the first place, for a couple of reasons, mainly that my antivirus doesn't work on it. So, a little investigating and I found out that Microsoft rolled out an update a couple of months ago (the aforementioned KB2973544) and has been slowly leaking it out to Windows 8 machines to slowly update the population of computers (often against the will of the consumer!).

I happen to know as a fact that this update supersedes the System Restore function, since my sister's computer updated during a System Restore (and 8.1 happens to erase all System Restore points). As of right now, I've uninstalled the update, but I have no clue what'll happen if I restart the computer. I'd estimate I have about 3 hours before the forced restart of my computer, so I guess I'm gonna have to restart my computer either way. Updates to come (?)

Dragonite October 17, 2014 12:37:35 PM

I like 8.1 marginally better than 8, but this isn't a very nice thing for Microsoft to do :P

Cat333Pokémon October 17, 2014 03:02:17 PM

I like 8.1 more than both 7 and 8 as well...when it doesn't mess up my drivers. (Maybe they've fixed that? I do have an 8.1 install DVD, so maybe I should try a fresh 8.1 installation on my laptop.) I hope they allow you to retain the Start Screen in 10.

Without reading any articles, my first assumption is that they want to drop support for straight 8 and focus more on the updated platform, sort of like how XP SP1 was dropped not long after SP2 was released. Now how long until they replace RT with a flavor of Windows Phone for tablets (or full-fledged 8.1 on x86 tablets)? Google has been doing well with Android on both phones and tablets, but you can't say they've also been devoid of parallel OS problems. (Chrome OS is such a useless OS compared to Android. When will they get rid of their equivalent of Windows RT?)

Of course, if Microsoft gets its act together with Windows 10, 8 and its ilk might become the next ME/Vista blip on their radar. I have high hopes for Microsoft under Nadella.

Reuniclus October 17, 2014 03:16:18 PM

After using 8.1 for a while, it doesn't seem all that different from 8. I don't know why people are complaining that it's slower. I don't think it's right that they're forcing an update on people, but it certainly isn't something negative in my opinion.

ThePokeMan October 17, 2014 03:37:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 296057)
Without reading any articles, my first assumption is that they want to drop support for straight 8 and focus more on the updated platform, sort of like how XP SP1 was dropped not long after SP2 was released. Now how long until they replace RT with a flavor of Windows Phone for tablets (or full-fledged 8.1 on x86 tablets)? Google has been doing well with Android on both phones and tablets, but you can't say they've also been devoid of parallel OS problems. (Chrome OS is such a useless OS compared to Android. When will they get rid of their equivalent of Windows RT?)

According to just about everyone in the Windows forums, Microsoft plans on cutting off support for 8 in January 2016.

I don't remember the dropping of XP SP1 for SP2, but that just seems to be a step up on the same OS to me, and I could be wrong there. From 8 to 8.1, there's a whole lot of hardware and software that were made with the new OS at the time in mind (8), and just aren't compatible with the forced update. That, and the fact that Microsoft is sweeping this whole forced integration under the rug by distributing it slowly but surely to the population of 8 users is what's really bugging me about this.

Cat333Pokémon October 17, 2014 04:05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just checked my laptop's update history and noticed it:

http://victoryroad.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1413590578

SuperEspeon25 October 17, 2014 08:04:57 PM

I haven't downloaded 8.1 because everytime it pops up, I'm busy. I haven't had to be made download it yet.

ThePokeMan October 18, 2014 09:27:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperEspeon25 (Post 296069)
I haven't downloaded 8.1 because everytime it pops up, I'm busy. I haven't had to be made download it yet.

The pop-ups for Windows 8.1 are actually another update (KB2871389) and can actually be disabled by finding it in your update log and uninstalling it. Your computer probably has the 8.1 update in it already, and you might be prompted within the next couple of days to restart your computer to install 8.1.

For anyone curious, uninstalling the KB2973544 update actually does stop the process of automatically installing 8.1, so hopefully I can keep my poor antivirus now :P

Cat333Pokémon October 18, 2014 01:32:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePokeMan (Post 296075)
For anyone curious, uninstalling the KB2973544 update actually does stop the process of automatically installing 8.1, so hopefully I can keep my poor antivirus now :P

I'm curious, what anti-virus software are you using that doesn't yet have a version that supports Windows 8.1 and is still publishing virus definitions?

ThePokeMan October 18, 2014 02:53:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 296076)
I'm curious, what anti-virus software are you using that doesn't yet have a version that supports Windows 8.1 and is still publishing virus definitions?

It's a 3-year disc version of Trend Micro Titanium. It was bought for my sister but was installable on up to 3 devices, and won't update without purchasing it again for whatever reason.