Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   SoulSilver - "Sophie's Adventure" (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=5512)

Jason_Henge September 20, 2010 09:09:53 AM

SoulSilver - "Sophie's Adventure"

I finally got Pokemon SoulSilver yesterday.
I'm going to start it later today, with the starter of Totodile.
Not too sure what other Pokemon I'll have.
I'd like to try Pokemon I haven't used much.
Hopefully I'll get a Dratini from the PokeWalker to use for my Electric Pokemon.
What other Pokemon should I get? I'm drifting towards Ninetales for my Fire type. Or maybe Granbull.

Anyway, I'm going to log my progress here. I hope someone will help me if I find myself in trouble.

Alakazamaster September 20, 2010 12:43:49 PM

You little silly Dratini isn't an Electric type. :P

Slowpoke is super groovy Pokemon to use since he is lovable and strong. Abra-Alakazam also make great Pokemon, thanks to their high special attack!

Pinsir is a lot of fun with his mega high Attack stat, and the same goes for Scyther and Heracross.

Finally, Exeggutor is a very good Grass-type, but is a little hard to get since you have to headbutt lots of trees.

Hope I could help~!

Jason_Henge September 20, 2010 01:01:56 PM

I know Dratini isn't an Electric Pokemon, but I was going to use it for an Eletric Pokemon, since it can learn a lot of the good ones, ex Thunderbolt, Thunder. I don't want to use Alakazam, since I can't trade it into one. D: Slowpoke would be good if I didn't already have a Water starter. Maybe Pinsir. Maybe Exeggutor.

Anyway...

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a..._CardSSAni.gif

As stated before, I chose Totodile for a starter.
I'm wanting to get it to Lv10 before returning to Prof Elm's lab.
I'm almost to Mr Pokemon's house. I'm more concerned with
collecting Apricorns than anything. Haha. I need to rush
through this part so I can get some more Pokemon, mainly for my
PokeWalker. :)

The Spirit of Time September 21, 2010 07:18:46 AM

I will definitely help. Just say it, and I will be here.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 07:43:50 AM

Yay. <3
Right now I'm in Violet City. On my team, I have Totodile, Hoothoot and Mareep. I also caught Gastly, Hoppip, Geodude (in Walker), and (from the Walker) Nidoran (male) and Sentret.

Suggestions? I know Totodile and Mareep are definately on my final team (unless I can get a Dratini to replace Mareep).

Shadow September 21, 2010 08:48:13 AM

I suggest adding Sentret to your team, as Furret can make a really good HM slave; he can learn Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, Surf and Whirlpool. Moves like Rock Smash and Whirlpool are especially weak, so putting them on a Pokémon like Furret gives empty slots for extra attacks in your team.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 11:04:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I've gotten good enough to not use an HM slave. I'd rather a Pokemon lack one good attack than lacking an entire Pokemon. Besides, I like the challenge of deciding which Pokemon I'll semi-sacrifice with an HM. The worse is Rock Smash, since you need it on the field. Whirlpool is optional, since you only need it a couple times in the game.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...hie_SSAni2.gifI'm in Violet City. I'm going to level up my Mareep until he learns Thundershock. I'm notorious at training. I may be in this one area until the end of the week. My goal level for all my Pokemon is Lv15. I will train and try to catch a Dunsparce. <3 I also want to get a Ledyba, since I'm sooooo tired of Spinarak in HeartGold.
(Yay, tables! <3 Organized! <3)

pokemoneinstein September 21, 2010 12:19:18 PM

If you really want an Alakazam, I'll trade with you so it will evolve.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 12:20:55 PM

I don't have WiFi.

pokemoneinstein September 21, 2010 12:39:00 PM

Oh. Does your public library have it? I'm sure you could go there.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 12:49:37 PM

I'd rather not. I'm an old fashioned in-game-play person.

pokemoneinstein September 21, 2010 03:09:47 PM

Alright, then. Growlithe/Vulpix could be a very good choice, so could Heracross, Pinsir, Scizor, and Exeggcute, as was said before.

Tangela isn't used often and could be very useful. Magnemite is also a good electric choice, unless you end up deciding you want to stay with Mareep. You'll want a ground and/or rock Pokémon, in which case I suggest Nidoking/queen, Onix/Steelix or Geodude, Donphan (if you can somehow get one from HeartGold), Aerodactyl, a fossil Pokémon, Rhyhorn, or Sandslash. Cubone or Diglett might also be interesting. Sudowoodo or Swinub would also be good if you still want the underused factor.

Anyway, I hope you like some of these suggestions.

The Tropius of Tropiuses September 21, 2010 05:00:52 PM

GET A DOUDO. I'm advertsing those now. GET A DOUDO OR FACE MY SONIC FAN RAGE!
It can learn fly, so yea. :/ And Vulpix are pwnage, so got one of those, too.

Yoshizard September 21, 2010 05:43:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tropius of Tropius (Post 102365)
GET A DOUDO... It can learn fly, so yea.

No, teach fly to Hoot-hoot. It is a good attack, plus you won't have to add another poke to the team.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 05:46:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshizard (Post 102379)
No, teach fly to Hoot-hoot. It is a good attack, plus you won't have to add another poke to the team.

Good point. And I never actually used Hoothoot or Noctowl in battle. :3 Thanks!

Alakazamaster September 21, 2010 06:17:11 PM

I think Doduo should be used over Hoothoot... Noctowl is not a very powerful Pokemon, but Dodrio is very fast and can hit harder than Noctowl.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 06:34:19 PM

Who said I was after power? =/ People always assume that.

Alakazamaster September 21, 2010 06:35:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_Henge (Post 102397)
Who said I was after power? =/ People always assume that.

Well yeah, but going through the game can be kinda tough if a Pokemon just really isn't that capable stat-wise.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 06:40:27 PM

If we're going by stats, the people who suggested Pinsir, Scyther and Heracross are wrong. Their stats are horrible, except their Speed and Attack.

Noctowl and Dodrio have the same attacks, except for HP and Attack. Noctowl has a high HP. Dodrio's HP sucks. Dodrio's Attack is good, but lacks HP.

Final word: I AM NOT USING DODUO OR DODRIO!!!

pokemoneinstein September 21, 2010 06:56:18 PM

Well you said you wanted rarely-used Pokémon. Heracross has a base stat total of 500, it's weakest being Special Attack which you would never use for Heracross, anyway. Same goes for Scizor and Pinsir. I don't know what Pokémon you're looking at, but all three of those are excellent choices.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 06:59:19 PM

I think I said Pokemon I haven't used. I've used Doduo/drio in FR/LG before. The only time I used a Noctowl was for an HM Fly slave. Depends if I can get a Heracross. I know Pinsir and Scyther are in the Bug Contest. It depends which I get first. I really don't want a Bug Pokemon on my team because they're so weak against other types; Fire, Flying, Rock, Ice.

pokemoneinstein September 21, 2010 07:06:39 PM

They're only weak against Fire, Flying, and Rock. Ice isn't involved. I suggest Pinsir, because headbutting for Heracross isn't going to be as easy, plus although Heracross is great for a fighting type as well, it;s weak to Fire, Psychic, and Flying (x4).

Scizor, however, if you can manage a trade, is also a fantastic choice, and is only weak against fire, albeit it does quadruple damage.

Jason_Henge September 21, 2010 07:08:17 PM

Hm. Maybe I thought Ice since a lot are part-Flying. =/

I'd rather not be stuck with Pinsir.

pokemoneinstein September 22, 2010 02:47:07 AM

Stuck? It's a great Pokémon, but it's your game. Whatever you say.

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 03:40:21 AM

Yeah. Stuck. You're forcing that Pokemon on me. :p

RotomGuy September 22, 2010 08:50:36 AM

I think you should get a Yanmega. Also when Togepi hatches, I think it would be a good Noctowl replacement. But you seem to want Noctowl.

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 08:53:36 AM

Can you get Yanmega before the Elite 4? I don't want to keep Noctowl, but it's the only Flying Pokemon I haven't used yet.

RotomGuy September 22, 2010 09:59:19 AM

Yus you can. Catch a Yanma, raise to Level 33, teach it move and tada. Yanmega is yours.

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 10:35:40 AM

Schweet. Now I have to decide between Togepi or Yanmega. xD

Quadcentruo September 22, 2010 10:42:11 AM

I would go with Yanmega because it is better than Togetic (because you can't get Togekiss in the main part of the game). Only problem is, Yanma is very rare (1% chance of finding one in the route north of Goldenrod)

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 10:44:36 AM

I'll have to think on it. Thanks for telling me. Most people just blurt out any Pokemon and not even look at the catch rate.

Quadcentruo September 22, 2010 10:49:11 AM

I wasn't talking about the catch rate, I was talking about the encounter rate of Yanma.
The catch rate of Yanma (if you really want to know) is 75/255.

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 10:52:38 AM

Same thing to me. Usually rare Pokemon are hard to catch, hence why they are rare.

pokemoneinstein September 22, 2010 02:30:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_Henge (Post 102447)
Yeah. Stuck. You're forcing that Pokemon on me. :p

Yes, because every suggestion and piece of relevant information I offer is blatantly stating, "I will not allow you to use any other Pokémon". :roll:

The Tropius of Tropiuses September 22, 2010 02:56:06 PM

Dawwwwwww. No Doudo? :cry:

Oh well. Yanmega is a good pokemon, expect from the fact that it's hard to catch. Togetic is good to, but you can't get it's Sinnoh evoultion before the Elite 4. You have to wait 'till after the Elite 4.

pokemoneinstein September 22, 2010 03:20:34 PM

Yes, they are both very good. Either would be great. What Pokémon do you have/plan to have at this point, Totodile, Mareep, and Yanma/Togepi? If that's the case, I suggest the following types to add: Psychic, Fire, and/or Fighting.

I would also suggest removing either Hoothoot or Togepi/Yanma from your team, because that would make two Flying types. But I think you already noticed that redundancy. I would also suggest choosing Yanma. They may be rare, but worth it.

Might I suggest Flareon or Magmar for your Fire type, assuming you don't want to use Vulpix.

Jynx or Espeon could be good for a Psychic type. And I know it's been said many times before, but Exeggcute is a great type combo and a good Pokémon.

And Primape is a good choice for a fighting-type that you don't need to trade to evolve.

Jason_Henge September 22, 2010 04:22:47 PM

I do want to use Vulpix. I found a moveset that I am in favor of. It's improved since FR/LG. I've used Exeggcutor before. Loved him.

Look, I really don't need team help now. I'm going to train for a while before hitting the first gym anyway.

pokemoneinstein September 22, 2010 05:09:03 PM

Alright, post back here when/if you need advice again. I'll be glad to help :)

RotomGuy September 23, 2010 08:07:20 AM

If you ever need help with team members, I have an EXTREMELY good book on all pokemon stats and stuff.

Jason_Henge September 23, 2010 10:52:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RotomGuy (Post 102748)
If you ever need help with team members, I have an EXTREMELY good book on all pokemon stats and stuff.

I do too, but I don't pick Pokemon on just stats. What's the point in that, since some Pokemon are obviously worse than others?

Ningamer September 23, 2010 12:34:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RotomGuy (Post 102748)

Me too. It's called Smogon!

By the way, you can't get Yanmega pre-national dex. You can catch a Yanma, but it won't evolve.

Alakazamaster September 23, 2010 01:06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ningamer (Post 102805)
Me too. It's called Smogon!

By the way, you can't get Yanmega pre-national dex. You can catch a Yanma, but it won't evolve.

Not true. I ran through Soul Silver with a Yanmega, since it evolves through Ancientpower.

Oh, and I use Bulbapedia for moves and base stats. :P Pretty interface.

RotomGuy September 23, 2010 09:31:19 PM

Yeah. Yanmega is available pre-nat dex. So is many others that evolve via a move including Lickilicky, Mamoswine and more.

Jason_Henge September 24, 2010 04:41:17 AM

Stop spamming my thread... Wait, nevermind. Continue spamming. It's the only thing this thread is good for. :(

Quadcentruo September 24, 2010 02:49:01 PM

Not true! People! Stop spamming a thread where a Pokemon fan needs/wants help on a Pokemon game!

We are here to help people, not spam the life out of them.

Jason, Yanmega would be an awesome choice because of it's abilities Speed Boost and Tinted Lens.
With either, you can tear up teams like they were nothing.

Jason_Henge September 24, 2010 04:20:40 PM

:P When I battle, the other teams ARE nothing. Tee hee.

The Tropius of Tropiuses September 24, 2010 04:46:38 PM

......So you battle nothing? :lol:

OH CRAP OFF-TOPICNESS!

Quadcentruo September 24, 2010 05:53:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_Henge (Post 103397)
:P When I battle, the other teams ARE nothing. Tee hee.

While that may be true, the E4 will be a hiccup on your adventure.
Red will be your only challenge (almost forgot this is Soul Silver and not Platinum).

Quadcentruo September 24, 2010 05:59:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimazone (Post 103433)
I just got my 2nd badge in kanto today, man, I only have 3 good pokemon (Machoke, Lugia, and Magnezone) the badges are Cascade and thunder. (misty, Lt. Surge)

This is not the Hg/Ss recent happenings thread. This thread is for helping a fellow Pokemon fan get through a Pokemon game that I found very good.

If you are going to post here, post something related to this thread in someway.

Jason_Henge September 24, 2010 06:28:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimazone (Post 103433)
I just got my 2nd badge in kanto today, man, I only have 3 good pokemon (Machoke, Lugia, and Magnezone) the badges are Cascade and thunder. (misty, Lt. Surge)

Cool.... and...? Will this help Sophie?

Quadcentruo September 24, 2010 06:58:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_Henge (Post 103444)
Cool.... and...? Will this help Sophie?

Didn't you see my post earlier? No, it wont help.

By the way, where are you in Soul Silver currently?

Jason_Henge September 24, 2010 08:52:32 PM

I was being sarcastic. :p

And I'm still where I was. D: I haven't got to play like I wanted to this week.

Quadcentruo September 24, 2010 08:56:21 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. :c
Once you get further let us (or more like me) know.

Jason_Henge September 24, 2010 09:01:45 PM

I think I'll update at my goal marks. ;)

EricThePelipper October 9, 2010 10:13:02 AM

You should use pictures too.

Jason_Henge October 9, 2010 10:36:28 AM

Pictures? What do you mean?