Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Gen VI Competitive Battling (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=260)
-   -   Best OU Megas? (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=11623)

MattyBrollic February 24, 2014 08:11:53 AM

Best OU Megas?

Just about everyone who knows me is aware that I am in deeply love with competitive battling. I've also fallen in love with many of the new mega evolutions. There are plenty to choose from and they are all awesome and unique in their own ways. So, my question to you guys is: Who are the best mega evolutions in OU? With Blaziken, Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Lucario banned, which megas will impact the metagame the most? Currently, it seems like some of the top dogs are Mega Venusaur, Charizard X/Y, and Pinsir. Are there any others worth mentioning? Are there any underrated sets that any of you may have used to good success? Feel free to post opinions, sets, ask questions, or anything you'd like! Happy Posting! :lol::razz:8-)

Dragonite February 24, 2014 08:32:56 AM

Mega Scizor. Holy hell, that thing hits hard. Forget OU, I have swept many an Uber with that thing.

Reuniclus February 24, 2014 08:35:16 AM

Mega Mawile seems to be really popular among hyper offensive teams. Pure Power with 105 Attack is nothing to laugh at either, this thing can tear virtually any Pokemon apart that isn't a Fire, Steel or Ground type. :P

Despite playing for a while, I haven't seen that many Mega Pinsirs flying around, I have no idea why.

TurtwigX February 24, 2014 09:14:51 AM

I personally hate the tier list and don't follow it, but I do believe all my favorites are OU anyway. My number one favorite right now is Mega Venasaur. With its new ability I was able to survive plenty Fire Blasts and Ice Beams, and I didn't even train its defense. Some didn't even get me to yellow. The sheer satisfaction from taking out a Moltres was enough.

Mega Gardevoir is another favorite of mine. I came upon it by accident when desperately searching for a fairy and a mega evolution. Originally I wanted Mawile, but I couldn't have another steel type. It took a long while for me to warm up to Gardevoir, especially because I wanted something a little faster, but I came too love its typing and through her I know how great Moonblast is.

I've I don't use but appreciate is Mega Scizor. If only I had a dollar everyone time I was afraid one would tear me apart. Regular Scizor is difficult enough, but its mega form just has too much power. I've beaten them with my grass team only on a lucky day.

MattyBrollic February 24, 2014 09:23:25 AM

Mega Mawile is terrifying. If that monster sets up a swords dance or a substitute you better prepare to have atleast one pokemon obliterated. Scizor on the other hand is an interesting one. It has tremendous bulk to set up easily but somewhat lacks the power of regular Scizor holding a life orb. However, Mega Scizor does an excellent job at supporting it's team with defog, has powerful priority in technician bullet punch, provides a slow u-turn which basically all pokemon appreciate, and access to reliable recovery in roost to stay around for awhile. Scizor is a very underrated threat this gen in my opinion! It should not be overlooked!

Cowboy February 24, 2014 09:29:11 AM

Mega Mawile is my baby.

Also, a bulky Swords Dance set on Mega Scizor can be an awesome counter to Mega Venusaur's stall tactics.

For Mega Scizor, I run an Adamant nature with an EV spread of 252 HP, 100 Defense, and 152 SP. Def. For moves, I use Swords Dance, Roost, Bullet Punch, and X-Scissor (sometimes I'll use U-Turn to keep momentum on my side). It's a pretty solid set and I've always been a fan of bulky set-up sweepers.

There's no real reasoning behind my EV spread, I just wanted to have strong defensive stats on both sides of the spectrum.

JDxImpetus February 24, 2014 10:15:49 AM

Now with Mega-Lucario gone The best OU Mega would have to be Mega Charizard Y.
Base 159 Sp.Atk w/ the Sun Up boosting it's STAB?. It destroy's Walls, Nothing wants to take a STAB Sun boosted Flamethrower/Overheat/Fire Blast from this thing

Then It's a Toss Up between Mega-Mawile and Mega Scizor

Mega Mawile having only 2 Weaknesses, but it's Base 105 Atk with Huge Power. Which after a Swords Dance or if you have a Substitute up, will most likely sweep Everything, except for incredibly bulky pokemon. It has Priority in Sucker Punch, It can deal with Steel types with Fire Fang, and has Play Rough for STAB. It can Stop pretty much everything...it's just too slow so It will most likely go 2nd.

Mega Scizor however. Maybe not as powerful as Life orb or Choice Band, has the benefit of not losing 10% or being Locked into a Move that could be played around. Running an Adamant Set with 100 EV's in Both Defenses makes it rather bulky and If you run Swords Dance, Makes it a HUGE threat

Cat333Pokémon February 24, 2014 10:56:04 AM

I see the Kanto starters a lot, but I also see the gimmicky Mega Charizard X quite a bit, usually with a move set that would be more appropriate on Y or a different Dragon entirely. Mega Blastoise can put up a fight if you give it a chance. Then again, I mostly play doubles on Battle Spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 291316)
Lucario banned

Only for those who strictly follow Smogon OU. ;) (Mega Lucario most likely won't be banned in our rule set/League.)

kakashidragon February 24, 2014 11:29:27 AM

I hear they might Ban Mega Charizard next. They are going to do there next suspect test for it soon. But besides the point, I like Mega Charizard X as if i need a fire type and if i need a dragon type too i use him. He's like a mini reshiram but without ts ability. Move set for mine is: Dragonclaw/Outrage, Earthquake, DragonDance, Flareblitz.

SuperEspeon25 February 24, 2014 12:21:05 PM

From what I've seen, I love Mega Medicham. I can't really play around with it (since I don't own a 3ds or X yet), but from what I've seen it's an absolute monster and a decent mixed attacker.

Of course I also like Mega Mawile (possible spelling error, sorry about that). Set up, it's insane. Mega Houndoom also seems like it could do some work.

Personally with adding more Megas, I would LOVE to see a Mega Skarmory or Sceptile. Lots of Pokemon deserve mega evolutions that don't have one or won't get one. It's a shame

MattyBrollic February 24, 2014 12:28:45 PM

Mega Charizard Y is one of, if not the most fearsome wall breaker in the game. However, with stall teams becoming more common, Charizard X has become slightly more common out of the two. Between his potential to run all equally effective offensive dragon dance sets, bulky dragon dance sets, and tanky will-o-wisp sets, Charizard X is heavily impacting the metagame with it's unpredictability and sheer power.

Mega Scizor on the other hand, although underrated and good, is outclassed by mega Pinsir in my opinion. It's ability aerialate gives pinsir a 199 base power stab flying move in return and a 78 base power priority flying move with quick attack. In conjunction with earthquake, Pinsir can hit most pokemon for neutral damage or better. With 65/120/90 defenses, Pinsir can easily set up a swords dance on many threats. After an SD, Pinsir is so frighteningly powerful that +2 return does OVER 90% to 252 HP/252 Defensive Rotom-W... That's terrifying, and it doesn't end there. Pinsir's unique 105 base speed tier allows it to outpace the plethora of base 100's as well as Landorus-I and Garchomp. Unlike Scizor who has many flat out counters such as Heatran, Halonflame, Rotom-W and Rotom-H, Zapdos, Magnezone, and Charizard X/Y, Pinsir has very few checks bar Talonflame. Thankfully, Pinsir has a stealth rock weakness and Mega-Pinsir has a 4x weakness to stealth rocks making it very hard for it to continuously switch in and out; otherwise I believe it would truly dominate.

kakashidragon February 24, 2014 02:42:59 PM

I noticed that not many people use Entry hazzards. I only see a few people use any hazzards at all. At least i try to carry a stealthrocks user or 2.

TurtwigX February 24, 2014 04:30:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperEspeon25 (Post 291329)
Personally with adding more Megas, I would LOVE to see a Mega Skarmory or Sceptile. Lots of Pokemon deserve mega evolutions that don't have one or won't get one. It's a shame

I know I have a list of mega evolutions that I want. At first I thought it was all starters getting one... I mean I know that'd be crazy, but it'd help Meganium with its uselessness problem. And that brings me to another point, how come only the crazy good Pokémon got mega evolutions? I thought it was gonna be used to give those things with like only one evolutionary stage against powerhouses like Metagross.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakashidragon (Post 291332)
I noticed that not many people use Entry hazzards. I only see a few people use any hazzards at all. At least i try to carry a stealthrocks user or 2.

I have one universal problem with entry hazards. 3 Pokémon on my grass team wear chosen to be the Stealth Rocker, but they all said either "Gen V only moves" which was impossible thanks to my new breeding habits, or "Egg Moves" which I'm too lazy to do thanks to my new breeding habits. That brings me to another thing I hate about X and Y, HOW CAN YOU HAVE A NEW REGION BUILT ON BATTLING WITH NO MOVE TUTORS? >:I

MattyBrollic February 24, 2014 05:40:23 PM

In my opinion, entry hazards make battling less fun! However they are basically essential in today's metagame unfortunately. I would love for all the starters to get megas! Mega Typhlosion and Mega Infernape would make me so happy!

Sub-zero March 1, 2014 10:01:54 PM

The only overrated Mega Pokemon I use are* Charizard X and Y. I mostly use Ampharos or Manectric because of awesomeness.

Something that I find interesting that hasn't really been touched on is how this adds a small unpredictability to these Pokemon. It requires more scouting on these Pokemon to see if they're the Mega slot or not. Not difficult to pick out, but still neat. I was thrown off by a Heracross before.

MattyBrollic March 2, 2014 09:32:19 AM

Yes the unpredictability is a great point!

Sub-zero March 4, 2014 06:53:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 291517)
Yes the unpredictability is a great point!

I like you. You make everything seem so exciting!

MattyBrollic March 4, 2014 09:02:14 PM

Thank you Sub Zero you are too kind! Pokemon battling is my favorite hobby and I can talk about it for HOURS :lol: