Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Victory Road Instant Messenger: The Sands of Time (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=10284)

Cat333Pokémon July 17, 2012 07:08:16 PM

Victory Road Instant Messenger: The Sands of Time

We regret to inform you that after two and a half years, we have decided to retire our public chat room, which has been hosted through Victory Road Instant Messenger since February 2011 and through Victory Road Chat before that, back to December 2009. Existing active VRIM users may still be permitted to use it until whenever we decide to phase it out entirely, but this feature is no longer available for the majority of Victory Road users. If you are not able to access it any longer, that is why. The chat has proven to be both a significant burden on the abilities of our server, preventing future expansion without future costs, and a significant frustration and fatigue on our staff, who would prefer not focusing on the chat all day.

Instead, we prefer to focus our efforts towards the forums, Adoption Center, and upcoming projects such as VGVids and the Victory Road Gym League. We would propose for you to join us in these stimulating portions of Victory Road, as we’re sure that you’ll have an enjoyable time. However, if you do wish to chat with other members of the forum, you can always use our General Chat Thread or private messaging. If you have any other questions regarding this change of events, make sure to contact a staff member.

teamplasma July 17, 2012 07:18:49 PM

Well great...

I think that is all I should say but I want to say more...

... What ever, I will say more. Okay, so I get that you did this, and I like how much authority you put into this, but I think I would like to have been forewarned... I actually just had got into going there. I found out yesterday that I actually like it there (despite the other experiences I have had there). So I am sad that this has happened, but I am very (VERY) glad because like you said, it will put people into other things. Like RPs, ASB, The School, and the small things that mean things to other people. I also think this will help establish other things in the forum.

Another thing I would like to say is that I hope this doesn't make VR less popular. There have been many members that stay for the chat and never post in the forums. So with that said, I will do my best on keeping people here (because I love this site like you).

(Oh, god, it has been 10 minutes and no one else has said something. I hope I just didn't break another rule... SOMEONE ELSE SAY SOMETHING!)

NismoZ July 17, 2012 07:31:23 PM

Good luck keeping me here once you phase it out. It's all I do here nowadays.

teamplasma July 17, 2012 08:24:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoZ (Post 252426)

Now, Debby Downer, I just said that this will lead people to other things... Don't think this won't apply to you. You could do more spriting. (I am a push one, ain't I).

AuraKshatriya July 17, 2012 09:14:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoZ (Post 252426)

I'd just like to say that your profile picture fits very well with your response to this announcement, I thought that was awesome.

Anyway, it's entirely your opinion as to whether you stay or not. Our value for each member is what made this decision very difficult, but the reason it was finally set forth was because we were sure that many members will be willing to try and adapt. There's no disdain in your choice not to, but I would personally encourage you to give it a shot, if only for a short while, when the time comes.

TurtwigX July 17, 2012 09:49:55 PM

While there is the instant convenience of the chat, it does have its forum replacements.
I came here not for the chat but to have a good time Actually, I didn't come for the forum, either. I came for a Brawl tournament, but my disc broke, but who cares about that?. Even if it does phase out, the worse that could happen is less instant messaging and less instant games, like Jeopardy. Everything on the Victory Road forums has its equivalent on VRIM, and even though this will be quite a strange thing to adapt to, I know Cat is doing the best he possibly can.
Whatever is going on in your head, good luck.

ThePokeMan July 18, 2012 09:16:34 AM

As any other big change anywhere else, this will come with backlash, but hopefully not too much will come forth from this. The lack of the chat will push some people away from VR, but the forums will gain more use as a result as well. I know for a fact I will stay after VRIM is long gone, and I know many other people will stick here too. I only see 1 major problem with the closure of VRIM, but it's entirely possible it will solve itself. Without an instant chat, all of the tournaments here will be a bit of a hassle, especially on tournament day. It'll be a bit harder to organize without a place where everybody can gather, but with time, we'll adapt. With that said, this is a true change in how everyone will view VR. Hopefully, we can remain as tight a community as we always have been.

SuperEspeon25 July 18, 2012 09:22:58 AM

*after hearing news, SE25 mtters swear words to himself*
Since the chat was all I really did, I might drop on activity when im on a computer

Yoshi648 July 18, 2012 09:37:47 AM

Dern kids needing everything to happen within the millisecond they do something. In my day we posted on forums where it could take minutes or even hours for someone to respond to a message you posted, but it gave people time to actually think about what they want to say and not be interrupted every 3 seconds and we were better people for it.
/old-man style rant

TheEnlightened July 18, 2012 10:21:30 AM

Each time I came on here, the chatroom looks more dead than the last time, maybe this would provide more activity on the boards maybe?

From what I've seen and read maybe it's mixed feelings with people on here, personally I'm never here because of personal reasons.

Super Pichu62 July 18, 2012 10:24:30 AM

I'm not pulling any sort of emotional feelings toward this matter. People often try to take control/turn a conversation inappropriately and things just start getting dead.
That's usually the case towards new and returning members.

Quadcentruo July 18, 2012 11:44:31 AM

From what I've seen on different forums, a chatbox helps then hurts a forum. It helps by bringing the community together and allowing a quick method of communicating with other members, but then hurts by drawing activity away from the forum itself. With the chat being limited, newer members will be forced to use the forums only, leading to an increase in activity around the forum.

Also, for those contemplating on leaving because of their restrictions on the chat - go ahead. If the only thing you did on this forum was visit the chat, you've completely missed the point of a forum. It wouldn't make a difference if you left. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it needed to be said.

The Spirit of Time July 18, 2012 12:09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshi648 (Post 252545)
Dern kids needing everything to happen within the millisecond they do something. In my day we posted on forums where it could take minutes or even hours for someone to respond to a message you posted, but it gave people time to actually think about what they want to say and not be interrupted every 3 seconds and we were better people for it.
/old-man style rant

In my current day, I post something in the forums and wait for 10 hours till the other half of the world wakes up and responds to what I posted. It seems I am still stuck in the old times. :lol:

I am really hoping the removal of the chat turns out to be a positive action and helps in keeping the forums more lively. Seriously guys, for those who always visited the chat, why don't you share the same topics you would in the chat, but in the forums? Create more threads and expect lengthier and more detailed replies! I find that much better, personally.

PokeRemixStudio July 18, 2012 12:12:04 PM

I still like the idea of the chat only being open on weekends. As opposed to being gone altogether like it might be in the future.

Cat333Pokémon July 18, 2012 03:35:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePokeMan (Post 252536)
Without an instant chat, all of the tournaments here will be a bit of a hassle, especially on tournament day. It'll be a bit harder to organize without a place where everybody can gather, but with time, we'll adapt.

I have spoken to Ditto616 about this last night, and we will be granting tournaments an exception, but they will take place in the Wi-Fi Lounge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio (Post 252588)
I still like the idea of the chat only being open on weekends. As opposed to being gone altogether like it might be in the future.

I have liked this idea for a while, and I will continue considering it.

Luxray13579 July 18, 2012 05:16:34 PM

I was also thinking that during big events, or things like Pokémon Sunday or E3 and other expos we won't be able to quickly discuss our reactions to each thing in real-time. So maybe weekends and special occasions?

TurtwigX July 18, 2012 05:21:21 PM

Yeah, when I first came here, I was on the chat twice. Once because there was a Brawl Tournament, and the next to celebrate the release of HG/SS with all of its music. (That second one is fuzzy, don't remember much of that) So I think special events are a good reason to keep it open for that time.

Firo July 21, 2012 04:11:48 PM

Wow, what've I missed?

Maybe this'll push me into the forums some more. I needed that kind of discipline.

AuraKshatriya July 21, 2012 11:42:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio (Post 252588)

That fits well with the fact that an instant messenger chat is a privilege, not a necessity. After all, a forum is still a forum without a chat, and there are some out there that never had one to begin with. VR started without one, so there's no reason why it can't continue without one. If a chat was the only reason a member was here, they don't need to be on a forum, they should just go hanging around an irc somewhere.

Also, Yoshi, I love old-man-style rants. You're awesome.

Ningamer July 30, 2012 04:15:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 252631)
I have spoken to Ditto616 about this last night, and we will be granting tournaments an exception, but they will take place in the Wi-Fi Lounge.

If there's no chat in the first place what the hell difference does the room make?

AuraKshatriya July 30, 2012 04:17:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ningamer (Post 254831)
If there's no chat in the first place what the hell difference does the room make?

I would imagine it isolates them from the potential to receive the privilege of being involved in other rooms which are relatively more active, so it acts to allow for VRIM's use without quite all the perks. That being said, this is just a guess on my part.

Ningamer July 30, 2012 04:27:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya (Post 254832)
I would imagine it isolates them from the potential to receive the privilege of being involved in other rooms which are relatively more active, so it acts to allow for VRIM's use without quite all the perks. That being said, this is just a guess on my part.

Oh, I think I misunderstood. So if you're very special and Uncle Cat thinks you've been a good boy you can still chat? Okay, now the room makes a little bit more sense. :P

Also:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 252418)
We regret

Don't lie, you ;3

Pingouin7 July 31, 2012 03:26:57 AM

I don't know, each time I went there, it was either deserted or nobody was talking.