Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Pokémon X and Y (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   Anyone tripping up over retypings to Fairy? (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=11488)

Cat333Pokémon October 23, 2013 10:19:13 PM

Anyone tripping up over retypings to Fairy?

I always have to think twice when I see Azumarill (or anything in that line) or Wigglytuff Clefable. In the latter, the strategy is somewhat backwards, as my previous instinct was always to whip out a Fighting move, but now Fighting is ineffective against Wigglytuff Clefable. Thankfully, the only ones who have tripped me up so far are those who I didn't know about the retyping.

JDxImpetus October 23, 2013 10:30:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 287277)
but now Fighting is ineffective against Wigglytuff.

Wait...I thought Wigglytuff took neutral from Fighting cause it's not mono Fairy...

But I understand what you mean..I did try to Hit Gardevoir with a Dark type attack...and oops it takes neutral from that now

Cat333Pokémon October 23, 2013 10:34:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDxImpetus (Post 287278)
Wait...I thought Wigglytuff took neutral from Fighting cause it's not mono Fairy...

Whoops, I meant Clefable.

TurtwigX October 24, 2013 02:57:02 AM

I was thinking this just yesterday. And THAT'S why I printed out a list of all the Fairy Types :p I wasn't present in 1st Gen to experience Magnemite's retyping and whatnot, so this is my first time getting readjusted.

Twiggy October 24, 2013 03:22:18 AM

I think someone could make a parody guidebook...

Something like "How To Tell Between Normal, Fairy, Grass, and Psychic-type Pokémon".

(Yep, that's me.)

TurtwigX October 24, 2013 03:28:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twiggy (Post 287290)
I think someone could make a parody guidebook...

Something like "How To Tell Between Normal, Fairy, Grass, and Psychic-type Pokémon".

(Yep, that's me.)

I thought Flabebe was a grass type at first, as did everyone else apparently. I used fire, fighting, and flying moves on it, all while gaping at how "they changed the type effectiveness for grass in this generation!!" X3

My rule is if it looks like a fairy it's a fairy. I read enough mythology to guess.
Plus Mawile and Granbull... which don't.

RotomGuy October 24, 2013 04:04:40 AM

Jigglypuff is the only one I've forgotten about so far.

Cat333Pokémon October 24, 2013 07:44:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 287286)
I wasn't present in 1st Gen to experience Magnemite's retyping and whatnot, so this is my first time getting readjusted.

Magnemite actually tripped me up. I started with Gen II, so when I went back to Gen I, I wondered why Charmander's Ember wasn't super effective against it.

TurtwigX October 24, 2013 08:10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 287300)
Magnemite actually tripped me up. I started with Gen II, so when I went back to Gen I, I wondered why Charmander's Ember wasn't super effective against it.

I started with Gen IV, so by that time MAGNEZONE was already a thing :P

In a semi-related way, I got really confused when my Infernape was no longer super effective on Aaron's Drapion. I didn't know that Skorupi shrugs off Bug for Dark when it evolves.

Cat333Pokémon October 24, 2013 08:22:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 287302)
In a semi-related way, I got really confused when my Infernape was no longer super effective on Aaron's Drapion. I didn't know that Skorupi shrugs off Bug for Dark when it evolves.

THIS. Tyranitar also confused me for the same reason, except losing Ground for Dark.

Alakazamaster October 24, 2013 10:08:52 AM

Due to the addition of Fairy-type there are times where battles just stop so that I can determine a weakness, haha. It's a pretty unique feeling, since I haven't felt it since Gen. 2 when I was trying to learn the new types and how certain match-ups had changed. I'll go up against a Mr. Mime or Klefki and run through just about every type trying to figure out weaknesses. The nerfing of the Steel-type sure doesn't help me out when dealing with Klefki. :X

Reuniclus October 24, 2013 10:14:55 AM

I keep thinking that Huntail is Water/Dark for some reason.

Fairies aren't too annoying for me, I just don't agree with Granbull being a Fairy type.

Ditto616 October 24, 2013 10:45:52 AM

Let me sum it up for you 50% of the time

Chesnaught used Hammer Arm on [retyped Pokémon]!
It's not very effective...
"CRAP THAT'S RIGHT FAIRY TYPES!"

Cat333Pokémon October 24, 2013 11:09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reuniclus (Post 287311)
Fairies aren't too annoying for me, I just don't agree with Granbull being a Fairy type.

Snubbull and Granbull are both "Fairy Pokémon" by the Pokédex, so it does make some sense to me.

kakashidragon October 24, 2013 11:54:41 AM

Sometimes i forget what is fairy and who isnt. But some of these new double type combos get me sometimes. (mostly the normal/electric typing)

Sunny October 24, 2013 01:51:18 PM

Nah~

I got use to fairy types pretty quick, but mostly because i'm training a bunch of em. The only way fairy types have thrown me off is by botching up my normal type team, seeing as how a buncha normal types are now fairy types instead. :T

DiamondEdge October 26, 2013 06:51:24 PM

I have trouble remembering most of the weaknesses and advantadges that the Fairy-type has. It can be especially troublesome remembering what is weak to Fairy with a Slurpuff on my team.

As for weaknesses, all I really know are Steel and Poison. (And apparently, Ghost? I forget.)

KrayzeeGuy October 28, 2013 02:44:21 AM

Personally I've had less defensive issues with Fairy typing and more offensive issues. What I mean by which is the dreaded fact that I now have more reason than ever to fear Poison and Steel type pokemon and moves for their offensive capability. Especially now that a load of Fighting type pokemon can learn Poison Jab (Hawlucha great example of a clutch side-move if anyone was wondering).

When I see a dominant Fairy type now, I have to think "Okay, so do not use Dragon type moves until further notice, attempt to not use Dark, Fighting, or Bug, and boy howdy, I wish the Pokemon Bank was open so I could import my Gen IV Arbok into the scene for MVP status."

Also, when a Fairy's out, remember that almost all of them can learn Misty Terrain and just say no to status conditions.

Sub-zero November 6, 2013 07:29:50 PM

Yeah, I didn't know Bug didn't work on Fairy. So, I used a Bug move on Gardevoir thinking I'd take it out but noooope. No Super-Effective. :(

A friend used Dragon Claw on my Azumarill once. His Garchomp died afterwards.

TurtwigX November 6, 2013 08:22:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-zero (Post 287974)
Yeah, I didn't know Bug didn't work on Fairy. So, I used a Bug move on Gardevoir thinking I'd take it out but noooope. No Super-Effective. :(

A friend used Dragon Claw on my Azumarill once. His Garchomp died afterwards.

That first part happened to me today~ I was battling a friend and she tried to use both a dark and a bug move on my Mega Gardevoir and she was all "Why isn't this working!?" and I was just jumping around going "Fairy, fairy fairy~"

It might be my new 3rd favorite type.

Dragonite November 7, 2013 05:58:28 AM

For some reason I keep thinking Fairy is like a second Psychic type that's immune to Dragon. Really got to get over that if I want to be doing X and Y competitive battling :X

Wolfbane5001 November 7, 2013 10:51:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonite (Post 288001)
For some reason I keep thinking Fairy is like a second Psychic type that's immune to Dragon. Really got to get over that if I want to be doing X and Y competitive battling :X

Same. Even the bloody typing labels are pink! Personally, most of the new fairy types look like they could've just been psychic types. (Not the retyped ones)

TurtwigX November 7, 2013 12:41:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 (Post 288018)
Same. Even the bloody typing labels are pink! Personally, most of the new fairy types look like they could've just been psychic types. (Not the retyped ones)

They're two different shades with one leaning more towards light lavender. It's like the difference between rock and ground.

I don't think Florges could be a Psychic type, Slurpuff makes for a good Fairy, and then there's the obvious Sylveon.

Cat333Pokémon March 30, 2014 02:04:51 PM

After looking through the Fairy egg group, I'm kind of surprised Skitty and Delcatty weren't retyped to Fairy. It seems like it could have been a viable candidate.

TurtwigX March 30, 2014 02:13:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 292559)
After looking through the Fairy egg group, I'm kind of surprised Skitty and Delcatty weren't retyped to Fairy. It seems like it could have been a viable candidate.

Pretty much anything that was Fairy and no other egg group could have been a fairy type. I'm personally upset that Audino wasn't turned fairy, it looks the part perfectly.

Cat333Pokémon March 30, 2014 02:19:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 292561)
I'm personally upset that Audino wasn't turned fairy, it looks the part perfectly.

Oh yeah, Audino definitely fits the part of a Fairy, but what about the Happiny line too?

TurtwigX March 30, 2014 02:22:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 292562)
Oh yeah, Audino definitely fits the part of a Fairy, but what about the Happiny line too?

They do too, but the difference is that I actually like Audino :P Besides, wouldn't 700 HP and an immunity to dragons be a little bit too much?

Cat333Pokémon March 30, 2014 02:39:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 292563)
TBesides, wouldn't 700 HP and an immunity to dragons be a little bit too much?

Good point :P Blissey is already evil enough to Special-dominated teams.

Dragonite March 30, 2014 05:50:52 PM

700 HP, neutral damage from Fighting and Crunch and weak only to Steel and Poison, where the only reliable moves have base power of about 80 or is a Special attack.

Actually, I kind of want to see that happen . . .

TurtwigX March 30, 2014 06:21:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonite (Post 292569)
700 HP, neutral damage from Fighting and Crunch and weak only to Steel and Poison, where the only reliable moves have base power of about 80 or is a Special attack.

Actually, I kind of want to see that happen . . .

How evil of you. Though I suppose even with all that it wouldn't technically be "Uber" however that's ranked. Now I really AM somewhat interested in a fairy Blissey.

Then again, would that be dual type or mono type fairy? Immunity to dragon AND ghost is farfetched.

Mistral April 4, 2014 04:39:49 PM

Yes, ughhhh. :c I'd played Black and also White 2 before I'd gotten Y on launch day to reacquaint myself with the type chart from previous gens so that way I'd only have to make smaller adjustments in my head, but it didn't help. I still mess up stuff with gen 6 and the Fairy type. :C