Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Gen VI Competitive Battling (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=260)
-   -   The Tournament Idea Thread (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=11872)

MattyBrollic February 9, 2015 01:16:52 PM

The Tournament Idea Thread

Hello, all. The last Victory Road Championship Tournament was easily the largest tournament that has taken place since I've been here, sporting a whopping seventeen participants! It was beyond exciting, I hope everyone had as much of a blast as I had. Due to the success of the tournament and lack of activity since it ended, it is safe to say that I've been pretty bored. That being said, I am creating this tournament thread in hope that you guys will 1.) Give me feedback on tournament ideas that I have 2.) Come up with your own tournaments, as well as host them.

Now obviously, you do not have to feel obligated to host a tournament. However, at the very least, I'd like some feedback on my own tournament ideas because I think it'll be quite helpful to everyone looking to participate, and enjoy battling.

The next tournament idea I've come up with is a Single Generation tournament with the addition of a randomly assigned Mega Evolution!!! Each person will be randomly assigned Pokemon generation to assemble a team of five Pokemon plus a random mega from ANY GENERATION, not just the one which you were assigned. Due to their only being six Pokemon generations, multiple people will likely be sharing some of the same generations. For anyone who participated in the first tournament I hosted on the forum, the mixed tier one, you probably remember that you were each assigned one specific Mega Evolution that you had to use on your team. Personally, I enjoyed that mechanic a lot as odds are, you will be forced to build a team and try out a Mega that you have not used much or not at all.

This idea really excites me. I would love to go through with it if a lot of you are willing.

Here are some alternatives to consider if you are not as fond of the idea as I.

-Randomly assigned megas are from ORAS only rather than both XY and ORAS combined.
-No randomly assigned megas, just build a team of six from the generation of which you are assigned.
-Pick the generation you would most prefer.

I love the concept of randomly assigned megas. Most of the mega Pokemon are just SO cool to me, and I have not gotten to try them all out yet, especially on wifi. The random aspect provides exciting anticipation prior to the mega-assignment. As far as randomly assigned generations go, I'd like to know what you guys think. We all have our favorite generations, but it would be hard to say that certain gens are actually better than others. Also, I've always enjoyed team building around Pokemon I'm not as familiar with using, which is why I would prefer randomly assigned generations.

So there ya go, everyone. Feel free to present me with feedback on my idea, or even reject it as a whole and come up with your own tournament ideas. Thanks! :)

kakashidragon February 9, 2015 02:22:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 297332)
Hello, all. The last Victory Road Championship Tournament was easily the largest tournament that has taken place since I've been here, sporting a whopping seventeen participants! It was beyond exciting, I hope everyone had as much of a blast as I had. Due to the success of the tournament and lack of activity since it ended, it is safe to say that I've been pretty bored. That being said, I am creating this tournament thread in hope that you guys will 1.) Give me feedback on tournament ideas that I have 2.) Come up with your own tournaments, as well as host them.

Now obviously, you do not have to feel obligated to host a tournament. However, at the very least, I'd like some feedback on my own tournament ideas because I think it'll be quite helpful to everyone looking to participate, and enjoy battling.

The next tournament idea I've come up with is a Single Generation tournament with the addition of a randomly assigned Mega Evolution!!! Each person will be randomly assigned Pokemon generation to assemble a team of five Pokemon plus a random mega. Due to their only being six Pokemon generations, multiple people will likely be sharing some of the same generations. For anyone who participated in the first tournament I hosted on the forum, the mixed tier one, you probably remember that you were each assigned one specific Mega Evolution that you had to use on your team. Personally, I enjoyed that mechanic a lot as odds are, you will be forced to build a team and try out a Mega that you have not used much or not at all.

This idea really excites me. I would love to go through with it if a lot of you are willing.

-Randomly assigned megas are from ORAS only rather than both XY and ORAS combined.
-No randomly assigned megas, just build a team of six from the generation of which you are assigned.

I love the concept of randomly assigned megas. Most of the mega Pokemon are just SO cool to me, and I have not gotten to try them all out yet, especially on wifi. The random aspect provides exciting anticipation prior to the mega-assignment. As far as randomly assigned generations go, I'd like to know what you guys think. We all have our favorite generations, but it would be hard to say that certain gens are actually better than others. Also, I've always enjoyed team building around Pokemon I'm not as familiar with using, which is why I would prefer randomly assigned generations.

So there ya go, everyone. Feel free to present me with feedback on my idea, or even reject it as a whole and come up with your own tournament ideas. Thanks! :)

*Edit* Oops i forgot about dianice lol.

I think theres one problem tho? 6th gen (Kalos) doesnt have a single Mega besides ones from mixed generations.

Nytz February 9, 2015 03:18:07 PM

Sippy Cup League. (Baby pokemon tournament)

has anyone ever thought of making a tourney for lv1 pokemon? I remember we did that once during my days playing D/P. the rules were that you had to use lv 1 pokemon, and they had to have an evolution form. in other words, pokemon like Absol, or zangoose, and other pokemon that couldn't evolve were banned, plus, the pokemon had to be in the first evolution stage. middle evos were also banned.

just an idea...

Cat333Pokémon February 9, 2015 03:27:38 PM

Another idea is to only use "baby" Pokémon.

Nytz February 9, 2015 03:32:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 297338)
Another idea is to only use "baby" Pokémon.

I like that idea, but since the spectrum of choices are so minimal, that's why I thought lv.1 pokemon of the first evo line would work.

MattyBrollic February 9, 2015 03:37:17 PM

U
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytz (Post 297339)
I like that idea, but since the spectrum of choices are so minimal, that's why I thought lv.1 pokemon of the first evo line would work.

Yea I like your ideas, they would be similar to the Little Cup Smogon tier.

Edit: Would you be interested in hosting a baby or level 1 Pokemon tourney?

Nytz February 9, 2015 03:51:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 297340)
U

Yea I like your ideas, they would be similar to the Little Cup Smogon tier.

Edit: Would you be interested in hosting a baby or level 1 Pokemon tourney?

ehhh.... it would probably depend on if I have time to do so. unless you mean random tourney announcements like before.

MattyBrollic February 9, 2015 04:11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytz (Post 297342)
ehhh.... it would probably depend on if I have time to do so. unless you mean random tourney announcements like before.

I gotcha. I don't mind hosting if a lot of people want to participate but I don't want to have to host ALL of them ya know.

MattyBrollic February 9, 2015 04:22:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakashidragon (Post 297335)
*Edit* Oops i forgot about dianice lol.

I think theres one problem tho? 6th gen (Kalos) doesnt have a single Mega besides ones from mixed generations.

The random mega assignment can be from any gen, not only the generation you were assigned.

Dragonite February 9, 2015 09:09:08 PM

Sort of like the one we did about a year ago? I guess forcing me to use something new would be good, that's kind of how I discovered Mega Gardevoir . . .

Oh yeah, still pushing for the Metronome one. At least for the first of April, guys?

MattyBrollic February 9, 2015 09:45:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonite (Post 297348)
Sort of like the one we did about a year ago? I guess forcing me to use something new would be good, that's kind of how I discovered Mega Gardevoir . . .

Oh yeah, still pushing for the Metronome one. At least for the first of April, guys?

I'd do the metronome one for sure if you hosted it! Sounds like fun :)

kakashidragon February 9, 2015 11:21:57 PM

How about a Doubles or Triples tournaments or maybe Team Tag? (2 Teams VS 2 Teams through Multi-Battle)

Dragonite February 9, 2015 11:40:17 PM

I'm up for a Triples tournament 24 hours a day, 8 days a week >:D

Though I'm probably getting hacked out in the first round if you blacklist my Cresselia.

MattyBrollic February 11, 2015 11:54:21 AM

So what do you guys want to do?

kakashidragon February 14, 2015 06:15:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 297361)
So what do you guys want to do?

Lets try my idea first! Orange islands tournament sounds fun :3
Been watching that season on netflix latly. But first i gotta know what rules to use.

Bidoof February 14, 2015 06:32:44 PM

I saw an interesting tournament idea on another forum I go on. How about a tournament where Megas and entry hazards are banned? It'd be interesting to see, and I'd have no chance on it since I always rely on my Mega Zard Y xD

Dragonite February 14, 2015 09:07:49 PM

What about a tournament where you turn things around and can only use BST-600+ legendaries? :^)

MattyBrollic February 14, 2015 10:47:18 PM

I like the ideas, guys :)

Kakashi, if you decide on your tournaments rules then you can host it.

Dragonite, I've been meaning to host an uber-esque tournament so I'd help you host that if you wanted me too!

MattyBrollic February 15, 2015 07:22:55 AM

I like your idea too, Bidoof. Would you be willing to host?

Dragonite February 15, 2015 07:33:53 AM

If we do that, can we be required to use teams that would all otherwise have a 4X weakness to Stealth Rocks? (Butterfree chaos impending)

MattyBrollic February 15, 2015 01:55:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonite (Post 297382)
If we do that, can we be required to use teams that would all otherwise have a 4X weakness to Stealth Rocks? (Butterfree chaos impending)

You gonna go through with an Uber tourney, Drag?

Dragonite February 15, 2015 08:46:55 PM

If enough people are interested, sure. It's admittedly a lot harder getting together a team of legendaries because you have to catch them and hope for the best without being able to mass breed for stats, but I think there can be enough people to make it work.

MattyBrollic February 16, 2015 09:44:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonite (Post 297384)
If enough people are interested, sure. It's admittedly a lot harder getting together a team of legendaries because you have to catch them and hope for the best without being able to mass breed for stats, but I think there can be enough people to make it work.

Post a thread, and see how many sign up!

Bidoof February 16, 2015 07:03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 297381)
I like your idea too, Bidoof. Would you be willing to host?

Nah, sorry. I would never have enough time to :/

MattyBrollic February 16, 2015 07:10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidoof (Post 297395)
Nah, sorry. I would never have enough time to :/

That's unfortunate :(

MattyBrollic February 16, 2015 08:28:30 PM

The next tournament idea I've come up with is a Single Generation tournament with the addition of a randomly assigned Mega Evolution!!! Each person will be randomly assigned Pokemon generation to assemble a team of five Pokemon plus a random mega from ANY GENERATION, not just the one which you were assigned. Due to their only being six Pokemon generations, multiple people will likely be sharing some of the same generations. For anyone who participated in the first tournament I hosted on the forum, the mixed tier one, you probably remember that you were each assigned one specific Mega Evolution that you had to use on your team. Personally, I enjoyed that mechanic a lot as odds are, you will be forced to build a team and try out a Mega that you have not used much or not at all.

Pasted from the OP... I kind of really want to do this tournament, guys.
Anyone down??? I just need 8, but I'd love to have more.

Sub-zero February 16, 2015 08:35:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBrollic (Post 297398)
tourney idea quote

Yeah, I'll play with you. I may not have that Mega ready on the spot, but I can work on it.

MattyBrollic February 16, 2015 09:11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-zero (Post 297399)
Yeah, I'll play with you. I may not have that Mega ready on the spot, but I can work on it.

I will give everyone a week or two to prepare!

Nytz February 20, 2015 08:07:57 AM

did anyone suggest this yet?

it may seem strange, but how about an Unown tourney? battle with just a team of Unowns.

... maybe not XD

Or maybe a Choice scarf/band rotation battle? All pokemon hold choice items in a rotation battle. (I never tried this before, but it seems interesting.)

Dragonite February 20, 2015 08:17:22 AM

Considering that Unown is the only Pokémon you can't catch natively in Gen 6, that would take FOREVER.

I'm in.

Cat333Pokémon February 20, 2015 06:07:16 PM

I still like the generational tournament idea. If not this one, we could give that a[nother] try at some point.

Dragonite February 20, 2015 06:12:02 PM

What about a one-Pokémon-per-tier tournament? (Uber, OU, UU, RU, PU, NU)