Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Feature: Last 15 Posts (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=10154)

Cat333Pokémon June 10, 2012 02:43:10 PM

New Feature: Last 15 Posts

I've added a box at the top of the homepage that lists the last 15 posts in all public boards, excluding the Game Corner, with the intention that this easy-to-see list will aid users in using the forums better.

If you have any issues with it, please let me know. Yes, I know it looks a little strange on some themes. If it's missing from any, also let me know.

Fubab_107 June 10, 2012 02:46:46 PM

I like this. Now I don't always have to scroll part way down the page to see if General has anything to say. Great work!

TurtwigX June 10, 2012 02:47:09 PM

THAT IS REALLY HELPFUL AND USEFUL. THANK YOU.
*A-hem* Yeah, it's a cool feature, and all. Nice one, Cat. No problems so far.

zsaberslash June 10, 2012 02:47:13 PM

Is there no easy way of minimizing it? Because I'd prefer to be able to minimize it/maximize it as and when I feel like it.

LugiaDialga June 10, 2012 02:49:02 PM

It's missing from the "Diamond Dialga" theme. Otherwise I'm glad that this feature has been implemented. I think it will help people like me find new posts that we can post in and such. Really, I think it should have been here a while ago perhaps since it is on the Floatzel site. But regardless, glad you got it added, Fuzzles! Just hopefully tweak the colors later, m'kay? >w<

Cat333Pokémon June 10, 2012 02:53:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsaberslash (Post 247273)
Is there no easy way of minimizing it? Because I'd prefer to be able to minimize it/maximize it as and when I feel like it.

Not really, as I'm not sure how to go about keeping it minimized if you leave the page and come back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LugiaDialga (Post 247275)
It's missing from the "Diamond Dialga" theme.

Fixed. Thank you.

PokeRemixStudio June 10, 2012 03:00:52 PM

It looks great. The times are in Eastern Standard Time though.

Quadcentruo June 10, 2012 03:06:06 PM

On top of helping regular users to find new threads to post in, this will also help newer members find out where to begin posting. Also, good idea in not adding the Game Corner to that last because then it would be constantly updating with forum games that half the regular members don't bother looking at.

Cat333Pokémon June 10, 2012 03:24:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio (Post 247277)
It looks great. The times are in Eastern Standard Time though.

Fixed.

I'm not sure how I'd go about having it retrieve the logged in user's time zone, though, as it doesn't even touch the login stuff.

NismoZ June 10, 2012 04:20:30 PM

I like it. It'll really help when I'm just bored on the internet.

teamplasma June 10, 2012 04:25:52 PM

I go on the forum games all the time. I guess I am part of the other half.

Also I probably won't use this that much because of how much I go on the Forum games, but I do think that it is a nice feature. I do wish minimizing it was an option.

EDIT: Is there a way for it not to show your own posts?

Cat333Pokémon June 10, 2012 04:42:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamplasma (Post 247323)
EDIT: Is there a way for it not to show your own posts?

No.

Aquablast June 10, 2012 05:01:54 PM

It look nice up top so now you can actually see it.

The Spirit of Time June 10, 2012 11:20:09 PM

It is good to update with any new thread or post that has appeared, just like a Facebook notification. (y)

Cyrus June 11, 2012 06:08:59 AM

I am impressed with this new feature. I've been a bit lazy myself with forum activity, maybe this will spur me to post a bit more often.

AuraKshatriya June 11, 2012 06:36:02 PM

I find its usefulness similar to that of a News Feed-simple and informative. While minimizing it would be nicer from an aesthetic perspective, functionally it's a great addition, and it appears the universal praise I'm seeing in this thread is a testament to that. It's nice seeing a change/addition being so readily accepted by the community.

TurtwigX June 11, 2012 09:44:11 PM

A feature to change the time zones on it would be nifty. I don't really know how to convert, and it can get pretty confusing. And I guess a way to make it a tad bit smaller would help. Still loving it, though.

Quadcentruo June 12, 2012 10:40:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 247539)
A feature to change the time zones on it would be nifty. I don't really know how to convert, and it can get pretty confusing.

Basics to converting time: If you live in the eastern time zone (the east coast and most of the mid-west), add 3 hours to the Last Post's time (which is in the pacific time zone). Central time zone, add 2 hours. Mountain time zone, add 1 hour. This is the conversion times for the US times only though (I do know to find the UK time you add 5 hours from eastern time).

Shade June 13, 2012 10:25:45 AM

imo it would look more aesthetically pleasing if it was on the side instead of the top. Maybe to the left?

teamplasma June 13, 2012 11:33:16 AM

I would like to admit, I am using this more than I had planned :3

GalliumGrant June 14, 2012 06:29:08 PM

I admit I'm being a neat freak, but I think there should be a space between the 10th link and the bottom of the "Last 10 Posts" window. There's one on the top of the window, so why not add the bottom one for consistency?

Cat333Pokémon June 14, 2012 08:07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalliumGrant (Post 247928)
I admit I'm being a neat freak, but I think there should be a space between the 10th link and the bottom of the "Last 10 Posts" window. There's one on the top of the window, so why not add the bottom one for consistency?

It's an Iframe, so I can't really make it use the same height as your browser defines the text.

GreenMan June 19, 2012 11:13:52 PM

There is a bit of problem sometimes on my phone where the box doesn't quite reach around the text, it looks bad but hey it still works soon complaints. I know I showed cat how it looked and I'm just wondering for other smart phone users if that problem exists or is it something that is only on the iPhone browser I have? ( I don't use safari cause it can't seem to remeber passwords and such, nor go full screen.) might attach a picture that I took so that everyone can see the problem. I believe when I showed Cat he said it was a text size issue I'll ask him later if that's correct.

That of the way I'm finding myself posting more on the forum, as I'm a VR lurker and someone who stays on VRIM, I'm again contributing to the discussions. It was a great idea and seems to have worked well so two thumbs up to that.

Cat333Pokémon June 20, 2012 11:34:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMan (Post 248286)
There is a bit of problem sometimes on my phone where the box doesn't quite reach around the text, it looks bad but hey it still works soon complaints. I know I showed cat how it looked and I'm just wondering for other smart phone users if that problem exists or is it something that is only on the iPhone browser I have? ( I don't use safari cause it can't seem to remeber passwords and such, nor go full screen.) might attach a picture that I took so that everyone can see the problem. I believe when I showed Cat he said it was a text size issue I'll ask him later if that's correct.

That of the way I'm finding myself posting more on the forum, as I'm a VR lurker and someone who stays on VRIM, I'm again contributing to the discussions. It was a great idea and seems to have worked well so two thumbs up to that.

Could I get your user agent specs? Copy and paste the first row of information below the box off this page: http://floatzel.net/user-agent.htm (The box is old and likely won't be updated, as it's just a testing page for me.)

Let me know how it handles in other iOS browsers.

GreenMan June 27, 2012 09:43:22 PM

iOS browsers

4 Attachment(s)
Quick reply the all sometimes does what I said and other times it doesn't, today it was doing that though. Here is the information you asked for Cat.

Cat333Pokémon June 28, 2012 01:02:57 AM

Of those four, which cause issues?

Also, for everyone, would you rather the link takes you to the last post in the thread (which is what it currently does) or takes you to the first unread post of the thread? It's very easy to change it.

TurtwigX June 28, 2012 10:12:34 AM

The first unread post sounds good to me. When I open up a tab for the General Conversation after a while, I usually have to scroll up quite a bit to see what was new, so a change like that would help.

GreenMan June 28, 2012 10:15:02 AM

Yea they all had the same problem with the box not being aligned right, it hadn't been doing it for a while but yesterday it was doing it again.

Cat333Pokémon July 1, 2012 12:50:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtwigX (Post 249046)
The first unread post sounds good to me. When I open up a tab for the General Conversation after a while, I usually have to scroll up quite a bit to see what was new, so a change like that would help.

Anyone else have any views on what I should do for the linking to the last post?

isbragg July 1, 2012 07:37:18 PM

+1 for last unread.