Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   The Amazing iOS 6 Maps (not) (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=10598)

Twiggy September 20, 2012 08:58:44 AM

The Amazing iOS 6 Maps (not)

You're bound to get a good laugh or two with the atrocious maps that came with Apple's own mapping.

Gotta love melting/pancake structures and bridges.

PokeRemixStudio September 20, 2012 09:43:16 AM

My mom warned me not to update because some peoples' phones lost sound afterward, They took away streetview and walking instructions from the maps too.

NismoZ September 20, 2012 09:53:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In response to the melting stuff:

Besides, they're bound to fix at least some of the problems anyway.

Twiggy September 20, 2012 10:27:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoZ (Post 263322)
In response to the melting stuff:

Besides, they're bound to fix at least some of the problems anyway.

Remapping, huh? That might take a while. Besides, have you noticed that Apple maps are somehow messing up important areas or missing information on major cities around the world? (Apparently, Shinjuku Station doesn't exist.)

Shade September 20, 2012 01:45:10 PM

It depends on how new Shinjuku Station is. Most of these maps are really old and haven't been updated in years.

They're using old aerial pics from 1998 for the area around my house for example.

Cat333Pokémon September 20, 2012 05:03:49 PM

I particularly like the fine division of seasons in this picture.

Twiggy September 20, 2012 10:09:46 PM

What amazes me is that how some of the map data is out of date by several decades!

TurtwigX September 20, 2012 10:20:17 PM

After looking at a lot of these pictures, I think I'm glad I chose to be skeptical about iOS 6. It's not necessary. At all.

Twiggy September 20, 2012 10:33:49 PM

It's so bad that they felt it was necessary to do so.

Cat333Pokémon September 20, 2012 11:21:05 PM

I wonder how data can be really old, though. Did they use incredibly old maps to read the names of places without making sure they are up to date?

The Spirit of Time September 21, 2012 11:47:24 AM

Here in Dubai, the map provides no directions and the names of the important roads and place have either disappeared, or switched places. I didn't update my system.

Cat333Pokémon September 25, 2012 08:55:40 PM

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/1...xmzZxQiBw2.jpg

Berlin is now in Antarctica?

Twiggy September 28, 2012 08:23:37 AM

Tim Cook's apology on iOS 6 Maps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Cook
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

I guess it's really that bad when you have to apologize about the maps. I think given a few more years they should be on better ground...

Quadcentruo September 28, 2012 11:52:14 AM

According to Tom's Hardware, Apple is hiring Ex-Google Map workers to fix the iOS6 maps.