View Single Post
Old August 11, 2014, 09:26:34 AM
Giratina

It's been 4 whole months since I've posted anything? Well then, let me rectify that real fast...

BAM!

This was my 3-parter return to my 8-Bit remixing, thanks to a little help from a very good friend~ Since I am so heavily into rock music I decided I should challenge myself by remixing some rock songs. And what video game series does it better than Sonic? (Purely rhetorical, answer that and I'll kill you.) It took a lot of listening and debating which ones I liked most, but eventually I settled on Green Forest, Speed Highway, and Rooftop Run.

So let me break it down right here. Each song used the same basic framework; 2A03 pulses doing rhythm guitar, Triangle and Sawtooth were the bass, Noise and DPCM doing the only thing they can (drums), and the VRC6 pulses doing lead guitar. Rooftop Run is the special case as it also had a violin sound with the regular pulses. It took a hell of a lot of close listening, as sometimes the instruments were so garbled all I heard was noise. And, at times, that WAS the effect I wanted. But other times, like for Rooftop Run's bass, things were so garbled I could barely hear the track. Thankfully it all came out in the end into 3 masterpieces~

It was supposed to be in order of increasing quality, but I still like Green Forest more than Speed Highway. So now I guess it's just in order of length. My favorite is definitely Rooftop Run, so many good memories with that song. I believe it's the best thing I've done yet.

Oh, and here's an extra for that, too. Rooftop Run sounds really different when you isolate certain tracks.