View Single Post
Old September 14, 2014, 07:33:00 PM
Rayquaza

Okay here's my review of Jirachi Wishmaker

Hey a Brendan cameo, I look forward to seeing him in two more cameos and then never again. The opening narration is great and starts a trend of having the world of pokemon intro being amazing. Our heroes have taken a detour to see the millennial comet carnival or whatever. Which manages to get set up in three minutes real time, seriously there's being whimsy and then just showing off and getting boring. They go see a magic show and Max the great has some psychic connection with some random stone and of course he's able to go up on stage and be in the show. Eric Stuart directed this episode so of course Brock and James are given lots of extra lines. The chemistry between the group in this movie is really good especially between Max and May they're all acting like actual kids in this movie and not heroes automatically excepting of there role. Max immediately accepts the stone by the way and promises to be best friends with Jirachi. May sings a lullaby her mother sang to Max, it sounds nothing like her because they're using Japanese voice but it still works. Jira hi is then awoken, however it turns it can't grant wishes at all only teleport THEN WHY DO THEY CALL IT THE WISHING POKEMON!? Of course this all to push in a forced moral. More Team Rocket banter is here, but some of my favorite Team Rocket moments are in the movies of this saga so no big deal. Butler wants to use Jirachi's ability to use Doom Desire to create enough energy to create a Groudon, for Team Magma yes seriously. Well actually they laughed at him last time he tried and now he's doing it for his girlfriend? what? They run off to return to Jirachi's home in Forrina to avoid Butler even though he clearly put a tracking device so it knows where it's going oh wait now it's fallen off. I really like Butler as a villain you can really understand his motives and his relationship with Dianne is well played out. You gotta love the use of the instrumental Advanced Adventure. Pretty annoying how 4kids put in that pokeshipping reference when Ash has bonded with and released plenty of pokemon. Not only did Butler know that Jirachi and the group would return to Forina he set up his machines in the same place where Jirachi will rest. We then get a pretty awsome sky battle between Butler's Salamence and a wild Flygon with Max and Ash riding. The Groudon gets revived but of course it's a fake abomination that destroys everything living around it so we can have our close to death all is lost moment. Aw Diane sacrificed herself to save Butler, although baed off what we've seen this is more of a sign of an abusive relationship. I do like how Brock and May get sucked up but this leaves Ash and Max as able to do something during the climax which is nice since it isn't just Ash for once. Of course Butler is able to reverse the polarity of the jelly baby flow blah blah blah technobabble and save the day.I actually really enjoy this movie for two reasons, it's nice to have someone besides Ash be the focus of the movie force and the chemistry between the characters is really good. The music and animation are also top notch as usual and it's the only exception where they actually kept the ending credits music.

4/5