View Single Post
Old June 10, 2011, 07:30:01 PM
Regigigas

Well, I haven't fought the Elite Four personally, but I'm aware of what types they use and a fair few of their Pokemon. Interestingly enough, the types they use all have very unique correlation between each other out of many of the Types. As a result, one member of the Elite Four's typing is weak against and strong against one other member, typically. This also helps in terms of making them more of "equals" as opposed to a clear power hierarchy similar to the Gym Leaders, which I think is a good idea.

I recommend Zoroark for Shauntal, due to it's high Special Attack and Speed, as well as Dark-typing, which will give you the advantage against some of her slower, bulkier Pokemon. Zoroark could also be useful against Caitlin.

For Marshal, try Sigilyph, since is is 4x Resistant and Super-Effective against Fighting-types. It's Speed and decent Special Attack should also come in handy, since their Defenses are mainly along the Physical side of the spectrum (keep Sawk's Sturdy in mind, though). A strategy you could use (the one I personally use myself) is to teach Sigilyph Stored Power, Cosmic Power, Psycho Shift, and Roost, and give it a Flame Orb to hold. Also note that Sigilyph must have the ability Magic Guard. Firstly, use Cosmic Power on the first turn to increase Sigilyph's Defenses, then after getting burned by the Flame Orb, use Psycho Shift on the next turn to Burn the opponent (since Marshal's Pokemon rely on Physical Attacks, this will be very crippling. It will also render Sawk's Sturdy useless). Use Cosmic Power to continue boosting Sigilyph's Defense and Special Defense stats, using Roost to recover HP when need be. Once you've used it 6 times (you could probably stop at 3, though-chances are at that point none of his Pokemon would be able to KO it anyway, but it depends on your level), use Stored Power. Stored Power's Base Power starts at 20 and increases for every stat boost level your Pokemon has, meaning after 3 Cosmic Powers, it will have Base 140 Power (it is also a Psychic-type move, meaning you'll get STAB as well as a Super-Effective hit on Marshal's Pokemon). Note that you'll need to chain breed for this moveset-breeding Sigilyph with Natu or Xatu will get you Stored Power and Psycho Shift, Roost can come from Unfezant, Ducklett, or Swanna, and Sigilyph learns Cosmic Power at Level 48.

Conkeldurr would make a decent Fighting-type addition to battle Grimsley with, it should be able to plow through his Pokemon with a strong enough Mach Punch (Drain Punch also helps lessen the amount of Hyper Potions you need to rely on, besides being a great Psuedo-Recovery move in general this generation). Alternatively, Scrafty is more Defensive and has less raw Attack power in comparison to Conkeldurr, but it possesses a great dual Dark/Fighting typing, both which make for useful STAB moves. This also means Scrafty will be able to battle against Caitlin, Shauntal, and Grimsley, due to being unaffected by or resistant to all three of their types.

A fourth Pokemon which could be useful is Volcarona. Besides having a fantastic Base 135 Special Attack stat, and access to Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance, it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks, and strong against Dark-types. It's Fire STAB will also come in handy against Alder (specifically in regards to three of his Pokemon).

Next, your Starter will probably already be at a pretty high level, so you could add it in for extra type coverage (though if it's Emboar, it's redundant, as Volcarona will be able to take it's place fairly easily, and you can catch a Level 70 one in-game anyway.)

The first four options should be able to cover most of your problems. There really aren't any others that are particularly crucial (though someone else may end up suggesting something that could work well).