View Single Post
Old October 11, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
Keldeo

I meant to write this like a week ago but forgot

So, long story short, I finally compiled a playable version of this game. At least, I hope it's playable. More below.

relatively short because I only copied the parts that are included in the executable    
11:52 PM 9/30/2016	Added fire and one type of torch. Fixed the Fountain model template.
2:48 PM 10/1/2016 Made Cards work again, made Items work without needing a cutscene index, implemented leaf piles that explode and possibly give you an item when you walk into them. Removed item rarity variable.
10:33 PM 10/1/2016 Added some kind of global boolean variables. Doors can be locked using these variables - they also contain information on which Gym Badges you've won and stuff, so you can have doors that only open if you have a Gym Badge . . . or an item that "unlocks" a Gym Badge. Also, doors animate and the speed that they open can be controlled by the creator.
1:02 AM 10/2/2016 Removed almost 500 lines of code by refactoring data scripts. They're better organized now, too, and code isn't duplicated when creating data scripts for sub-objects of an Entity or Event type (since it can just call its parent object's data script). Also, leveled items work properly.
12:10 AM 10/3/2016 Filled in a bunch of the @todo notes (mainly math, which may or may not actually work)
10:15 PM 10/3/2016 A few unrelated things:
- Particles are quite a bit more efficient, appearing about 4X as dense for the about the same amount of computing time
- Water rings are more circular than they used to be
- Created CompassPointLocations, so the location icons appear on the compass if you're within about four cells of the location on the map (but there are no floating markers on the actual overworld)
11:26 PM 10/3/2016 Changed the way day/night audio is handled; instead of having multiple audio types for different times of day, the game pitches the base file differently depending on what time of day it is. Night = 0.8, morning = 0.95, afternoon = 1.0, evening = 0.95.

Here's a sister video to the "water effects" one of last time.

The interesting bit

This is currently a demo that does not contain plot, RPG battles or a lot of other things that are standard fare in completed games. But don't worry, as long as I don't die before I finish it, it will some day. Right now I'm kind of looking for people to fool around with it and find ways to crash it.

You can hit F2 to go into an editor which lets you throw around 3D objects, edit Pokémon, items, move data, etc. and a couple other things which may or may not work. You can zoom around with WASD like usual, and turn the camera with Middle Mouse. You can hit Right Mouse + F2 to jump the player to where the camera is in the editor - useful if you manage to clip through the terrain geometry or fall below z=0.

All of these links should go to a Google Drive folder that contains a Default.zip, a YYC.zip and a .gmz. Default uses the standard Game Maker interpreter and should work on all Windows computers but is somewhat slower, YYC has been compiled to machine code and should be considerably faster but may not work on computers with potatoes for graphics cards (example: mine), and the gmz can be extracted in Game Maker Studio to let you play around with the source code and let you laugh about how bad of a programmer I am. The parent directory also has a couple things in that which might be found interesting, but I don't remember if I enabled sharing on it or not.

Yes, these start at version 7.0.2.x. Shows you how long I've been screwing around with this. (Numbered versions not listed were probably shared for testing between me and my friends and never actually posted anywhere.)

Version 7.0.2.16

edit: forgot about this part

Current lines of code: 22,256

Last edited by Dragonite; October 12, 2016 at 07:43:06 AM.