View Single Post
Old November 4, 2016, 05:24:28 PM
Keldeo

In terms of real life I started a new job this month, which I guess is sort of useful, but I'm guessing most people reading this aren't interested in that part.

this has been fun    
3:06 PM 10/4/2016	Compressed all of the existing models. Changed the way water rings and splashes spawn. Fixed toilets. Fixed a bug in the db editor. Fixed what might have been a bug in the background music system.
8:12 PM 10/4/2016 Changed the way particle types are indexed the game. Fire now rises in the direction of the wind of the current weather.
1:11 AM 10/6/2016 Re-implemented HMs; animated Cut, Fly and Surf interactions
8:06 PM 10/6/2016 Animated a bunch of HMs, don't really like the way any of them turned out but whatever
11:08 AM 10/7/2016 Removed some useless stuff, added a raytrace shader, added a clock tower. Don't know if they actually work. Game Maker beta updates are being weird. Edit: it's working.
12:38 PM 10/7/2016 Added a pendulum to the clock tower and simplified the windmills. Dutch windmill pillar model somehow got un-textured. Oops.
9:09 PM 10/11/2016 Changed the way collision cells are loaded, maybe a few other things I don't remember
11:34 PM 10/14/2016 Bunch of things:
- Removed "textured?" information from models
- Removed "draw snow?" code (since footprints are drawn automatically anyway now)
- Removed obsolete NPC animation code
- Updated ETypes
- Updated NPC image system
9:00 AM 10/17/2016 Many more things:
- Fixed "RemoveItem/RemoveItemStack"
- Overhauled models; removed most of them from the game filesystem, on the assumption that most static ones will be saved as part of the level file anyway and the only ones that the editor needs access to will be ones that can be interacted with, etc
- Removed the "Interactable" switch, since now by default objects are interactable anyway
- Added tombstones
11:09 PM 10/19/2016 Book items partially implemented. They look really weird.
3:16 PM 10/20/2016 Recreated the game database file because it got corrupted somehow and Items/Moves were being read out of it incorrectly. Every single type of item can now have its own model representing it on the ground, instead of relying on the template defined by the Item Pocket. (Collision boxes are still the default Poké Ball, though, since I can't be bothered to implement that part.)
1:02 AM 10/24/2016 Fixed movement so it's not restricted to up/down/left/right (especially with controllers with analog sticks). Allowed for changing of a map cell location in the editor (apparently I never bothered to do that earlier). Added the Forest of Zeal visual cells and music for the same location.
6:11 PM 10/26/2016 Made comets that shoot down from the heavens at night. That's an hour of my life that I'm never getting back. They look pretty, though.
12:53 AM 10/27/2016 Fine-tuned comets.
5:29 PM 10/27/2016 Entity saving/loading from map files. Fine-tuned comets some more.
10:32 PM 10/28/2016 Comets drop items if they pass over the cell you're standing in.
12:27 AM 10/29/2016 Saving/loading NPCs from map file. Fixed "team" array; Test Pokémon cutscene works again.
12:40 AM 10/30/2016 Pokémon menu:
- refactored a lot of code
- reorganized the one massive script into many smaller scripts
- removed a few useless features (they can be readded later pretty easily if i ever get bored enough)
- straightened up a few errors in the GUI
- menu actually doesn't break when you use it constantly
4:07 PM 10/30/2016 Implemented volume control for different types of audio (music, system effects, etc) plus a Settings menu for it plus fancy slider bar things for the Settings menu.
10:40 AM 11/1/2016 Following NPCs. Normal NPCs can switch between following and not following through scripting.
11:36 AM 11/1/2016 NPCs can follow any character. They turn to face random directions when not following anybody. Created a variable to enable random movement but haven't implemented it.
11:40 PM 11/3/2016 Implemented NPC Pokémon. If they're linked to an NPC (or Player) they'll be treated as a party Pokémon, otherwise they'll be treated as the Species defined for them.
8:56 PM 11/4/2016 You can send out NPC Pokémon, or have them return to their Poké Balls. Fixed the annoying problem with texture pages causing NPC Pokémon sprites to contain random pixels of each other.

Main interesting things are the comets that appear at night time on occasion, the NPCs that follow you and the Pokémon that follow you. Especially the last one. I'll leave a video for the last one (although there are also videos for the other two things).

I'll also be trying to include semi-playable downloads more often now, since the game is sort of starting to take playable form. Same rules as last time apply. Also same as last time, the Default version should work but I have no idea about the YYC version because my computer literally can't handle my own compiled code.

Version 7.0.2.17

Current lines of code: 23,473

In other news, the Game Maker Studio 2 beta came out a few days ago. Been messing around with it a little. Looks extremely slick. Can't wait to use it once I get back into 2D games.

Last edited by Dragonite; November 4, 2016 at 05:25:45 PM.