View Single Post
Old October 3, 2014, 04:43:55 PM
Rayquaza

Balance of Power - In this episode Ash finally has his battle with Norman. It starts off pretty good, Brock talks about Ash's strategies and what Norman's is as well. Max continues to be annoying from previous episodes, routing for his dad I can understand why he'd look up to his dad so much but he's still spent a lot of time becoming a close friend with him (see Jirachi movie for example) plus we've never even seen Norman directly talk with Max or give him any of his own attention so this makes it more annoying. Or the fact that Norman is enjoying his battle with Ash and that's acting completely mature towards him. So to have him not care about whether Ash wins bothers me a lot. We also get a random sub plot about how Team Rocket is now building a Hoenn base that will get continued in the next episode. The battle does feel a little rushed with both pokemon knocking each other out twice in the episode. Ultimately Grovyle's Overgrow is activated and he manages to win. However Max is upset and steals his badge then locks himself in his Dad's greenhouse and starts crying. Agh Max never got on my nerves as much as he did here he just comes across to me as a complete brat. However, this steals leads to good characterization I'm not used to seeing the kids in this show act like well regular kids and not like this action came out of no where. Plus this counts as character development so I'm not taking away any points.

5/5

A Six Pack Attack - Why are all the fillers after gym battles always so awful? Our group is meeting up with Prof Birch who is meeting up with Oak. I like how Max is excited to meet him. Prof Birch is apparently a crazy driver in his car, just like everyone in this saga that drives a car. Oak apparently knows who Max is. Oak brought the Kanto starters to the Hoenn lab who are present with the Hoenn starters. And that's the basic point of this episode to Advertise FRLG and RS seriously this episode is based around this one gimmick how pointless. Of course Team Rocket wants to steal the starters. They how manage to get away with them offscreen despite always being around them. Agh seriously? May, Max and Oak travel to the base Team Rocket made in the last episode to free the starters and of course they fail. Once again even though Team Rocket succeeded they spend to much time celebrating and they mange to escape. I do find it funny though how Oak uses a head shot of him posing to trick Team Rocket into thinking they're not escaping, even though that prevents them from seeing anyone besides Oak. This episode is at least saved by Oak coming with clever plans to escape Team Rocket's base. Plus this episode foreshadows May capturing Bulbasaur. Oh man this was episode was still really pointless.

3/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; October 3, 2014 at 04:56:37 PM.