View Single Post
Old January 29, 2017, 08:08:52 PM
Keldeo

Whoa, has it been more than two months since I posted a major update in this?

Spoiler Alert:    
11:08 PM 12/4/2016	Code to manually load models from files, which will hopefully get rid of the memory leak issue that's apparently built into d3d_model_load with vertex-normal-texture-color.
8:14 AM 12/7/2016 Got rid of the code that was supposed to fix the memory leak, thanks to YoYo (apparently) fixing the GMS bug in an update.
9:23 AM 12/7/2016 Got following Pokémon to move around again. Not sure what was wrong in the first place. Controls are still backwards and you can still "talk" to "yourself," though.
9:57 PM 12/7/2016 Player invisibly "follows around" a controlled EntityNPCPokemon, so that takes care of the weird issues/annoying lag that happens when the controlled Pokémon is in a different cell from the Player. Also you can hit Escape (or talk to "yourself") to return to the regular Player.
10:14 PM 12/7/2016 Cutscenes (and events in general) disabled when controlling EntityNPCPokemon. Corrected the thing where all of the controls would be reversed when controlling one.
12:29 AM 12/8/2016 Speaking of control, there is now a basic ability to rebind (most) of them. Movement not counted since dealing with the sticks on a controller is a massive pain.
10:55 AM 12/8/2016 Control customization works, with some limitations.
12:27 AM 12/9/2016 Control customization, wrote a script to draw a pretty little button prompt on the screen when desired.
1:46 AM 12/9/2016 Stuff to go on the HUD when you're controlling a Pokémon (attack buttons and the battle info thing).
1:57 AM 12/10/2016 Controlling Pokémon HUD is probably finished. Have one "main" move attached to the A button, and you can cycle through with L2/R2. Can "use" moves (which don't do anything) and dock PP, until you run out of PP. Messages are done with the push notification system currently, which is kind of ugly.
10:00 PM 12/10/2016 Default move animation is a cloud of colored particles shooting off in front of the user. They stop when they hit a wall or run out of their range, but don't do anything to whatever they hit yet.
5:56 PM 12/12/2016 An event is triggered when an object is hit by a move. For now it does nothing but pass on the x, y and z of the collision and the IDs of the caster and the target.
2:38 AM 12/13/2016 Added a few FieldEffects, one that just tosses out a yellow spark on contact and one that creates a fire on contact.
6:02 PM 12/13/2016 NPCs frown at you when you hit them with an attack. My life is complete.
7:30 PM 12/13/2016 NPCs may show emoticons or complain when you hit them with an attack. This may be my new favorite feature to have programmed.
10:25 AM 12/29/2016 Added terrain made in the terrain creation program (parts of it, anyway), expanded the plane of water and simplified the collision mask, fixed a few bugs with the Yo Yo Compiler, maybe some other stuff
10:56 AM 12/29/2016 Confined the player's position to the actual game world, fixed some sound effects
3:46 PM 12/29/2016 Did some more stuff? (This is mainly just here so I can back it up to external drives)
2:41 PM 1/3/2017 Most of the game world has been added, size of the game filesystem has ballooned. Some progress on the stuff in the game world, including a few NPCs and lamp posts showing where the (intended) paths lead. Fixed an annoying bug where the YYC version would crash if you had a Pokémon use a move.
11:01 AM 1/4/2017 Sped up the "loading map" bit by somewhere between 30 and 50%
4:45 PM 1/4/2017 Increased run speed, increased jump height, removed random encounters, made fov expand while running and jumping, made footprints only spawn while you're on the ground
8:49 AM 1/5/2017 Run speed and jump height are functions of combinations of the character's calculated Speed stats and the moves they posses. Move limit has been reduced to two. An array of smaller changes and fixes.
10:07 AM 1/13/2017 World loads via buffer now, considerably faster than with the old method(s). Fixed teleportation. World collision shapes are cached because there appears to be a memory leak when freeing them.
10:59 AM 1/13/2017 Removed UI color options.
11:30 AM 1/14/2017 Took out a bunch of code related to battles, including battle effects and Abilities. Changed the Control Pokémon UI so that it's less cluttered and you only see the option to use A and B for your two moves. Fixed a bug involving controlled Pokémon not having the proper move data and crashing the game.
12:37 PM 1/15/2017 Implemented Mind Read, totally not ripped from Golden Sun.
11:08 AM 1/16/2017 Added random quotes to all loading screens, fixed data script for windmills.
11:56 AM 1/16/2017 Teleport move works. I don't have an model that could be used for the teleportation target, though.
12:36 PM 1/16/2017 Levitation works. Default behavior is to hover 32 pixels (6 feet) above where it started; things may behave oddly when they fall back to earth if there's something underneath where it wants to be. In any event, you can walk underneath the objects and I'm thinking of letting the player levitate Rock Smash boulders out of the way instead of destroying them if they want to.
9:59 PM 1/16/2017 Ironed out some bugs in various field moves, and fixed the way that projectile moves are cast into space.
12:38 AM 1/22/2017 Implemented Vine Whip, maybe a few other moves, made Teleport look a little nicer.
9:23 PM 1/23/2017 Rock Smash now has a charging animation, Pokémon can't water walk anymore, corrected the text showing the button prompts when controlling a Pokémon, maybe a few other things
6:21 PM 1/29/2017 A lot of bug fixes. Implemented "drowning" as opposed to the player stopping at the water's edge (where you return to the last NPC you spoke to when you enter the water without Surf). Gutted Natures since they did nothing and just crashed the game.
11:47 PM 1/29/2017 Edited demo island text so that it fits in the text box, and even remembered to create icons for the demo areas.

I haven't been updating that thing nearly as often as I should have been, but battles have officially been scrapped and this game is now entirely devoted to HMs, which I know the whole planet is going to be thrilled about.

Media

I'll update this post with video and probably screenshots tomorrow, it's kind of late and I want to sleep and stuff.

Download

Same rules as last time apply. Unlike last time, there's no Default version, only the YYC version, since I got that working on my computer and all the computers I've tested it on. You can have the source code too, if you want it.

Version 7.0.2.28

(You can assume the version numbers between the last one and this one were tests that I sent to my friends without officially putting out for the world to see.)

Update: game has several crashes. Since I'm moving on, I may or may not be fixing them.

Interested in game design?

Hit F2 while you're running around the game world and you'll have access to the game's debug mode. Or you can go into the game's filesystem and see what you can find. Feel free to play around, you might learn some things. (I will not be fixing crashes related to things that happen in Debug Mode, it's not the most stable thing in the world.)

Current lines of code: 24,506

It actually peaked at about 27,000, 28,000, don't quite remember, but I deleted a lot of scrapped features (and a lot of battle code) so it shrank quite a bit.

The end of Pokémon, and a new beginning

Yes, you just read that. For better or for worse, Nintendo's been way more pushy about enforcing their trademarks and all that jazz since even the last time I updated this thread, and between that and this game sticking out enough from the usual RPG Maker games I'm legitimately worried about getting shut down if this game ever gets big enough.

The source code and graphics and what have you isn't going anywhere. The Game Maker files'll still be in the download section for whoever wants to open it up and play around with it, and if the world of intellectual property ever relaxes itself (probably not) or if I'm still alive when the trademarks on Pokémon ever expire (it's complicated) I'll see if this project can still be opened up on future-generation technology and we can continue from there.

In the mean time, I'll be gutting the Pokémon graphics, data, sound, etc. from the VirgoNova engine and, at long last, making something original. Stick around, it should be a fun ride.

Last edited by Dragonite; January 30, 2017 at 07:45:07 AM.