View Single Post
Old November 29, 2014, 08:17:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Nah, I mostly laugh at those who are true Smogonites who follow their rules to a T, and I especially laugh at those who lack creativity and follow their movesets and team structures enough to have cookie cutter teams. How many times can you see Talonflame on Battle Spot before it gets boring and typical? It reminds me too much of the boring Smash Bros. players who gave rise to the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" meme.
How many times can you do anything before it gets boring and typical?

They follow those rules to a T for a reason any sensible person would: because they work. Even with the movesets. A meringue is made by whipping egg whites, and until people want to find another more interesting or more effective way of making a meringue they'll keep whipping egg whites. I'll admit that when I don't know what direction to go with when making a Pokémon I consult Smogon for some guidance. I don't follow it to a T, I still like having some creativity, but even those who do still have to put in work to get up there. And if they beat me, I wouldn't laugh at them for using some cookie cutter team, I could only do that if I prove myself better. It's like making a terrible paper airplane but still parading around because you didn't print yours from an online template.

And, continuing use of metaphor, there's nothing wrong with using a cookie cutter if you're afraid of making horridly ugly cookies. You just can't pass it off as your own invention. (Again, hypocritical because I even criticize people for using cookie cutters and box cake.)