View Single Post
Old July 22, 2016, 01:13:20 PM
Keldeo

I finally put something together worthy of a download version for you to try, if you want that. See the bottom.

I finally began my foray into real map design! Made a floating island and I'm probably going to outfit it with houses and a town and stuff eventually, but I'm not quite sure what else to put in it. Alternatively I could make it a sort of miniature forest/meadow/nature preserve, though I like the concept of having a city sitting half a mile in the air for no reason. Somewhat inspired by Zeal of Chrono Trigger.

Screenshots at the bottom, as attachments.

please do not question the logistics of keeping a massive clod of rock floating in the air

There's also a bunch of other things, like this.

Also it seems that I've been forgetting to bore you all to death with the changelog. This one includes a very fun incident involving completely breaking collision detection and having to dig out a backup and start all over!

i swear it gets longer every time    
8:05 PM 6/12/2016	Game window can be stretched around, or it can go into fullscreen mode. Everything works except for updating the cursor position accurately in menus.
8:42 PM 6/12/2016 Cursor position works properly
9:42 PM 6/12/2016 Mouse look in full screen works properly
10:45 PM 6/12/2016 Removed "use controller" option because it was pretty useless, replaced with a "control setup" option that doesn't do anything yet, re-implemented a formal "switch to/from fullscreen" option
6:11 PM 6/14/2016 Made movement a little bit more smooth.
12:16 PM 6/15/2016 Added CRT shader.
5:44 PM 6/15/2016 Model templates can have components that move.
4:10 PM 6/17/2016 Models can have alternate "skin" forms; i.e. the Route Signs are now all stored in as piece of information with multiple sub-models (but the same collision, texture, etc. properties)
8:10 PM 6/17/2016 Added options to change the crosshair, since a few people didn't really like the default one.
8:22 PM 6/18/2016 Object editor: Some formatting on model names in the list that you can click on to drag objects into the world. Makes it easier to read.
1:17 PM 6/22/2016 Modeled some flags, implemented them so that they can be added to the world as model templates. They're animated and flap around with speed proportional to the map's weather intensity setting.
1:14 PM 6/23/2016 Mailboxes, water fountains, a few other things. Made entity types with different data scripts, so I know how to do that now.
1:42 PM 6/23/2016 Fixed a bug where ground items wouldn't show up properly, added ground items to the list of Model Templates, made a data script for ground items
2:00 PM 6/24/2016 NPCs can be added through "model templates" menu, and you can edit (most) of their relevant properties
1:29 PM 6/26/2016 Object editor: Changed the "floor" so that it uses an actual collision model and doesn't just raycast downward from the (x, y, z) position
3:03 PM 6/26/2016 Game now uses global variables W and H for positioning things on the screen instead of room_width and room_height
5:11 PM 6/26/2016 Expanded the game window and made the Debug Stats thing its own little window instead of an annoying overlay at the top of the screen.
5:13 PM 6/26/2016 Removed the Pokétch because it looked pretty bad and will probably eventually be replaced by Key Items that do similar things.
1:32 AM 6/27/2016 Real-time/not-real-time in-game clock, plus setting to change how it ticks.
1:57 AM 6/27/2016 Sea level not drawn as part of "atmosphere" anymore. Not sure why it ever was to begin with, tbh.
2:39 AM 6/27/2016 Moved the required dll files to the root directory instead of some sub-folder somewhere, because that might have been causing problems because dlls are weird.
5:55 PM 6/28/2016 Got rid of Geometry Editor, because it's kind of useless now that I've taken to making game environments in GMMC.
11:38 PM 6/28/2016 Got rid of the SG Audio dll because it was causing problems for some people. Using the built-in audio system instead. Music is not working.
2:40 AM 6/29/2016 The problem with music was a problem with Windows having a fight with the GMAssetCompiler, not with the code. Music is working again. Wonderful.
3:04 AM 6/29/2016 Fixed a few annoying edge cases that have to do with things like starting and stopping a sound at the same time.
3:59 AM 7/1/2016 Programmed Cut and Rock Smash, plus templates that can be filled in to do the other HM moves. Some of them can accept multiple moves to activate the effect, i.e. Slash can also work for Cut. You know, since Slash is less useless in battle and carrying it around might infuriate fewer people.
4:13 AM 7/1/2016 Added "duplicate" HMs to represent the alternate moves. Also, it turns out you can give two items the same name and the game won't complain. That's kind of cool, I guess.
6:16 PM 7/5/2016 Moved a bunch of GUI code out of the GUI event, because for some reason the GUI event takes way longer to execute than the regular Draw event. Consequently, shaders now affect GUI elements, so be careful with that.
7:31 PM 7/5/2016 Removed the Terrain Editor, because I decided to run with the sort-of-grid-based DPPtHGSSBWB2W2XYORASSM terrain style.
11:49 PM 7/5/2016 Game fonts load from a sprite sheet instead of the normal resources. Quite convenient, for a number of reasons.
1:42 AM 7/8/2016 Added a few mountains, reformatted debug screen, optimized a few things (most notably the starbox)
REVERTED TO THIS ON 7/20/2016
12:36 AM 7/9/2016 Programmed a special terrain grid system, a dummied-down, automatic version of regular models. Each cell is 1024x1024 and has its own visible models (and ideally LOD models, in the future) that are drawn automatically, and they automatically load/unload their collision models when the player enters/exits the cell.
(Currently this ONLY covers the cell that the player is standing in, and will ONLY do collisions for the player properly 100% of the time. If you try to check collisions for, say, an NPC or the physics ball it won't detect the terrain geometry of other cells and will probably not behave as intended.)
* 12:48 AM 7/9/2016 Added a data script for ModelTerrainCell that basically says that you can't select it.
* 11:24 PM 7/16/2016 Draw water with models instead of d3d floors, which turn out to be unbelievably slow
* 10:58 PM 7/17/2016 Added yet more information to the "time scale" menu option, because . . . I can.
* 11:25 PM 7/17/2016 Fixed a bug with the game's internal clock not updating properly and now apparently several otherwise problems related to that system have been magically fixed. All I did was scope a measly little variable.
* 11:50 PM 7/17/2016 Fog depth does a transition when you enter an area with different weather settings.
* 12:02 AM 7/18/2016 Size of the sun does a transition when you enter an area with different weather settings. It looks INCREDIBLY strange. Also made the color of the sun yellow instead of colorless, which it should be.
* 1:30 PM 7/18/2016 More weather settings.
* 3:51 PM 7/18/2016 "Darkness" and "Total Darkness" are now weather types, defined by things like low fog distances, black sky and no sun. Total darkness also has a gray lighting instead of white.
* 7:02 PM 7/18/2016 Added a plain old "Fog" weather stype. Weather types now render clouds and the option to not draw stars.
* 1:53 AM 7/19/2016 Almost all weather works, except for the fact that most of them sort of override "night." I imagine this shouldn't be TOO difficult to fix.
* 10:02 AM 7/19/2016 Collisions with non-terrain entities don't work. Traced the error's appearence back to July 9, when the terrain grid was introduced, but I have no idea what the cause is.
* 2:43 PM 7/19/2016 Removed the objects-removed-from-collision-if-certain-distance-away code, collisions with non-terrain entities still don't work.
* 3:09 PM 7/19/2016 Took a break from collision problems and added map points that show up on the overhead compass and on the overworld.
8:52 PM 7/20/2016 Still can't figure out why collisions stopped working so i just went back to the July 7 backup and will be re-adding EVERYTHING. (this is not going to be fun.)
4:29 PM 7/21/2016 Re-implemented compass points, some of the weather code, and slowed the physics ball down so it doesn't go rocketing fifty miles if you hold down the B button. Game compiles, starts and doesn't crash, thank god.
9:23 PM 7/21/2016 Object editor: caught a potential array index out of bounds error. Removed the Pokémon DLL and implemented all of the math in native code to keep things simple.
4:48 PM 7/22/2016 Removed the Pokémon DLL and SGAudio DLLs from the Included Files, since they're not used anymore.

Download

Here. Windows only, extract and double-click the executable to run it, all the usual stuff. Hopefully shouldn't trigger your antivirus, although one of the data files has the extension "vir" so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Tested the executable a little and it SHOULD do everything properly, though if you find anything let me know. You can run around and talk to people and run up the side of that round mountain because I haven't made a proper collision model for it yet and the slope is technically still within the game's "climb height" (and the unfinished mountains don't have collision information associated with them at all, yet).

You can hit F2 to go into the editor and screw around with a bunch of settings if you want to, it should be pretty self-explanatory.

Right click/press B to throw the physics ball, which is good for testing collisions with distant objects.

There's a semi-functional quest marker system, the dude that gives you a bunch of items has an exclamation point over his head, though unfortunately nothing you can do will make that ever go away.

If you're in the editor, you can leave it with F2 and the camera'll zoom back to where your character last was. If you want the character to zoom to the camera instead, hit Right Mouse + F2.

Escape pauses the game, you can quit or change a bunch of settings from there.

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MU0JTGl.png
Views:	298
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	6867   Click image for larger version

Name:	GJvy9mU.png
Views:	297
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	6868   Click image for larger version

Name:	4ADokS5.png