View Single Post
Old September 13, 2014, 10:32:10 AM
Rayquaza

Okay here's my final thoughts on Pokemon Advanced.

Character Analysis     

Ash - Probably my favorite aspect of this series is that we have Ash finally showing some real character development. Not only is he pretty mature as a trainer but he clearly knows what he's doing, well most of the time at least. It's really shown off how much he's grown in the role of mentor he plays towards May and how he actually wanted to give back his gym badge by seeing it as an unfair match. He may have his moments of stupidity but he's clearly smarter and that's still a vast improvement

May - It's only the first season of AG and it's already pretty clear by the end that she has changed. In the first she admits she doesn't even like pokemon and is only interested in becoming a trainer so she can travel. I can't blame her on this fact I love traveling too although I do find it odd how her father is a gym leader and her brother being so studious that she wouldn't know anything about pokemon. However as the series goes on she learns to make plenty of bonds with pokemon and learn more about them. It's shown in the middle of this season that she cares a lot about pokemon. Her lack of confidence is shown during her first contest and it's understandable why, but as the show goes on it does continue

Max - A lot of people consider Max to be the fourth wheel of AG. However I disagree with that I actually really like Max. I mean having this younger kid how is smarter then Ash and always correcting him as a young fan I actually really liked him he's kind of like a surrogate for the young know it all pokemon fan. His role doesn't feel uneven in fact it actually counterbalances Brock's role, May gets so much attention with contests having two other slightly minor character makes Brock's role. Besides throughout the show he does a lot more then Brock did last season. His main shining moment would probably be when he got into a pokemon battle and lost and realizes while he knows a lot he's still got a lot to learn before becoming a pokemon trainer. That perspective alone ads a lot to a new fan of the show as well. That and it was also nice not having Ash wonder off on his own sometimes, because as I said earlier he can't hold an episode on his own.

Brock - Brock is Brock he's just there to be the mother/daddy of the group still, cleaning, cooking and being the oldest and wisest while also hitting on as many girls as possible, he catches two new pokemon this season and takes care of Sharpedo and that's it.

Team Rocket - This is the season where Weezing and Arbok get released and i couldn't care less for them, there captures or even there giant mechas there still just another distraction to stretch out the episode.

Ash's Pokemon - Unlike previous seasons the pokemon in this show now usually have a lot more personality. Pikachu doesn't do much this season it finally learns iron tail which it still knows to this day but other then saying it's name not much else. Tailow will probably go on to be one of Ash's strongest flying types however it did very little this season other then helping find out to get a sky view of helping find Team Rocket. Treeko is a fan favorite unlike Ash's previous pokemon he's super serious and determined to not let his pride get him down, he's probably the main pokemon in this saga that gets the most screentime aside from pikachu. Corphish is kind of jerk an idiot but a jerk, not much beyond that though.

May's Pokemon - Beautifly will never do anything other then look pretty for contests. Torchic on the other hand despite not getting used until way later in show for a contest it's commonly clumsy and stupid kind of a reflection of May as a trainer in the beginning, it didn't get any development yet but it will.

Brock Pokemon - The only one of his pokemon worth noting would probably Lotab it's very absent minded and funny it also knows two moves it should learn through level up but only through egg moves making this lotad most likely hacked.

Final Thoughts    
As whole Advanced is pretty good there's plenty of character development, likable characters and even the pokemon and characters of the day are pretty memorable. However it still has the reek of Johto on it, early on there are plenty of slow and pointless fillers. As the series goes on and we get more contests and character development it does get better but so much of it is just so slow but the season did leaves on a high note 

3.5/5

5 to Watch
Having a Wailord of a time
Gonna Rule School
A Three Team Scheme
Now that's what I call flower Power
A Poke-Block Party

3 to skip
Jump For Joy
Turning over a Nuzleaf
A mudkip mission

Last edited by Magmaster12; September 13, 2014 at 01:59:20 PM.