View Single Post
Old November 30, 2014, 09:22:47 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
How many times can you do anything before it gets boring and typical?

They follow those rules to a T for a reason any sensible person would: because they work. Even with the movesets. A meringue is made by whipping egg whites, and until people want to find another more interesting or more effective way of making a meringue they'll keep whipping egg whites. I'll admit that when I don't know what direction to go with when making a Pokémon I consult Smogon for some guidance. I don't follow it to a T, I still like having some creativity, but even those who do still have to put in work to get up there. And if they beat me, I wouldn't laugh at them for using some cookie cutter team, I could only do that if I prove myself better. It's like making a terrible paper airplane but still parading around because you didn't print yours from an online template.

And, continuing use of metaphor, there's nothing wrong with using a cookie cutter if you're afraid of making horridly ugly cookies. You just can't pass it off as your own invention. (Again, hypocritical because I even criticize people for using cookie cutters and box cake.)
Thank you Turt. Could nto have said it better myself.