View Single Post
Old September 21, 2014, 06:20:57 PM
Rayquaza

Coming in two days late because I'm now back from New York.

Pros and Con Artists - We're already about to have May's second contest and she's actually really confident this time. One trainer has a Medicham a pokemon that makes so few appearances in this saga for the longest time I thought it was a Gen IV pokemon. Her trainer is quite hilarious. She's clearly another rival for the contest, we never see her again, but it's pretty clear the writers are trying to find out which characters could work as long time rivals and which can't. Of course the the title of this episode comes from Team Rocket scheming everyone with pokeblocks. Pokeblock Gold and Pokeblock Silver.The give one to Jessie's Wobbuffet and this happens.
Capture the screenshot kids    

Drew then challenges Ash to a battle, I'd like to remind at this stage he's pretty much still a Gary clone but it's nice seeing Ash battle someone else's rival. Hey trainer's choice makes sense for once. Seriously though Ash's battle against Drew makes no sense, Drew's Roselia beats his Tailow by flying up really high and Ash lost. This is the last episode where James does crossdressing. May considers using Team Rocket's pokeblock but the trainer of the day blows there cover and May realizes only a true trainer would make her own pokeblock, good moment of character development for May.

5/5

Come What May - We barely see the preliminaries in this episode, May uses the same strategy as last time. This kind of annoying since those would go on to be the best part of the contest. Jessie enters the contest as Jessica and she doesn't enter as Jessie because, well I don't know and tries to win by cheating of course. Jessica, Drew, May and the trainer of the day are of course the only ones to proceed. Jessie and May battle and there's absolutely no tension to this battle because May has beat Jessie many times already by this point. After getting caught cheating Team Rocket decides to attack any ways. You'd think after getting caught cheating they'd have May battle the person that almost got into the next round but nope. There's a lot of tension to this battle between trainer of the day and Drew since we just saw him beat Ash's tailow. Drew ends up loosing without giving any damage. I'd like take this moment to point out the anime writers still make psychic types like Medicham way too overpowered. Also trainers choice in this episode actually makes sense for once. This is the first contest battle that feels like an actual contests battle they show off some great moves while trying to show off there beauty while May has a strategy she learned from watching Ash's battle with Drew. Despite winning May still seems to lack confidence.
Despite no preliminary this is the first of many great contest battles.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; September 21, 2014 at 06:56:44 PM.