Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the Skarmbliss clause be put into effect? (Read page 5-6)
Yes 6 66.67%
No 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old February 14, 2010, 04:10:08 PM

Default Discussion - MARCH TOURNAMENT (with a twist) Pokémon D/P/Pt/HG/SS

Okay, first of all, I did get permission from Cat to post this early. Making a hardcore team does take some time, so an extra two weeks was given. Also, LiteTheIronMan is co-hosting the tournament with me.

So, the twist is that you may only use Second Generation Pokémon. I'm going to make this very clear. You may not use anything is not in National Dex numbers from 1-151, 202, and 249-493.

As of right now, I don't have that many rules, but here we go

Rule that shouldn't have to be said: NO HACKING

1. No use of übers. That basically means no Lugia, Ho-oh, Wobbuffet, or Celebi.
Rule 1. Addition: The use of Azumarill with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet is not permitted.

2. Battles shall be conducted in 6 on 6 style. A level 50 all rule will be put into place.

3. This will be conducted in single battle.

4. Only one item of any kind can be used on the team.

5. Clauses in play: Sleep clause, Species clause, SkarmBliss Clause, Item clause, OHKO clause, Evasion clause, Explosion clause

6. You may only have ONE of the following on your team: , , , (Tell me if any should be added)

Assuming no one uses not fully evolved Pokémon, here's what you're left with:
Spoiler Alert:    
Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ledian, Ariados, Crobat, Lanturn, Togetic, Xatu, Ampharos, Bellossom, Azumarill, Sudowoodo, Politoed, Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunflora, Yanma, Quagsire, Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Slowking, Misdreavus, Girafarig, Forretress, Gligar, Steelix, Granbull, Qwilfish, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Sneasel, Ursaring, Magcargo, Piloswine, Corsola, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Houndoom, Kingdra, Donphan, Porygon 2, Stantler, Smeargle, Hitmontop, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Tyranitar

Thank you to Sableyed for making this.

So without any further hesitation, let the discussion... BEGIN!

Last edited by Ditto616; March 17, 2010 at 05:14:55 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 04:16:24 PM
Shaymin

I suppose we should start talking about clauses now?

No two of the same Pokemon
No two of the same held item
No two Pokemon asleep or frozen (Sleep/Freeze clause)
SelfDestruct/Explosion Clause

Are those good? Should we add more/remove these?
Old February 14, 2010, 04:29:53 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
I suppose we should start talking about clauses now?

No two of the same Pokemon
No two of the same held item
No two Pokemon asleep or frozen (Sleep/Freeze clause)
SelfDestruct/Explosion Clause

Are those good? Should we add more/remove these?
I think that the OHKO and Evasion clauses should also be added, as they're quite standard in competitive play.

Also, number 6 on the rules list doesn't seem necessary if the Species Clause is being used.
Old February 14, 2010, 04:37:11 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
I think that the OHKO and Evasion clauses should also be added, as they're quite standard in competitive play.

Also, number 6 on the rules list doesn't seem necessary if the Species Clause is being used.
That's just so we can limit the amount of Raikou, Suicune, Tyranitar, and Entei being used in the tourney. Even if they aren't uber, they are still really tough. Wouldn't make sense to have all four of those and then, like, two random Pokemon, would it?

...That was a lousy comparison, but you hopefully get my point.
Old February 14, 2010, 04:43:51 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
That's just so we can limit the amount of Raikou, Suicune, Tyranitar, and Entei being used in the tourney. Even if they aren't uber, they are still really tough. Wouldn't make sense to have all four of those and then, like, two random Pokemon, would it?

...That was a lousy comparison, but you hopefully get my point.
Oh haha oops I think I misunderstood the rule! I thought it was saying you couldn't have multiple of those Pokemon, like three Suicunes, and Species Clause was just being ignored.

A misunderstanding, the rule makes plenty of sense to me now.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:10:18 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
5. Clauses in play: (to be discussed)
SLEEP CLAUSE! GO!

Sleep clause is a standard rule in competitive battle!
Old February 14, 2010, 06:56:46 PM
Rayquaza

How about no statuses what so ever.

Last edited by Magmaster12; February 14, 2010 at 06:57:06 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:02:17 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
You're no fun...

Besides, some attacks will induce status effects without trying, and some abilities like Static and Spore will also have to be taken into account. We can't go around and ban everything like that.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:24:22 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I should hope that your kidding! This work pretty much eliminate a major part of battling! Brute force would be the only available option!
Old February 14, 2010, 08:42:40 PM
Regigigas

Interesting. I doubt I'll make a new team, just piece together bits from my other teams. Still should be fun. One thing though: Maybe we should let pokemon like Weavile and Gliscor in. Pokemon who are Gen 2 at heart, but got a nice boosting evolution.

Last edited by Sableyed; February 14, 2010 at 08:46:49 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:54:36 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Interesting. I doubt I'll make a new team, just piece together bits from my other teams. Still should be fun. One thing though: Maybe we should let pokemon like Weavile and Gliscor in. Pokemon who are Gen 2 at heart, but got a nice boosting evolution.
Ditto and I actually did talk about this one. We decided against it however, decided that we would stick strictly to Gen 2 only.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:58:48 PM
Regigigas

Aww, I wanted Togekiss...

On the off chance you change your mind, heres the list of Pokemon:
Togekiss
Ambipom
Yanmega
Honchkrow
Mismagius
Gliscor
Weavile
Mamoswine
Old February 15, 2010, 04:16:54 AM
Charizard

F.E.A.R. Pokemons are allowed?
Old February 15, 2010, 07:38:49 AM
Volcarona

So far I like it. Especially the use of one of Entei, Suicune, Raikou, or Tyranitar.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:53:34 AM
Shaymin

I do like the idea of using the evolutions who are 2nd generation at heart but yes you should keep it 2nd generation only.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:01:07 AM
Giratina

Quote:

Rule that shouldn't have to be said: NO HACKING1. No use of übers. That basically means no Lugia, Ho-oh, Wobbuffet, or Celebi.

2. A level 50 all rule will be put into place.

3. This will be conducted in single battle.

4. Only one item of any kind can be used on the team.

5. Clauses in play: (to be discussed)
Sleep Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause

Freeze Clause is definitely a no, since you can't possibly control when will your opponent be frozen. It is really non-sense to have it in play.

6. You may only have ONE of the following on your team: , , , (Tell me if any should be added)

That's a great decision and should be kept as it is.

Old February 15, 2010, 08:49:37 AM
Regigigas

It it 6 on 6, right?
Old February 15, 2010, 12:56:20 PM
Keldeo

Aww good to know tyranitors on that list of limited pokes~! =w=
Although I don't think Entei should be with the other limited pokes.

His semi-bulkiness is wasted by his fire typing, having weaknesses to common attack types like water, ground and rock. His movepool is also too small making him rather predictable without the use of hidden power. Im not saying hes bad, just not all that amazing.

Last edited by Sunny; February 15, 2010 at 12:56:49 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:50:26 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Aww good to know tyranitors on that list of limited pokes~! =w=
Although I don't think Entei should be with the other limited pokes.

His semi-bulkiness is wasted by his fire typing, having weaknesses to common attack types like water, ground and rock. His movepool is also too small making him rather predictable without the use of hidden power. Im not saying hes bad, just not all that amazing.
I do agree with Sunny about how in the standard metagame Entei is none-too-impressive, but in this tourney I think he's found a useful niche.

Only Generation 2 Pokemon are allowed. Hmmmm, what's a Generation 2 Pokemon that seems VERY popular nowadays? Why, Scizor! Scizor doesn't have any attacks that will be Super-Effective on Entei (except Hidden Power, haha yeah right), and if the popular Choice Band version of Scizor is used, Entei can easily switch into moves like Bullet Punch, and if the Scizor stays in, moves like Fire Blast and Overheat can score an easy kill.

Just saying, Entei may prove useful.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:35:26 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
I do agree with Sunny about how in the standard metagame Entei is none-too-impressive, but in this tourney I think he's found a useful niche.

Only Generation 2 Pokemon are allowed. Hmmmm, what's a Generation 2 Pokemon that seems VERY popular nowadays? Why, Scizor! Scizor doesn't have any attacks that will be Super-Effective on Entei (except Hidden Power, haha yeah right), and if the popular Choice Band version of Scizor is used, Entei can easily switch into moves like Bullet Punch, and if the Scizor stays in, moves like Fire Blast and Overheat can score an easy kill.

Just saying, Entei may prove useful.
Like I said im not calling him useless. He just doesn't excel at either a sweeper or a tank.

I considered the fact that only gen 2 pokemon will be used, but 1 good match up doesn't cut it for me to put him singled out with the likes of Suicune and tyranitor. Besides, pretty much every fire pokemon in gen 2 like houndoom and typhlosion counters scizor....unless your name is Magcargo/Slugma. :V Gen 2 is filled with strong water types like Kingdra, Suicune, Azumarill, slowking, politoed and feraligatr (qwilfish too I suppose. I still don't like rain support pokemon) I think it balances Entei out. Entei is very hit and miss. Dominates grass and metal types, but is beaten by most things water or packing earthquake...or both. Again hes not terrible. He makes an excellent bug/steel counter ( ) but I feel that the only reason hes up there is because hes part of the legendary dog trio.

Last edited by Sunny; February 15, 2010 at 02:36:32 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:45:09 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Like I said im not calling him useless. He just doesn't excel at either a sweeper or a tank.

I considered the fact that only gen 2 pokemon will be used, but 1 good match up doesn't cut it for me to put him singled out with the likes of Suicune and tyranitor. Besides, pretty much every fire pokemon in gen 2 like houndoom and typhlosion counters scizor....unless your name is Magcargo/Slugma. :V Gen 2 is filled with strong water types like Kingdra, Suicune, Azumarill, slowking, politoed and feraligatr (qwilfish too I suppose. I still don't like rain support pokemon) I think it balances Entei out. Entei is very hit and miss. Dominates grass and metal types, but is beaten by most things water or packing earthquake...or both. Again hes not terrible. He makes an excellent bug/steel counter ( ) but I feel that the only reason hes up there is because hes part of the legendary dog trio.
Hmmmm, true, I'm sure that many trainers wouldn't be willing to lose Tyranitar, Suicune, or Raikou for Entei. The only form of Entei that I can imagine would be very useful is a SunnyBeamer, becuase he would have something to take down Water-types with (especially Quagsire!) and the sun would make it hard for Surfs and Hydro Pumps to OHKO Entei. Plus the increase in Fire-type moves would be of great use. However, unless a Sunny Day team was being used (hard to make a good one with only Gen. 2 Pokemon) then this set may not work well, and the last nail in the coffin would be the Sandstorm-bringing beast Tyranitar, who gets rid of the sunlight, receives a 50% boost to his Sp.Def in the Sand, and can hit hard with either Stone Edge, Aqua Tail, or Earthquake. What a jerk.

But Entei's still cool .

Last edited by Alakazamaster; February 15, 2010 at 02:49:06 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:37:12 PM
Regigigas

Here's a list of the pokemon people can use in this tourny, assuming nobody uses unevolved pokemon:

Spoiler Alert:    
Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ledian, Ariados, Crobat, Lanturn, Togetic, Xatu, Ampharos, Bellossom, Azumarill, Sudowoodo, Politoed, Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunflora, Yanma, Quagsire, Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Slowking, Misdreavus, Girafarig, Forretress, Gligar, Steelix, Granbull, Qwilfish, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Sneasel, Ursaring, Magcargo, Piloswine, Corsola, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Houndoom, Kingdra, Donphan, Porygon 2, Stantler, Smeargle, Hitmontop, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Tyranitar

\
Old February 15, 2010, 03:42:04 PM

Thank you for making that list. I'm going to put that in the first post now. I'll give you credit for that. *yoink*
Old February 15, 2010, 03:58:50 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Hmmmm, true, I'm sure that many trainers wouldn't be willing to lose Tyranitar, Suicune, or Raikou for Entei. The only form of Entei that I can imagine would be very useful is a SunnyBeamer, becuase he would have something to take down Water-types with (especially Quagsire!) and the sun would make it hard for Surfs and Hydro Pumps to OHKO Entei. Plus the increase in Fire-type moves would be of great use. However, unless a Sunny Day team was being used (hard to make a good one with only Gen. 2 Pokemon) then this set may not work well, and the last nail in the coffin would be the Sandstorm-bringing beast Tyranitar, who gets rid of the sunlight, receives a 50% boost to his Sp.Def in the Sand, and can hit hard with either Stone Edge, Aqua Tail, or Earthquake. What a jerk.

But Entei's still cool .
FFFF crap, I completely forgot about solarbeam. .-. If anyone does carry a sunny day team that completely nullify my argument. ;~; Although now I really feel like making a solarbeaming Entei for this tourney~!

Ampharos is definitely going on my team~! Toooo cute~! =w=
Old February 15, 2010, 04:09:19 PM
Regigigas

I've got 5 pokemon for my team, but I can't decide on a 6th one. I kind of want a piloswine, but I don't want to raise a swinub 40 levels. *Sigh*

Also, I still want to know if it's 6 on 6 or 3 on 3.
Old February 15, 2010, 04:19:47 PM

Oh, whoops. It'll be a 6 on 6, unless we get enough people not wanting that. I think that's the only way to do a true battle, if you ask me. I'll fix that right now.
Old February 16, 2010, 05:43:09 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Oh, whoops. It'll be a 6 on 6, unless we get enough people not wanting that. I think that's the only way to do a true battle, if you ask me. I'll fix that right now.
6 on 6.

Why would there be a 3 on 3? It wouldn't be fun at all.
Old February 16, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
6 on 6.

Why would there be a 3 on 3? It wouldn't be fun at all.
Eh, it could be kinda Battle Frontier-esque. Still, there's no way I would want 3 vs 3 during a tournament. It makes it harder to make a well-rounded team, because if your oponnent got lucky and killed your only counter to something, you would be doomed.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:52:46 AM
Volcarona

This tournament is a good start for the release of HG and SS.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:19:43 AM
Banned

question! if your using platnum in the tournament can you change and use HG or SS?
Old February 18, 2010, 11:27:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCharizard View Post
question! if your using platnum in the tournament can you change and use HG or SS?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Any of D/P/Pt/HG/SS is usable. If you're asking if you want to switch between battles, it would have to be the exact same Pokémon, so you would have to trade. If you mean that you train your Pokémon on Platinum and then trade them to either HG or SS, there's no problem with that. In fact, I was thinking of doing that.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:19:30 AM
Banned

ok all of does anwsered my question but i want in on this
Old February 20, 2010, 08:47:18 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
ok all of does anwsered my question but i want in on this
Signups won't be till next month, when the current tourney in progress (Sunny's NFE Baby tourney) is over.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:48:29 AM
Banned

oh well i can wait
Old February 25, 2010, 09:21:31 AM
Shaymin

Aw Lv. 50s...aww...Lv. 100s are longer and more intense...plus your Pokemon do ten times more damage. =\

@Magmaster12: No. Nonononono. Never. No. No way. No.

Otherwise, everything looks in order, but may I suggest having the tourney exactly a week after HG/SS releases? It'd provide more than enough time for obtaining Pokemon(especially since Lv. 50 doesn't count EV training) for your team while still allowing order and not having a end of the month MKWii fiasco. =P (especially since HG/SS releases on a Sunday)

Now to find a Pokemon to replace one on my planned team...
Old February 25, 2010, 09:28:47 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
I think Ditto didn't address the question right, what I think you mean is if you are battling in Round 1 with a copy of HG/SS, can you change and do Round 2 with D/P/Pt. or basically a different game altogether.

This makes me wonder though, that could be used for multiple teams across a few different games. Is the rule "Round 1 team = Final Round team" or a "Use whatever you want each round"?
Old February 25, 2010, 02:52:03 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Aw Lv. 50s...aww...Lv. 100s are longer and more intense...plus your Pokemon do ten times more damage. =\
To bad the defending pokemon has 10 times more defense, sp.def, and HP. :V only diffrence between lvl 50 and 100 is howmuch EV stats have been added. Its no biggie. Im an EV trainer...but I can like ohmahgosh so totally win in this tourney like ohmahgosh! *shot for ego*
Old February 25, 2010, 03:25:30 PM
Kyurem

Indeed, there will be quite a bit of skill involved when it is played at lvl. 50, since trainers can't fall back on their EV'd Pokemon when they start to lose! I'm all for it, even though I EV train.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:21:58 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
To bad the defending pokemon has 10 times more defense, sp.def, and HP. :V only diffrence between lvl 50 and 100 is howmuch EV stats have been added. Its no biggie. Im an EV trainer...but I can like ohmahgosh so totally win in this tourney like ohmahgosh! *shot for ego*
Eh...EV's don't count AT ALL. It's 50-set, not Free 50.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:35:48 PM
Volcarona

I thing this tournament will be moved to April, cause of the Server move.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:00:14 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Eh...EV's don't count AT ALL. It's 50-set, not Free 50.
Does it really matter whether its free or set? .-. Half the EVs gained will still be distributed I think, unless im missing something.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:43:38 PM
Rayquaza

Well, I think it should be a double battle tourment.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:48:23 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Well, I think it should be a double battle tourment.
Maybe make a poll to settle this? I prefer single battles greatly over doubles. =\
Old February 26, 2010, 03:53:32 PM

@James: A tournament postponement has happened before. The tournament doesn't necessarily need to switch months. Sunny's will be held the first weekend, while this one will be held the last weekend, on Sunday to be exact.

@Mag: It's single battle because double battles weren't introduced into the Pokémon franchise until the third generation
Old February 26, 2010, 06:32:12 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
@James: A tournament postponement has happened before. The tournament doesn't necessarily need to switch months. Sunny's will be held the first weekend, while this one will be held the last weekend, on Sunday to be exact.

@Mag: It's single battle because double battles weren't introduced into the Pokémon franchise until the third generation
Alright, thanks for clearing that up.
Old February 28, 2010, 12:46:36 AM
Zoroark

im up for this.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:10:12 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
im up for this.
As I have stated previously, this is not the time or proper thread for signups. Signups won't begin until the previous tournament, Sunny's NFE Baby Pokemon tournament, is over.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:04:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think Ditto didn't address the question right, what I think you mean is if you are battling in Round 1 with a copy of HG/SS, can you change and do Round 2 with D/P/Pt. or basically a different game altogether.

This makes me wonder though, that could be used for multiple teams across a few different games. Is the rule "Round 1 team = Final Round team" or a "Use whatever you want each round"?
Yeah thanks man that anwsers the queston i had
Old February 28, 2010, 09:30:16 AM
Shaymin

We actually don't know yet if we can do that we need someone (like Ditto) to answer it.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:15:45 AM

I don't think that you should be able to switch one Pokémon out for another in between rounds in a tournament. For example, it's not fair to have one person face one team and then have the next person face a whole new team completely. The first person may have had more of a chance of winning. As for switching games, I see no problem in it AS LONG AS the team is the same for reasons I just explained.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:35:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I don't think that you should be able to switch one Pokémon out for another in between rounds in a tournament. For example, it's not fair to have one person face one team and then have the next person face a whole new team completely. The first person may have had more of a chance of winning. As for switching games, I see no problem in it AS LONG AS the team is the same for reasons I just explained.
^This^

I does seem unfair to have a team that switches around, because it rather takes away the point of team building. However, I think it should be allowed to transfer a team to another game, though that wouldn't make alot of sense...
Old March 1, 2010, 01:57:48 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
As I have stated previously, this is not the time or proper thread for signups. Signups won't begin until the previous tournament, Sunny's NFE Baby Pokemon tournament, is over.
I wasn't signing up but merely stating that it would be a good tournament and fun.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:56:59 AM
Giratina

Something about Azumarill,
-Huge Power: Nice
-Belly Drum: Owchie
-Aqua Jet (without belly drum): Tactical
-Belly Drum AND Aqua Jet: Broken, which means Banned!!
Old March 1, 2010, 11:03:08 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Damn. xD And I was hoping no one would have mentioned that. =p Anywho, yes this is actually a lesser known competitive rule, that you can not have both belly drum and a first strike priority move on the same poke. :V Not sure about baton passing belly drums though.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:09:25 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Not sure about baton passing belly drums though
I'm not sure either.

Also, I'm pretty sure its against the rules to have two or more "egg moves" (moves that can only be learned through breeding if anyone didn't know) on the same pokemon.

A good example:
Azumarill with...
-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-(insert Azu move-set move here)
-(insert Azu move-set move here)

EDIT: better example:
Weavile with...
-Ice Punch
-Ice shard
-a different move
-another move

Last edited by Quadcentruo; March 1, 2010 at 11:12:07 AM.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:23:46 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
:O Oh man I totally missed that while team building... Thank god you called that, because- oh wait, better not reveal anything about my team...
Old March 1, 2010, 04:53:59 PM

So what is it exactly that you want? Do you want that particular set to be banned, or is it that you want the egg moves thing to be banned, or both?
Old March 1, 2010, 04:58:25 PM
Regigigas

Does it only count for egg moves? I'm planning on using a pokemon with some special moves, but that's because it's from the gamecube games.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:07:02 PM
Kyurem

I think that the set should be banned, because banning egg moves really upsets the balance of things in certain situations. Plus some of my team members use egg moves.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:40:46 PM

Thanks for bringing that up. I'm not really competitive savvy, believe it or not, and I don't even realize some of these move combinations. I will amend the rules for that particular moveset. Please tell me if there are any more. I do not think that the egg moves rule should be implemented. One of the most fun parts about this is seeing what different moves you can get by breeding.
Old March 2, 2010, 02:51:57 AM
Cyndaquil

Oh yes, I really like this and I'll take part for sure once signups open.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with Pokemon tourney, so could someone probably explain to me how we battle each other? I used to have NetBattle and sth. else that I don't remember the name of... Is it a programme of the kind?

Also, if we limit the tourney to 2nd generation pokemon, does that limit the touney to 1st and 2nd generation attacks as well?
Old March 2, 2010, 04:33:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsojestMort View Post
Anyway, I'm not familiar with Pokemon tourney, so could someone probably explain to me how we battle each other?
Wi-Fi and Friend Codes. If you don't have wireless access for your DS then you can't battle.

Last edited by Yoshi648; March 2, 2010 at 04:33:46 AM.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:17:02 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Also, if we limit the tourney to 2nd generation pokemon, does that limit the touney to 1st and 2nd generation attacks as well?
I'm guessing you can use attacks from all regions, since making it confined to the first and second generations only would really limit the contestants.
Old March 2, 2010, 02:25:33 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not familiar with Pokemon tourney, so could someone probably explain to me how we battle each other? I used to have NetBattle and sth. else that I don't remember the name of... Is it a programme of the kind?

Yeah, the battles would be over DS Wi-fi like Yoshi said, and it would definitely not be limited to first and second gen moves. That would make it a little too difficult.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:28:38 PM
Giratina

Quote:

Yeah, the battles would be over DS Wi-fi like Yoshi said, and it would definitely not be limited to first and second gen moves. That would make it a little too difficult.
Especially difficult because there wasn't a lot of new moves added in the second generation.

The only two i can think of are mud slap and waterfall
Old March 7, 2010, 01:14:17 PM
Kyurem

The Little Cup Tourney has ended, and now I must prepare for this tourney. Thank god I have my entire team plannes out, and I got all but 1 member of it. Now to EV train :/
Old March 7, 2010, 05:25:00 PM
Keldeo

Hey dittos. o3o Should celebi be up on that restricted list too? =w=
Old March 7, 2010, 05:36:07 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Hey dittos. o3o Should celebi be up on that restricted list too? =w=
OH man, I think he really should! Celebi is a tough force in the current OU metagame, and when things are restricted to Gen. 2 that thing is a bulky beast!
Old March 8, 2010, 12:31:04 PM

Celebi has actually been on the list since the start. I didn't realize that it wasn't an über before I made it. I guess it'll stay on there. It also shows me how much people fully read the rules...
Old March 8, 2010, 01:20:40 PM
Kyurem

Oh geez now I feel really stupid. :/

I was only looking at the restricted list, i.e. the legendary dogs and Tyranitar.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:45:46 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Celebi has actually been on the list since the start. I didn't realize that it wasn't an über before I made it. I guess it'll stay on there. It also shows me how much people fully read the rules...
Oook i'll admit I didn't see celebi listed under ubers, but only because it wasn't official an uber. however, I still think whether or not it belongs to be banished to the uber tier is still up in the air. I for one think it should be along with the legendary dogs and tyranitor. =w=
Old March 9, 2010, 01:31:47 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Oook i'll admit I didn't see celebi listed under ubers, but only because it wasn't official an uber. however, I still think whether or not it belongs to be banished to the uber tier is still up in the air. I for one think it should be along with the legendary dogs and tyranitor. =w=
No way! It actually makes sense for Celebi to be Uber, since no other Gen. 2 Pokemon can wall both types like Celebi does. Sure Blissey and Skarmory have their respective defensive stats, but a well-placed Superpower or Fire Blast could put them in their places.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:27:53 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
No way! It actually makes sense for Celebi to be Uber, since no other Gen. 2 Pokemon can wall both types like Celebi does. Sure Blissey and Skarmory have their respective defensive stats, but a well-placed Superpower or Fire Blast could put them in their places.
Oooh this is true~! Celebi is very balanced in his stats. In fact its similar to jirachi who has 100 stats in each. And a wall that knows both recover and leech seed is nothing to scoff at. hoooowever, the problem with it is its typing that makes it faulty as a wall. Grass/pychic. Its bitter sweet to say the least. 6 resistances and 7 super effectives. He'll have an easy time switching in, but chances are most offensive pokes will have something to hit him hard with. Even the pokemon he switched into that he resisted will most likely be packing a move thats super effective. He can be 1HKO-2HKO by most competitive play super effective moves if hes not designed to fully wall the type (physical or special). and 2HKO if he was designed to wall. Lickilickys defesnive stats are similar, and if he is not fully devoted to walling special or phyisical he can be 1HKOd by strong moves.

Uuuh. I got side tracked. .-. Anywho what I mean is, he can't fully wall both types. Hes gotta choose. Hes just like any other wall. The diffrence is his element of surprise.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:34:37 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Oooh this is true~! Celebi is very balanced in his stats. In fact its similar to jirachi who has 100 stats in each. And a wall that knows both recover and leech seed is nothing to scoff at. hoooowever, the problem with it is its typing that makes it faulty as a wall. Grass/pychic. Its bitter sweet to say the least. 6 resistances and 7 super effectives. He'll have an easy time switching in, but chances are most offensive pokes will have something to hit him hard with. Even the pokemon he switched into that he resisted will most likely be packing a move thats super effective. He can be 1HKO-2HKO by most competitive play super effective moves if hes not designed to fully wall the type (physical or special). and 2HKO if he was designed to wall. Lickilickys defesnive stats are similar, and if he is not fully devoted to walling special or phyisical he can be 1HKOd by strong moves.

Uuuh. I got side tracked. .-. Anywho what I mean is, he can't fully wall both types. Hes gotta choose. Hes just like any other wall. The diffrence is his element of surprise.
And these very reasons have propelled him into the current OU metagame. Imagine how much more vicious he'll be when it's just Gen. 2. However, when it's just Gen. 2, I'm sure that there will be plenty of Heracross, Forretress, and SCIZOR. I doubt that Celebi can take too many Megahorns, Bug Bites, or U-Turns. Then again, if these pests are removed, Celebi can stall stall stall recovering along the way, even if it DOES get hit by a super-effective hit or two. Then again...waitno I'll just stop now, I always end up countering everything I say.

In conclusion Celebi should stay banned.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; March 9, 2010 at 03:35:17 PM.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:44:33 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
And these very reasons have propelled him into the current OU metagame. Imagine how much more vicious he'll be when it's just Gen. 2. However, when it's just Gen. 2, I'm sure that there will be plenty of Heracross, Forretress, and SCIZOR. I doubt that Celebi can take too many Megahorns, Bug Bites, or U-Turns. Then again, if these pests are removed, Celebi can stall stall stall recovering along the way, even if it DOES get hit by a super-effective hit or two. Then again...waitno I'll just stop now, I always end up countering everything I say.

In conclusion Celebi should stay banned.
I wish could debate like you kazam. xD Your short simple and too the point. =p I still stand by my feelings though~! =w=

Also will there be the Skarmbliss clause? Its a clause that says both skarmory and blissey are not allowed on the same team. =w=
Old March 9, 2010, 03:48:11 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I wish could debate like you kazam. xD Your short simple and too the point. =p I still stand by my feelings though~! =w=

Also will there be the Skarmbliss clause? Its a clause that says both skarmory and blissey are not allowed on the same team. =w=
I am so flattered!!

Skarmbliss clause makes sense, after all the two are a dynamic duo that can work together brilliantly to wall most anything. ...Most anything that is not a mixed sweeper. Tyranitar can Fire Blast Skarmory into oblivion and then handle Blissey with ease.

It's a sticky subject, so I say that it should be put to a vote.
Old March 10, 2010, 11:40:13 AM

Well, it looks like for now that Celebi will stay in the Banned list unless something else come up.
On another matter, I like the arguing! It's fun to watch. Keep it up. I'll put a poll up for the Skarmbliss clause right now, and I'll keep it until... Sunday? Does that sound fair enough?

Last edited by Ditto616; March 10, 2010 at 11:41:25 AM.
Old March 10, 2010, 04:32:10 PM
Shaymin

Sunday sounds good.

Oh, and another rule we should establish: Since we're only going to be using second gen style rules, I decree that we only conduct this tourney through Link Cable.
Old March 10, 2010, 06:05:49 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Sunday sounds good.

Oh, and another rule we should establish: Since we're only going to be using second gen style rules, I decree that we only conduct this tourney through Link Cable.
Agreed. We just have to figure out where everyone lives, and how much airfare costs these days.
Old March 10, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
On another matter, I like the arguing! It's fun to watch. Keep it up.?
Debating, discussing, those are the words you use to describe these things, not arguing. Its done in a friendly matter. All suggestions need to be acknowledged.......was trying to help by suggestions something.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:42:20 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Sunday sounds good.
As long as you mean Sunday the 21st.......I doubt i'll have a team pulled together in a few hours on the 14th! 3:
Old March 11, 2010, 10:59:10 AM

@Sunny: I use those words interchangeably. They all mean the same thing to me.

@Jad: I mean the poll will be up until this Sunday. The tournament in question will be held on Sunday, March 28th.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:09:40 PM
Giratina

Well, even though im not going to compete,
I don't see why there should be a skarmbliss clause.

All it takes is a heracross to use close-combat to own either one of the two and ruin the double wall plan
Old March 11, 2010, 05:18:07 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Well, even though im not going to compete,
I don't see why there should be a skarmbliss clause.

All it takes is a heracross to use close-combat to own either one of the two and ruin the double wall plan
Skarmory would kill Heracross and you better have a scope lens on that Heracross with to get a Close Combat kill on a Pokémon that defensive though. =\
Old March 11, 2010, 05:24:21 PM
Kyurem

Indeed, Skarmory can take a hit from Heracross without a problem, and then Brave Bird or Drill Peck for the OHKO.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:25:28 PM
Keldeo

Yes, between the two of them, they can completely nullify most attacks. Both have healing moves as well. I think the only thing that even has a chance at breaking the combo is somekinda mixed sweeper. Otherwise both can outstall the opponent for as long as they want. (Between soft boil and roost that is)

Also apologies to ditto for that comment as I was...*ahem* sensitive that day. >3> not a good day.

Last edited by Sunny; March 11, 2010 at 07:26:50 PM.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:24:11 AM
Volcarona

I have my whole team ready for this.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:52:30 AM
Shaymin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Mine'll be ready by the 21st
Old March 13, 2010, 11:28:34 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Mine'll be ready by the 21st
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I have no idea when mine will be ready, since I have to get one more Pokemon (requires a lot of chain-breediing for certain moves) and I have to EV train them all. Blah... Plus HG will be a major distraction.
Old March 15, 2010, 05:56:17 PM
Regigigas

Have we picked a date? I'd like to wait until april, as the next two weekends do not work for me.
Old March 15, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Have we picked a date? I'd like to wait until april, as the next two weekends do not work for me.
Our tournaments are held on the last Saturday (or Sunday) of the month, unless something comes up. In this case it would be the 27th.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:16:34 PM

Actually, it's going to be on the 28th. I have (major) complications on the 27th. I've already cleared it with Cat.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:23:10 PM
Kyurem

Thank goodness. I need all the time I can get! Preparing this team is difficult, since Im using a Pokemon that requires a TON of chain-breeding to get the right moveset.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:48:20 PM
Regigigas

I don;t think I can make it on that day. *ugh*
Old March 17, 2010, 05:09:57 PM

I just realized that it is definitely past Sunday. SkarmBliss clause is put into effect.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:12:06 PM
Kyurem

Erg I need to prepare my team for this tourney... but I can't pry myself away from HeartGold. This could be a problem. :/

And I'm glad SkarmBliss Clause is in affect, that could get abused really easily.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:49:05 PM
Keldeo

I no. I can't stop playing it.
Which is bad because I still have my normal team to make too. xD
Old March 18, 2010, 10:41:55 AM
Kyurem

Ugh, don't remind me. I still have to do my Gym Team as well.