Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 29, 2010, 11:43:34 AM
Rayquaza

Default Old People's Homes? To what extent should we use them?

There is no doubt that old people's homes are quite useful for those who are left alone with no help or assistance. However, many old people have got a family, yet for some reason, their sons abandon them and keep them in these homes. Of course, this keeps the old people in a very bad situation psychologically. I know that old are considered as outcasts in many societies, but is it right to keep the old in a home which looks more like jail? Also, what is the best way of dealing with the old, especially with the feeling they got that they are outsiders?

Let the debate START!

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; June 30, 2010 at 07:38:00 AM.
Old June 30, 2010, 02:45:54 AM
Giratina

I need a clarification here: do you mean 'Old People's Home'?
I never heard of 'Old Age Hospitals', to be honest.

Last edited by Shadow; June 30, 2010 at 02:46:57 AM.
Old June 30, 2010, 07:36:38 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I need a clarification here: do you mean 'Old People's Home'?
I never heard of 'Old Age Hospitals', to be honest.
Yeah. Some people call it Old Age Hospital and many of them call it Old People's Home. I think I will change the title to make things clear.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:52:27 AM
Charizard

That's sort of a difficult subject presently. In the past, people generally respected elder's for their wisdom. Now we tend to shove them off and forget about them. It's actually pretty sad, but that's how people tend to act nowadays.

Nursing homes are certainly a good idea in some regards. It gives the elderly an opportunity to have interactions with people and have others do difficult tasks for them. However, I've been to such place several times; I used to participate in a church service to them. Most of them seem happy, but they may not always be the case.

It's a decent alternative, but I believe that we should try to advocate families keeping their elderly if possible. It would make the old folks happier, and I believe it serves as payback for them taking care of you for years.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:26:43 PM
Charizard

I think we shouldn't be allowed to use them.

Last edited by Shadow; August 23, 2010 at 03:21:30 AM.
Old August 22, 2010, 11:12:02 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam (Chomp) View Post
I think we shouldn't be allowed to use them
When my parents, or Lady forbid, my In-Laws fall into the age where one is unable to wipe for one's self, or begins to wander downtown undressed, I'm not taking care of them.

I love my mother and father, but I would sooner convert my OS to Windows before caring for parents that do not remember me. I would rather throw them in a home that would take mediocre care of them and let them deal with it.

Hell, if I get old enough, or my mind strays to the point of, not being able to remember my wife's/kid's name, I want to be put down. :l Just kill me.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:57:56 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
When my parents, or Lady forbid, my In-Laws fall into the age where one is unable to wipe for one's self, or begins to wander downtown undressed, I'm not taking care of them.

I love my mother and father, but I would sooner convert my OS to Windows before caring for parents that do not remember me. I would rather throw them in a home that would take mediocre care of them and let them deal with it.

Hell, if I get old enough, or my mind strays to the point of, not being able to remember my wife's/kid's name, I want to be put down. :l Just kill me.
I know some people who keep serving their parents even after they lose their memory. To me, it depends on the situation. Sometimes, it is better for the parents to be in these homes rather than with their children, especially if they need a very high medical care. But, in the societies I live in, there is an increase in the usage of these homes, not because the parents need these homes, but just the children don't want them anymore. They are more concerned with their wife and kids that they throw their sane parents away.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:42:07 AM
Giratina

Depends on the person. If they're the kind that are old, yet their mind's are still there, then they really don't need to be in a home as they can take care of themself.

Now, if they're going senile or develop alzheimers, then its would be necessary to put them in a safe environment where they're monitored almost 24/7.
Old August 23, 2010, 11:01:25 AM
Kyurem

While some people argue that it would take a toll on many people to be forgotten and simply put in a home to be taken care of, this is often the best thing FOR the elderly in some cases. In the United States, for example, one needs a car to go pretty much anywhere, and if an elderly man or woman suffered from a disease that prevents them from safely operating an automobile, then they could be a risk to both themselves and society. Staying at at an old folk's home makes much more sense if a man or woman needs special medical attention, but otherwise it does not seem very useful.