Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 2, 2009, 11:49:21 PM
Zoroark

Default (Don't flame on me please) Pokemon Rumble: an insult to fans

Hello. Name's Jack. Some of you may know me already from the recent tournament.

I am posting my feelings about a certain game (not a review) based on my brother's playthrough and all that I've seen other Pokemon players say and do with this game. Agree or disagree if you like.

Dear Pokemon fans,

Nintendo and Game Freak have been the real host of Nintendo for so many years for many of us veteran players. We played through each game and continued to show our loyalty and fascination to the series by buying the following generations that came out, adapting to the new aspects of the gaming universe that we know to be "Pokemon battles." We are dismissed as too young to play the game by our peers or obsessed with the the intricate battling system once those people find out the game's secret complex nature of "true training." Yet we say "We're young at heart" and "it's a great challenge" and "I've been with this for so long and the game never seems to get old."

Yes, in general, we feel that Pokemon has a special place in our hearts. We were there when hold items came into Silver, when EV's and IV's and natures came with Ruby, when attacks took on physical and special damage move pools in Pearl. Yes, we adapted and learned the constantly and pleasantly rewarding systems of Pokemon no matter how complex it got.

Because we are the fans.

On the other side of the spectrum are what we call "spin-offs" of the Pokemon franchise. Now given, some of these games too hold a special place for us and were fun for their own reasons. Pokemon Snap was the first Pokemon game in 3-D, thus increasing our fascination of bringing our creatures to the big screen with two Stadium games to follow. If you consider the Orre region games to be spin-offs but still a stable part of the same Pokemon system, this was a success as well. We can even concede to the Mystery Dungeon and Pinball series for their novelties.

Yes, there are more spin-offs that are successful at holding our attention and reminding us of the simple but good fun Pokemon can bring to all of us, young and old.

But, with every good spin-off, we can name off plenty bad. It mostly started with Hey You! Pikachu, a strong and innovative idea on box, but poorly implemented. Add the insane costs for the game and we end up wasting good money on a poorly executed game. Pokemon Channel was waste of money for many as well. Not enough content for what the boxart and description would suggest. Just a strange spin-off of the tv show and movie series.

And (as the 2nd most recent spin-off for the Wii) Pokemon Ranch. My, how I loath thee. Sure, in theory, it's a storage device, but no other game coding can be used for it outside of the first one you use (dashing my hopes of transferring Pokemon and starting a new game for the sake of the adventure) and the visuals were mostly insulting to us Pokemon fans. We've grown for so long appreciating the artwork of the handhelds and the models of the console Pokemon that this monstrosity makes us all sick to our stomaches. We realized that this was merely one Pokemon game with this art style and we overlooked it, saving our money for Pokemon Platinum instead. We figured we could just forget about that game and the strange and disconcerting models Umbrella brought with it. We forgive you Nintendo.

No, I take that back. We can't forgive you now.

Now we have Pokemon Rumble. Now, I realize some of you that have tolerated reading this so far will start to see where I'm going with this (though if you're considerate enough to read what I write, those of you like me get my point) and disagree with me. But Pokemon Rumble is, quite simply, a bad game for Pokemon and an insult from Nintendo. Those of us that believe in the "Nintendo Fanboyism" already know how much we get attacked for the lack of good games on the Wii. We stay loyal, but Nintendo shows this garbage to Pokemon fans now and we can't help but wonder where the company (and subsequent companies) are going now with Pokemon.

First of all, we are met with the same horrible visuals we encountered in Pokemon Ranch. Sure, there's the Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon to fight and collect, but do you want them? Maybe the environments are different, but come on Nintendo! We expect more from this! The locales are changed mostly by color and subtle music. Give us the old Pokemon atmosphere.

Secondly, the combat. I have played games that have this kind of button-mashing mentality (I play Kingdom Hearts lol). This is just ridiculous though. The combat doesn't feel rewarding and you get only two moves now instead of four. Yes, it's simple and only requires the Wii remote, but it doesn't seem to really matter what Pokemon attacks you use. I think weaknesses are incorporated sometimes, but not from my playthrough. I just keep using Ivysaur's Vine Whip and Muk is gone.

And Thirdly, the price. Cat333Pokemon mentioned the price increase for non-Japanese countries. $15 dollars doesn't seem like much, but it's certainly a profit for Nintendo with this garbage. They figured they'd slap Pokemon on the front and add in some pretty bland combat and promote the hell out of it. Thank gosh they had the conscience to put out a demo for the game. Some of us were able to save our money now for the true Pokemon games that do take into account all the things we've grown to love in the series: straight-up battles.

Is it all money now? Will Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver be the last true Pokemon games? We know there has to be a 5th generation because Nintendo needs the money and we don't want to lose our favorite series, but something's gotta give the way things are looking now. Games like PBR and Rumble only serve to tease us true fans into thinking Nintendo cares.

No, only Gamefreak cares now, and if we lose them to the dark side, I think it's over.

So this is my view: spin-offs are losing heart, Nintendo wants more money for less quality, and we as true Pokemon fans will suffer for this trend.

Post your feelings if you actually read my post (rant lol). I understand I will be contradicted but I had to get this off my chest...
Old December 3, 2009, 04:27:04 AM
Giratina

Default Re: (Don't flame on me please) Pokemon Rumble: an insult to fans

I 90% agree with what you wrote, and feel the same way exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack91
And Pokemon Ranch. My, how I loath thee. Sure, in theory, it's a storage device, but no other game coding can be used for it outside of the first one you use (dashing my hopes of transferring Pokemon and starting a new game for the sake of the adventure) and the visuals were mostly insulting to us Pokemon fans.
Quote:
Now we have Pokemon Rumble. Pokemon Rumble is, quite simply, a bad game for Pokemon and an insult from Nintendo
Simply said, Ranch is probably one of the biggest disgraces to the Pokemon series, alongside Pokemon Rumble.

Quote:
I think weaknesses are incorporated sometimes, but not from my playthrough. I just keep using Ivysaur's Vine Whip and Muk is gone.
This is true (after I tried it in the demo).

Quote:
We've grown for so long appreciating the artwork of the handhelds and the models of the console Pokemon
Although this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean that all games must have the same artwork. Yes, I know you didn't say that, but just clearing this point out.

Quote:
Those of us that believe in the "Nintendo Fanboyism" already know how much we get attacked for the lack of good games on the Wii.
Again, very true. Till now, we haven't got a 100% proper game on the Wii. (PBR, in my opinion, was the best. However, it itself wasn't that good either)

Quote:
Is it all money now? Will Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver be the last true Pokemon games?
Note that hand-held Pokemon games have no major problems so far. It's just the console games.
Old December 3, 2009, 06:58:09 AM
Charizard

this is why I don't have a Wii yet...I can't believe in this day and age of superior 3-D video game graphics, the Pokemon on Wii look like squares, circles, and triangles...they were so much more realistic on the GameCube and N64...
Old December 3, 2009, 07:44:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
and the visuals were mostly insulting to us Pokemon fans....and disconcerting models Umbrella brought with it.
First of all, we are met with the same horrible visuals we encountered in Pokemon Ranch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfInnocence
this is why I don't have a Wii yet...I can't believe in this day and age of superior 3-D video game graphics, the Pokemon on Wii look like squares, circles, and triangles...they were so much more realistic on the GameCube and N64...
Remember, WiiWare games are limited to their file size for games. Full retail games can use up the entire DVD they will be printed on, but WiiWare games are limited on their space (a mere 40MB) so the graphics would obviously have to be toned down (besides, I like the chibi-ness of them).
Old December 3, 2009, 09:16:56 AM
Keldeo

My only gripe is the crappy graphics, but if there gonna make a true pokemon fighting game with good graphics it would be a reaaallly long project to animate all 493 well.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:02:27 AM
Giratina

I like Rumble, it's a good game! I've had fun with it!
Now... The visuals...
Smaller Pokémon look cute in this game. However, bigger Pokémon look horrible (WTF is up with Machamp?!), though the black lines around them in rumble made it slightly more bearable.
Old December 3, 2009, 03:09:10 PM
Shaymin

Here's my view on Rumble.

I don't mind the price. I don't mind the graphics. I don't mind the gameplay. I don't care about crappy spinoffs.

The only thing I really, really, really, reeeeaaaallllyyyy can't stand about this game? The lack of second and third generation Pokemon.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, to prevent a graphics ***** arguement that I KNOW is going to break out because some random noob will walk in here, ignore all the actual backed-up opinions, and spew drivel all over this thread.

The graphics used in this game are used in accordance to the cuteness and size of Miis. In Ranch, your Mii and Hayley would be seen alongside other Pokemon, right? It would seem kinda out of place if you're walking next to a millions-feet-tall Dialga and your Mii is only like, 5 feet tall. Thus, chibi-art. Also, Yoshi brought up the file-size of WiiWare games. This is also a contributing factor.

Now, in Rumble, it is mentioned that the reason these Pokemon are so diminutive is because they're simple windup toys. Show me one toy that is lifelike in every detail (not almost lifelike, or almost like the real thing, but IS lifelike) and then I'll take back this arguement. But, seriously. What kind of small windup toy doesn't look like these graphics??

Moving on to Rumble's gameplay. An all-out melee fighter? In my opinion, that's one of the greatest things to ever happen to Pokemon. It's a tad slowpaced, but otherwise, the devs pulled this off well in the Pokemon enviroment given to them.

Now the price. Every good WiiWare game that comes to mind is 1000 or more. Final Fantasy's My Life as a King is 1500 points plus DLC. Mega Man 9 is 1000 points, again, plus DLC. World of Goo is 1500. Lost Winds was 1000 points. The combined price of all episodes of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is 5000 points. The price simply tells you how much value you're going to be getting out of the game. The hiking of the price from 1000 to 1500 is kind of lame, but come on, you're going to be buying a $20 Nintendo Points Card anyways.
Old December 3, 2009, 04:00:59 PM
Charizard

This game looks like utter trash, from what I've seen.

Quote:
Nintendo wants more money for less quality
Old December 3, 2009, 05:13:35 PM
Volcarona

While I agree on the graphics of rumble and ranch being disgraceful, I like the idea behind rumble, even if it is poorly executed, and ranch needed some actual development. I think that rumble should have been bigger, more areas, ALL pokemon, etc. too, but I will give it some credit for being fun to play if you don't mind an eyesore.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:34:13 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Now I don't think Nintendo got everything wrong with graphics for the Pokemon games. They got PBR just about on the dot for what I expect visually. It's the lack of content that went with it for $50 compared to the old stadium games and the GCN games.

I feel like we're being divided in terms of what these games have. Too many of these games are broken up to where you can get the features that you got from the Stadium games but for a cumlatively larger price.

I feel Pokemon Rumble is a suitable and large minigame that should have went with PBR. I don't think that would have been hard to do and if there was any notion from Nintendo for downloadable content for the game I wouldn't be complaining.

Quote:
Remember, WiiWare games are limited to their file size for games. Full retail games can use up the entire DVD they will be printed on, but WiiWare games are limited on their space (a mere 40MB) so the graphics would obviously have to be toned down (besides, I like the chibi-ness of them).
I understand Yoshi, but why make them in the first place if they don't have better value to them, or appeal to the fans. I seriously would not have gripes with Pokemon Ranch if its features weren't so bad as well. I can live with it being "chibi" as we call it, but what's wrong with giving us better flexibility with the game (e.g. allowing access to the Pokemon after you get the national Pokedex in another game).

I think Nintendo has bad researchers when it comes to WiiWare, Pokemon, and what the fans want.

Quote:
My only gripe is the crappy graphics, but if there gonna make a true pokemon fighting game with good graphics it would be a reaaallly long project to animate all 493 well.
The price would have to increase then. I can understand why they chose to only use the Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon (the price would be more reasonable if they included everyone but I understand the limits the game has). The graphics are a let-down too.

Now, if this was an experiment for Nintendo on what we would like in the future and they wanted to see how this game did, I applaud Nintendo and look forward to better Pokemon fighting-styles games in the future.

It will just have to show it has superior quality to this game in the future.

Quote:
Here's my view on Rumble.

I don't mind the price. I don't mind the graphics. I don't mind the gameplay. I don't care about crappy spinoffs.

The only thing I really, really, really, reeeeaaaallllyyyy can't stand about this game? The lack of second and third generation Pokemon.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, to prevent a graphics ***** arguement that I KNOW is going to break out because some random noob will walk in here, ignore all the actual backed-up opinions, and spew drivel all over this thread.

The graphics used in this game are used in accordance to the cuteness and size of Miis. In Ranch, your Mii and Hayley would be seen alongside other Pokemon, right? It would seem kinda out of place if you're walking next to a millions-feet-tall Dialga and your Mii is only like, 5 feet tall. Thus, chibi-art. Also, Yoshi brought up the file-size of WiiWare games. This is also a contributing factor.

Now, in Rumble, it is mentioned that the reason these Pokemon are so diminutive is because they're simple windup toys. Show me one toy that is lifelike in every detail (not almost lifelike, or almost like the real thing, but IS lifelike) and then I'll take back this arguement. But, seriously. What kind of small windup toy doesn't look like these graphics??

Moving on to Rumble's gameplay. An all-out melee fighter? In my opinion, that's one of the greatest things to ever happen to Pokemon. It's a tad slowpaced, but otherwise, the devs pulled this off well in the Pokemon enviroment given to them.

Now the price. Every good WiiWare game that comes to mind is 1000 or more. Final Fantasy's My Life as a King is 1500 points plus DLC. Mega Man 9 is 1000 points, again, plus DLC. World of Goo is 1500. Lost Winds was 1000 points. The combined price of all episodes of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is 5000 points. The price simply tells you how much value you're going to be getting out of the game. The hiking of the price from 1000 to 1500 is kind of lame, but come on, you're going to be buying a $20 Nintendo Points Card anyways.
I get your point Mt. Yes, the style of the game graphics-wise is that they are simple toys that fight. I have nothing wrong with the premise. It's the execution I have a problem with.

Now, I do in fact have a problem with Pokemon Ranch and was greatly disappointed by all the features it was lacking that I was really looking forward to. So yes, I'm biased there.

And a five foot Dialga would be inappropriate against your Mii for the game itself.

That doesn't mean they had to make this WiiWare game like it in the first place. That's what I'm saying.

Again, if Nintendo is just trying something they want to build on and improve upon, I look forward to being contradicted, but I doubt it really.

This game just seems like a step down from the Mystery Dungeon series, and that series will be on the WiiWare line-up soon as well. How come those games look so complete and this just seems so small and incomplete?

And again, the pricing is still unfair. I have all of the games you mentioned (excluding MM9 and a few of the Strong Bad's) and those games seemed worth it (and I'm a Pokemon fan!). My gripe is that this game just seems repetitive and (not unoriginal) poorly executed. More time needed to be spent on it to make it more worthwhile for us (in other words, there needs to be a better balance between graphics and gameplay).

Oh, and Chibi-Robo is one example of a toy that was done in a none-chibi style when you think about it.

But I don't disagree with you Mt. You have your view on how the game plays. I just can't play this for more than an hour before I realize how bad it is to me.

I think Swordfyre was trying to put down Nintendo by showing the Wii.

I disagree though that all of Nintendo's games on the Wii are bad. When they make a great game, it tends to be memorable and special. We all play Brawl on here I'm sure and have enjoyed or been awed by the shear beauty of Galaxies. Even some of the third party games (especially RB2 and other music games; I'm a big fan of that genre too lol) are equal to or better than other systems on the Wii.

I just think Nintendo is choosing bad companies to work with for Pokemon. Stick to Game Freak or someone who presents their ideas in a better way so that the end product is not abysmal.

Quote:
While I agree on the graphics of rumble and ranch being disgraceful, I like the idea behind rumble, even if it is poorly executed, and ranch needed some actual development. I think that rumble should have been bigger, more areas, ALL pokemon, etc. too, but I will give it some credit for being fun to play if you don't mind an eyesore.

As I've said before, I like the idea of Rumble. It's poorly executed though.

I look forward to the day when I can start an adventure game as Blaziken and create a fighter that can use Sky Uppercut to send a foe into the air and then use a series of fire punches combo-style to take out an opponent. Then, another Pokemon is nearby, so I'll jump and use a Blaze Kick to knock him out as well.

But this will not happen if Nintendo cannot provide a quality game that is perhaps in the $50 range but actually worth the buy.

That wouldn't be so hard right? Just expand on Rumble's idea (perhaps w/o the toy idea) and improve the visuals and combat. I promise it would be a success. But Nintendo doesn't seem to understand that...
Old December 4, 2009, 11:23:22 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Yes, the style of the game graphics-wise is that they are simple toys that fight. I have nothing wrong with the premise. It's the execution I have a problem with.
That is exactly my view as well. The idea is very entertaining, but it is poorly executed.
Mind you, I am not against the 'chibiness" of the Pokemon. I am only against how the graphics are, again, poorly made.

Quote:
I think Swordfyre was trying to put down Nintendo by showing the Wii.
The Wii isn't a disgrace to Nintendo at all. Although it lacks certain features (ability to play movies and music, messenger, etc.) as compared to other consoles, that doesn't mean it is of less quality. Games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii Sports (Resort), Wii Fit (Plus) and many others are of great and intense potential. Therefore I strongly disagree with you, Swordfyre.

Quote:
I think that rumble should have been bigger, more areas, ALL pokemon, etc. too, but I will give it some credit for being fun to play if you don't mind an eyesore.
This at least would've improved the game a bit.

By the way, I am not against Rumble as Jusjack91 is, as he seems to be very perturbed because of such games. However, I, up to an extent, agree with him. Also, I don't honestly think that Nintendo is going to stop launching good games, just because of some bad titles.

I do believe (and confess) that Rumble still brings a very slight bit of fun to play, but this is overcome by the other worse features, unfortunately.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:24:25 PM
Charizard

The Wii lacks many features the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 has. Motion control is just a gimmick. [s:3upa50nu]It is only a slightly improved Gamecube, in terms of hardware.[/s:3upa50nu] 80% of all Wii games are shovelware, and the only fantastic games for the system I can think of are Nintendo developed games. That's my perspective.

I really don't want to start an argument about this. Anyway, I might buy this game just to see if it's playable for more then 20 minutes.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:42:38 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfyre
The Wii lacks many features the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 has. Motion control is just a gimmick. It is only a slightly improved Gamecube, in terms of hardware. 80% of all Wii games are shovelware, and the only fantastic games for the system I can think of are Nintendo developed games. That's my perspective.

I really don't want to start an argument about this. Anyway, I might buy this game just to see if it's playable for more then 20 minutes.
I'm really tempted to rant about how much of that statement was false, but this isn't the right board/topic for that.

And this game is really fun, even though I only have the demo. I'll probably get some Nintendo Points for Christmas and my birthday though.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:58:00 PM
Regigigas

Now, THOSE games, are for kids. The actual game is what we are after.

It's simple to avoid this- Look at reviews, don't like don't get it. Simple.

I know you're just trying to get your point across but it's still komplaining. But I do agree with you in certain points.

Besides, I would say the games you kan purchase online aren't really good. I don't play'em. I prefer actual games.

Each to their own.

(Btw, I didn't read the WHOLE thing. Just to where you got about Pokemon Rumble.)
Old December 6, 2009, 12:14:46 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdhlite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfyre
The Wii lacks many features the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 has. Motion control is just a gimmick. It is only a slightly improved Gamecube, in terms of hardware. 80% of all Wii games are shovelware, and the only fantastic games for the system I can think of are Nintendo developed games. That's my perspective.

I'm really tempted to rant about how much of that statement was false, but this isn't the right board/topic for that.

And this game is really fun, even though I only have the demo. I'll probably get some Nintendo Points for Christmas and my birthday though.
I agree with the first statement completely. This is not the right board to have an argument on, but I agree that this guy is wrong. I am not bashing the Wii or generalizing about the games. I'm talking about people putting down the Wii when they don't appreciate what great things are already on it.

He's one of them lol.

And hey, if you get the game and enjoy it, it's not for me to say. It's all opinion and I'm glad to have gotten as many realistic responses, but as a college student, I'd rather save up for a game that will last me longer. This just seems like a quick sip of coffee early before my English class. I want a grande cappachino that will get me through the entire class lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero

I know you're just trying to get your point across but it's still komplaining. But I do agree with you in certain points.

Besides, I would say the games you kan purchase online aren't really good. I don't play'em. I prefer actual games.

Each to their own.

(Btw, I didn't read the WHOLE thing. Just to where you got about Pokemon Rumble.)
I mostly just started with a small description of who I think the fans of Pokemon are, starting with the first games. It helps to read the other details before Rumble though. I create comparisons based on quality and show how some of these spin-offs are actually fun and worth the cash.

I myself am looking forward to Pokepark.

But even the reviews can get a game wrong. Yes, the reviews of this game end up agreeing with me, but other games are put down in Pokemon that don't deserve it in my view and in other people's views (for example, the GCN don't have such a good rep with IGN and other reviewers, but us Pokemon fans can appreciate what it is and its interesting features).

Sometimes it helps to understand a game from another point of view, and for those that don't read the reviews of Rumble, I'm stating my views of it based on what I've played and what my brother has shown me on the full version. From what I'm seeing, it's not fulfilling and I agree with the reviews, but people can still buy it if they like it.

People just need to know that when you purchase a game on WiiWare, statistics are taken to show what people like and want more of. If you buy World of Goo and rate it high on the Nintendo Channel, a sequel may come. If you rate Pokemon Rumble high and buy it and more buy that game compared to World of Goo, well...don't expect that World of Goo to receive Nintendo's focus too soon.

Sales is everything, and to show support for the good quality games is crucial for a franchise to keep going or get started.

Thank you all for your views btw.
Old December 6, 2009, 09:27:48 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdhlite

Show me one toy that is lifelike in every detail (not almost lifelike, or almost like the real thing, but IS lifelike) and then I'll take back this arguement. But, seriously. What kind of small windup toy doesn't look like these graphics??

I find it lifelike as can be. It may not move so, but it looks very lifelike in my opinion.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:01:11 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero

Each to their own.

I mostly just started with a small description of who I think the fans of Pokemon are, starting with the first games. It helps to read the other details before Rumble though. I create comparisons based on quality and show how some of these spin-offs are actually fun and worth the cash.

I myself am looking forward to Pokepark.

But even the reviews can get a game wrong. Yes, the reviews of this game end up agreeing with me, but other games are put down in Pokemon that don't deserve it in my view and in other people's views (for example, the GCN don't have such a good rep with IGN and other reviewers, but us Pokemon fans can appreciate what it is and its interesting features).

Sometimes it helps to understand a game from another point of view, and for those that don't read the reviews of Rumble, I'm stating my views of it based on what I've played and what my brother has shown me on the full version. From what I'm seeing, it's not fulfilling and I agree with the reviews, but people can still buy it if they like it.

People just need to know that when you purchase a game on WiiWare, statistics are taken to show what people like and want more of. If you buy World of Goo and rate it high on the Nintendo Channel, a sequel may come. If you rate Pokemon Rumble high and buy it and more buy that game compared to World of Goo, well...don't expect that World of Goo to receive Nintendo's focus too soon.

Sales is everything, and to show support for the good quality games is crucial for a franchise to keep going or get started.

Thank you all for your views btw.
Wait, so you're supporting these games? I'm kinda lost here. But if you want to get into these games for the WiiWare then I'm not the right person to talk to about it. I like Pokemon, but definetely not these little side game like Pinball and such. You're based on quality and I like game mechanics.

Yeah, I know what you mean about reviews. Those reviews make Mortal Kombat look like a total meltdown. Sure MK is a broken game, but Street Fighter is much MUCH more broken and it still gets all the glory.

Well Nintendo is a kompany. They need money. They know by releasing these games kids will want them. It's all about business. But use older people know which games to choose and whatnot. Maybe Pokemon Rumble was just a true kiddy game. Honestly, I wouldn't know.
Old December 18, 2009, 03:29:18 PM
Volcarona

Ign?! Again?! I know what he's talking about. He's getting this stuff from IGN.com again. But, then again justjack91 has also played Hey you Pikachu! He said it was bad and I agree that some spin-offs are just a waste of money. When will Nintendo and Game Freak ever ban Ambrella.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:52:24 PM
Giratina

I've played rumble, it wasn't bad.
One thing I can't stand about it is the fact that they used the same stage over, and over, and over (and so forth). It gets repetitive and boring quickly, BUT ONLY IN ONE SITTING!!

The stages themselves (besides the repetitiveness) were easy and quickly beaten, it makes it seem like Nintendo should've added a "choose your difficulty" feature.

Even the mewtwo battle was pretty easy, but the music was pretty darn epic! But there should've been at least some challenge to that battle.

If there was one thing I could change, I would probably change the enemy AI, or add at least and adaptive difficulty setting so that way the enemies would act just as good as you (after a long-enough time).

While there was many things over-looked, the game still grabs me and i continue to play it. It might be the story, even though it seems different, its actually quite similar to the main-stream series (in a way). You collect pokemon and battle your way to the top of the strongest battlers/pokemon in the league.

It's also filling the void of the fact I'm pretty bored of fire red, diamond and other pokemon games i have at the moment (waiting for Hg Ss, but more towards Ss)

All in all, while it could've been alot better, its still a win in my book and I don't see how it's an insult to fans, its a spin-off, it's not going to be the next best thing since sliced bread (or pokemon main-stream series in this case).

And if your going to judge it, base your judging on the fact its a spin-off instead of it being a pokemon game in general.

And if I had to rate it, I would give it a 3.5 out of 5 (woot for unintentional reviews)
Old January 30, 2010, 01:26:55 PM
Floatzel

The visuals and graphics are...Eh..Horrible to me. I haven't had the time to get the demo, but, now I doubt I am going to get it.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:25:25 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Although it lacks certain features (ability to play movies and music, messenger, etc.)
Actually, homebrew software allows one to play movies and music, but that's off-topic.
I don't understand the complaints about the graphics of Ranch and Rumble; I think they look perfectly fine. The only time graphics are a problem is when they are detrimental to the gameplay, which these aren't, and I personally think they're cute. I, unfortunately, don't have any free space on my Wii's NAND and I can't launch from my SD card due to Bannerbomb, so I can't try Pokémon Rumble, but I have My Pokémon Ranch and it's fine for what it is. It allows me to store my monsters, helps with my Pokédex, and allows me to take screenshots of Hitler playing with a Jigglypuff. It may be somewhat overpriced, but it does what it was meant to do, and would only be disappointing if I had expected a full game, which I didn't. As has been said, if you don't think you'll like it, don't buy it. I don't think Pokémon Rumble is anything close to a disgrace to anyone.
Old January 30, 2010, 06:40:19 PM
Volcarona

Here's my view on both Rumble and Ranch:

Rumble:
Now I don't mind the graphics TOO MUCH this time around unlike Ranch. Now, It's just the gameplay that does seem a bit out of it's range. Ranch is basic unplayable but, we will get into that in just a sec. Rumble is reptitive and is just not rewarding like Justjack 91 said. I think YOU SHOULD GO FOR THE DEMO ONLY.

Ranch:
There is the definition of a word called crap. Which means it's a pile of crap and I would definitly classify Ranch as that. No playabilty and replayability. It's probably terrible in every way. If somebody can think of something good please qoute and comment. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS GAME. DO NOT LOOK AT THIS GAME. DO NOT EVEN HEAR ABOUT THIS GAME. It's a sin it even exist.

Well, that's it! Hope you enjoyed!
Old February 25, 2010, 02:04:19 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack91 View Post
Hello. Name's Jack. Some of you may know me already from the recent tournament.

I am posting my feelings about a certain game (not a review) based on my brother's playthrough and all that I've seen other Pokemon players say and do with this game. Agree or disagree if you like.

Dear Pokemon fans,

Nintendo and Game Freak have been the real host of Nintendo for so many years for many of us veteran players. We played through each game and continued to show our loyalty and fascination to the series by buying the following generations that came out, adapting to the new aspects of the gaming universe that we know to be "Pokemon battles." We are dismissed as too young to play the game by our peers or obsessed with the the intricate battling system once those people find out the game's secret complex nature of "true training." Yet we say "We're young at heart" and "it's a great challenge" and "I've been with this for so long and the game never seems to get old."

Yes, in general, we feel that Pokemon has a special place in our hearts. We were there when hold items came into Silver, when EV's and IV's and natures came with Ruby, when attacks took on physical and special damage move pools in Pearl. Yes, we adapted and learned the constantly and pleasantly rewarding systems of Pokemon no matter how complex it got.

Because we are the fans.

On the other side of the spectrum are what we call "spin-offs" of the Pokemon franchise. Now given, some of these games too hold a special place for us and were fun for their own reasons. Pokemon Snap was the first Pokemon game in 3-D, thus increasing our fascination of bringing our creatures to the big screen with two Stadium games to follow. If you consider the Orre region games to be spin-offs but still a stable part of the same Pokemon system, this was a success as well. We can even concede to the Mystery Dungeon and Pinball series for their novelties.

Yes, there are more spin-offs that are successful at holding our attention and reminding us of the simple but good fun Pokemon can bring to all of us, young and old.

But, with every good spin-off, we can name off plenty bad. It mostly started with Hey You! Pikachu, a strong and innovative idea on box, but poorly implemented. Add the insane costs for the game and we end up wasting good money on a poorly executed game. Pokemon Channel was waste of money for many as well. Not enough content for what the boxart and description would suggest. Just a strange spin-off of the tv show and movie series.

And (as the 2nd most recent spin-off for the Wii) Pokemon Ranch. My, how I loath thee. Sure, in theory, it's a storage device, but no other game coding can be used for it outside of the first one you use (dashing my hopes of transferring Pokemon and starting a new game for the sake of the adventure) and the visuals were mostly insulting to us Pokemon fans. We've grown for so long appreciating the artwork of the handhelds and the models of the console Pokemon that this monstrosity makes us all sick to our stomaches. We realized that this was merely one Pokemon game with this art style and we overlooked it, saving our money for Pokemon Platinum instead. We figured we could just forget about that game and the strange and disconcerting models Umbrella brought with it. We forgive you Nintendo.

No, I take that back. We can't forgive you now.

Now we have Pokemon Rumble. Now, I realize some of you that have tolerated reading this so far will start to see where I'm going with this (though if you're considerate enough to read what I write, those of you like me get my point) and disagree with me. But Pokemon Rumble is, quite simply, a bad game for Pokemon and an insult from Nintendo. Those of us that believe in the "Nintendo Fanboyism" already know how much we get attacked for the lack of good games on the Wii. We stay loyal, but Nintendo shows this garbage to Pokemon fans now and we can't help but wonder where the company (and subsequent companies) are going now with Pokemon.

First of all, we are met with the same horrible visuals we encountered in Pokemon Ranch. Sure, there's the Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon to fight and collect, but do you want them? Maybe the environments are different, but come on Nintendo! We expect more from this! The locales are changed mostly by color and subtle music. Give us the old Pokemon atmosphere.

Secondly, the combat. I have played games that have this kind of button-mashing mentality (I play Kingdom Hearts lol). This is just ridiculous though. The combat doesn't feel rewarding and you get only two moves now instead of four. Yes, it's simple and only requires the Wii remote, but it doesn't seem to really matter what Pokemon attacks you use. I think weaknesses are incorporated sometimes, but not from my playthrough. I just keep using Ivysaur's Vine Whip and Muk is gone.

And Thirdly, the price. Cat333Pokemon mentioned the price increase for non-Japanese countries. $15 dollars doesn't seem like much, but it's certainly a profit for Nintendo with this garbage. They figured they'd slap Pokemon on the front and add in some pretty bland combat and promote the hell out of it. Thank gosh they had the conscience to put out a demo for the game. Some of us were able to save our money now for the true Pokemon games that do take into account all the things we've grown to love in the series: straight-up battles.

Is it all money now? Will Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver be the last true Pokemon games? We know there has to be a 5th generation because Nintendo needs the money and we don't want to lose our favorite series, but something's gotta give the way things are looking now. Games like PBR and Rumble only serve to tease us true fans into thinking Nintendo cares.

No, only Gamefreak cares now, and if we lose them to the dark side, I think it's over.

So this is my view: spin-offs are losing heart, Nintendo wants more money for less quality, and we as true Pokemon fans will suffer for this trend.

Post your feelings if you actually read my post (rant lol). I understand I will be contradicted but I had to get this off my chest...
Hmm... MAYBE your an insult to Pokemon Jack. (OWNAGE!)

P.S And about Yoshi. I agree, Wiiware is limited. You basically haven't spent enough time with it Jack. Trust me. I know limited when I see it. You can't make Pikachu look BAD ASS. And I've seen worse (mega man)
Old March 3, 2010, 05:11:50 PM
Linoone

The spin offs have been losing it for a while
Old March 5, 2010, 12:37:31 PM
Charizard

Pokemon Rumble isn't that bad
Hey You! Pikachu is not bad, bad.
But Pokemon Dash is it!

but it depend of the player's taste of game/genre