Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 24, 2012, 08:29:27 AM
Floatzel

Arrow Hometowns

So what's your Hometown like? What's good/bad about the place you live in?

Let's see. i come From Rossendale UK. To be specific I'm actually from Manchester though. Not too much happens here. The countryside and Hills are nice though. And It's always raining, or so it seems. I don't mind the rain really, as long as I don't have to walk in it....
Hmmm. We used to have The North of England's largest dry ski-slope, but that shut down not long ago. Oh, and We also have Britain's last Temperance bar. It's interesting in that it always smells of sarsparilla whenever you walk in. I haven't smelt any other place quite like it actually. It won an award as Britain's best sarsparilla brewer iirc. I don't go there much anyways really though.
Anything else? Just a couple of supermarkets and old mills really. There's a town square but all the local businesses and shops are shut. The supermarket just takes all the customers away I guess.

Positives:
  • It's never too busy or noisy
  • Nice countryside and plenty of space and parks
  • Never too hot
  • Not too far from cities like Manchester.

Negatives
  • Always Raining :<
  • Poor public transport (the buses are infrequent and expensive)
  • Not much happens here. It's a little remote
Old January 24, 2012, 01:27:16 PM
Shaymin

______Now, you probably never heard of the town I live in and probably won't remember after you read this. It is a small farming town that is commonly known as Mexican Town (No joke wiki it). I live in Beardstown. And if you know your geography I live in IL. It is a nice town with a weird smell. Since most of the town is financially supported by the local meat plant, there is a stench of pig and fumes for this plant. It a mile away from Beardstown and still you can smell it.
______In a lot of small town people say it is really borring, but we make fun out of what we got. We don't need no hip skin' rink or such; r imagination for that matter. We just are a laid back community that really inst that progressive. Sometimes the fun is kind mixed in with the drug. In 2009 we were hit hard with the drug there were people arriving and bringing weed with them (That ain't the only drug). From 2008 -2010 there was a 38% increase of people of Mexican decent and 12% increase in french/africanz and 5 % increase of other. So yeah.

That is a brief description of my amazing town.

Positives:
About an hour from bigger towns and the capital.
Fun simple things
No traffic
No crowds

Negatives
Drugs
Stench
Violence warning.

Last edited by teamplasma; January 24, 2012 at 01:28:57 PM.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:49:36 PM
Kyurem

Ahh, Agoura Hills. While not technically my hometown, I've lived there since I was 2, so I guess it counts. Anyways, Agoura is actually a really nice place, home to a (from what other people seem to hear) very good school district. We're somewhat small, but a lot of people seem to live around here. First and foremost, the cost of living here is actually a bit higher that most other small towns. Houses cost more, and other sorts of basic needs are a little more. But that's not too bad.

Surprisingly, our little town is known around the state as a music hub. I guess I can see why; we've got a country club that holds visiting bands on tour, and the high school (which I attend) gains many applicants joining for the music program (also of which I am in). The members of Linkin Park are all alumni of Agoura High School, along with some members of Hoobastank and Fort Minor.

The crime is at a bare minimum. In the time I've lived here, there's been very little major criminal activity. Sure, petty theft and damage are common happenings, but major crime doesn't happen so often. In the time I can recall, there's been minimal drug busts, two murders, and one bank robbery that was foiled very quickly. So otherwise, we're a pretty safe community of just over 20,000. Also, being fairly close to Malibu, we see celebrities every now and then. I have only seen one, to be honest, and it was Gordon Ramsey, talking to people in a Coffee Bean shop.

Positives: Good school district, low criminal activity, low crowds
Negatives: Climate (it's either too hot or too cold), heavy traffic

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoura_Hills,_California

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; January 24, 2012 at 02:51:02 PM.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:00:48 PM
Floatzel

Alpharetta, GA- Near Historic Roswell.

Positives:
We have a huge forest-marshland right next to me, but I'm not allowed back there because technically it's not part of our property.

I could literally go jogging to a supermarket, which isn't even 5 miles from the entrance of our neighbourhood.

There is a lot of farmland around our neighbourhood, even though there isn't any farmland in our neighbourhood.

Negatives:
The homeowner's association here is INSANE. They all are, but mine is exceptionally crazy.

Nothing ever happens here. Since I'm homeschooled and my mom won't even let me walk down to the cul-de-sac without a cell phone, and I have very few activities, I pretty much do nothing but my homework and whatever I want to do on the computer.

I live to far away from family. My relatives all live in Pennsylvania, so...it's a 600 mile trip to go see them, and we only go once every 1-2 years.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
Giratina

Good ol' Waterford. The place that is only on the map cause it's legally a township.

Positives:
-Quiet place
-No crowds, ever
-Nice neighborhoods

Negatives:
-Right next to a town that's even worse than Detroit
-When something happens, it's something gruesome (last year: murder at a store near my house, few years ago, man dies from a gas station explosion)
-Walking around the neighborhoods gives off an awkward feeling
Old January 25, 2012, 07:55:05 AM
Rayquaza

A very, very small village in Lebanon. I go there every summer.

In terms of geography, its area doesn't exceed 4 km squares and altitude is 350 meters. It is very quiet, very lax and very relaxing. The weather in summer is cool and refreshing, while in winters it is between 10 Celsius to below 0 in some cases. Of course, there is a lot of rain in winter, which I find amusing. The village consists of 2 mountains next to each other. The people there have very basic occupations: farming, baking, etc. Those who demand more money move to the city. Although old and basic, yet there is a lot of greenery and we have a football and basketball fields. The people there are nice and if we want to be specific, then almost every single person there will turn out to be my relative somehow...

What I would consider bad in it is its poverty. It is distant from large cities, which makes public transportation zero. Yet things are improving and the negatives are not really that bad.
Old January 25, 2012, 10:25:09 AM
Kyurem

Clarendon, NY. It's terrible. Geographically, it's right under Lake Ontario, near Niagara Falls. There's never any nice weather here. The average temperature in the summer is about 85F and in the winter about 15F. The temperature is nicer in the spring and fall, but in the spring it's always raining. So really there's about a month of nice weather. I'm also not remotely near anything interesting; you have to go down to Rochester for that. I also live out in the countryside, so there isn't really anything at all in the immediate area. There are four color schemes throughout the year; green and more green in the spring, green and yellow in the summer, brown and green in the fall, and then white and brown in the winter (or in the case of this year's unusually warm winter, brown and brown).

Positives:
-Close to Niagara Falls, ~70-80 miles
...That's it, really.

Negatives:
-You never see anything other than trees
-Far too much snow
-Too cold in the winter, too hot and humid in the summer
-The roads are terrible

Last edited by NismoZ; January 25, 2012 at 10:26:02 AM.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:00:14 PM
Kyurem

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. The Dairy Capital of Canada. Farmland all around my town. It's located between London and Toronto. The 2 major highways of the 401 and the 403 join where it is. About 38 000 people.

Positives: - Warm summers
- Cold winters

Negatives: - A lot of wacko's
- Too big of town
Old February 7, 2012, 01:00:14 AM
Regigigas

Aahh Modesto, Water Wealth Contentment Health! The 18th largest city in California, we have roughly around 202,000 residents making us fairly large. In my opinion a great place to live as long as you don't go to Westside. c: It's about an hour and a half away from Sacramento and five to six hours from L.A. depending on how fast you drive. For the most part it's a nice town but crime is an issue here but only in certain areas (Like Westside!!) There have been murders here in the past, most recently a man walking home from work who was the victim of a mugging gone wrong. The saddest part was that all he had on him was a PB&J that his girlfriend made. Along with that there are gangs here as well but most are just dookie wannabes so you shouldn't have anything to fear. I mean who's gonna take a gangbanger named Hot-Dog seriously? Besides the high crime rate Modesto also has a softer side filled with joy. Among others it was the setting of George Lucas's movie American Graffiti witch we have a showing of every year in honor of him since it's also his hometown as well.
That's about it for good 'ol Modesto! It's truly a great place to live despite it's bad sides so come visit sometime!

°Positives- Pleasant weather all year round except during the summer some years,Great historical city, All of our Highschools are California distinguished schools which is quite an honor, home of the Modesto nuts a branch of the SF Giants and Colorado Rockies, Fun restaurants, and most importantly good people! (Except Hot- Dog and his ”Homies”)

° Negatives- Crime, It gets pretty hot sometimes in summer, and gas prices are outrageously high right now!

Last edited by MultiWishMaker; February 7, 2012 at 01:04:31 AM.