Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old August 7, 2014, 11:30:20 PM
Kyurem

Default [SPOILERS] More Mega Evolutions and ORAS Info

CoroCoro's August edition has leaked some new information regarding Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

New Mega Evolutions

First up, we have a Mega Evolution for Altaria, Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria is retyped to Dragon/Fairy and gains the ability Pixilate.
Next, we have an unexpected Mega, Mega Lopunny. It is retyped to Normal/Fighting and gains the ability Scrappy.
Lastly, the ever-popular Salamence gains a Mega in Mega Salamence. It retains its Dragon/Flying typing but gains the ability Aerilate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corocoro9141.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	6281Click image for larger version

Name:	corocoro9142.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	6282Click image for larger version

Name:	corocoro9144.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	6283

Cosplay Pikachu and Contest Info

Pikachu's recently revealed cosplay forms are more than purely aesthetic, it would seem. Each Pikachu gets its own special move that Pikachu cannot learn otherwise, much like Rotom.

Pikachu Rock Star gains the move Meteor Mash.
Pikachu Belle gains the move Icicle Crash.
Pikachu Pop Star gains the move Draining Kiss.
Pikachu Ph. D. gains the move Electric Terrain.
Pikachu Libre gains the move Flying Press.

There is also a new character, Lucia, who is a Contest Idol who gives you clothes for participating in contests. It appears that trainer customization will exist for these contests. Lucia has an Altaria.

Update: It has been confirmed that you can Mega Evolve during contests, but only when the "Excite Meter" is full. How this effects the Excite Meter and your appeal score is unknown. Furthermore, it is confirmed that Feebas's evolution into Milotic will once again return to its roots, being based on Feebas's condition.

Name:	corocoro9143.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	6284Click image for larger version

Name:	corocoro9145.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	6285Click image for larger version

Name:	corocoro9147.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	6292

Event Information

It has been made official that there will be an event where the player can receive a Shiny Beldum holding Metagross's Mega Stone. Details on this event are unclear, although one can assume that it will be distributed much like the Torchic and Blazikenite were.

Name:	corocoro9146.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	6286

Source: Serebii.net

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; August 8, 2014 at 11:17:13 PM.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:18:50 AM
Volcarona

AWESOMEEEEEE do you think there is more info coming because the scheduled release was August 12?
Old August 8, 2014, 06:01:18 AM
Giratina

Ew Mega Salamence looks ugly :< Unless it looks cooler in the actual game, and that's just a bad view at it. Anyways, I <3 Mega Altaria, that thing is just fabulous lol. Mega Lopunny looks pretty neat, I hope she gets some competitive boosts too!

I don't really get these Pikachu Cosplays though, are they only allowed to be used in contests? or do they keep their look and moves until you change it? anyone wanna fill me in on that?

Also, Shiny Beldum YASSSSSSSSS
Old August 8, 2014, 06:58:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Ew Mega Salamence looks ugly :< Unless it looks cooler in the actual game, and that's just a bad view at it. Anyways, I <3 Mega Altaria, that thing is just fabulous lol. Mega Lopunny looks pretty neat, I hope she gets some competitive boosts too!

I don't really get these Pikachu Cosplays though, are they only allowed to be used in contests? or do they keep their look and moves until you change it? anyone wanna fill me in on that?

Also, Shiny Beldum YASSSSSSSSS
I'm pretty sure you can take Pikachu's cosplay outside of contests. After all, when they were first revealed, they were shown in Pokémon-Amie, so they can probably use them outside of contests.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:03:49 AM
Regigigas

Lol, I've already been using Lopunny to Encore that immensely popular Kangaskhan into Fake Out while getting a Fake Out in on Doubles. Will def NOT be using it's Mega, lol.

And wow! My prediction is spot on for Altaria to be Dragon/Fairy!! Pixilate is kinda meh, but it does get Hyper Voice.

Salamence is now flat. Aerilate is interesting. I'm just not sure about it. Mence does get Headbutt and Double Edge in learn up; Thrash as an Egg move. That's about it. Pinsir stood out because of Quick Attack. That's not to say Mence won't be a powerhouse, though.

Edit: Flying Press Pikachu YEAH!! There are screenshots of Pikachu using the moves in battle, so they can be used outside of contests.

Last edited by Sub-zero; August 8, 2014 at 07:06:44 AM.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:25:24 AM
Haxorus

Hi Jump Kick and Bounce becomes a lot more terrifying.
And Mega Salamence looks like he's Rayquaza's younger brother.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:32:03 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
Lol, I've already been using Lopunny to Encore that immensely popular Kangaskhan into Fake Out while getting a Fake Out in on Doubles. Will def NOT be using it's Mega, lol.

And wow! My prediction is spot on for Altaria to be Dragon/Fairy!! Pixilate is kinda meh, but it does get Hyper Voice.

Salamence is now flat. Aerilate is interesting. I'm just not sure about it. Mence does get Headbutt and Double Edge in learn up; Thrash as an Egg move. That's about it. Pinsir stood out because of Quick Attack. That's not to say Mence won't be a powerhouse, though.

Edit: Flying Press Pikachu YEAH!! There are screenshots of Pikachu using the moves in battle, so they can be used outside of contests.
Whoa whoa whoa!!! Pinsir didn't just stand out because of quick attack! Its main selling point is its 199 base power flying type Return! One of the hardest moves to switch into with an excellent attacking type in flying! Just about all Pokemon learn Return through tm so Salamence will be an absolute monster with Aerilate boosted return and STAB Outrage! Not to mention it will be able to use it's base form intimidate to help it set up DD against a lot of physical attackers.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:39:59 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
Whoa whoa whoa!!! Pinsir didn't just stand out because of quick attack! Its main selling point is its 199 base power flying type Return! One of the hardest moves to switch into with an excellent attacking type in flying! Just about all Pokemon learn Return through tm so Salamence will be an absolute monster with Aerilate boosted return and STAB Outrage! Not to mention it will be able to use it's base form intimidate to help it set up DD against a lot of physical attackers.
Oh yeah, Return. Honestly, I wish Game Freak would make more Pokemon to go against Flying/Ground coverage. A good Rock type with Levitate, hurry! xD Or bring a better bag of Ice types. Maybe a pseudo legendary Ice type would be nice. I dunno, I just want to see a break in trends which would lead to a break in the Metagame. What I'm getting at is that I woud like to see more different powerhouses that don't just cover the same moves over and over.

Return/EarthQuake/Set up Move/Recovery if possible or Stab Move

Last edited by Sub-zero; August 8, 2014 at 07:40:34 AM.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:58:12 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Oh yeah, Return. Honestly, I wish Game Freak would make more Pokemon to go against Flying/Ground coverage. A good Rock type with Levitate, hurry! xD Or bring a better bag of Ice types. Maybe a pseudo legendary Ice type would be nice. I dunno, I just want to see a break in trends which would lead to a break in the Metagame. What I'm getting at is that I woud like to see more different powerhouses that don't just cover the same moves over and over.

Return/EarthQuake/Set up Move/Recovery if possible or Stab Move
I agree! Flying attacks have really become a difficult type to defend against and a lot of the threatening flying types have EQ to round out the near perfect coverage.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:49:02 AM

Although I don't really like Mega Altaria, there's something about Dragon/Fairy typing that makes it seem terrifying.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:30:09 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
holy poop wait, mega salamence really does look like rayquaza.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:03:02 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
Wow I didnt realize that, the things portruding off of Salamence's head look exactly like Rayquaza's
Old August 8, 2014, 01:33:41 PM
Keldeo

Am I the only one that thinks MegaMance (that's the worst contraction I've ever come up with) looks like a UFO?

Also, Rock Star Pikachu. I don't know if I should be scared or amazed.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:45:50 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Am I the only one that thinks MegaMance (that's the worst contraction I've ever come up with) looks like a UFO?

Also, Rock Star Pikachu. I don't know if I should be scared or amazed.
You know, it kinda does. The wings especially.

I'm kind of annoyed that Pikachu Ph. D. gets the only support move out of all the Pikachu forms. It's my favorite one and it gets freakin' Electric Terrain of all things. Ewww. I guess it has stronger Thunderbolts, though.

Also, Mega Salamence will no doubt be an absolute boss in competitive play. The design screams out a huge Speed increase.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
Kyurem

They look badass! (Sorry for any bad language)

I think i might use the new dragon/fairy type on a UU team for a mega form change, and the same for Mega Lopunny. (Im thinking of some awsome moves right now) *Goes breeding in 5th to prepare move sets for these megas*

(Prediction time) Now i predict that smogon will somehow ban Mega Salamence & Mega Metagross for no reason over Aegislash & Mega Mawhile.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:17:39 PM
Kyurem

The original post has been updated with a little new tidbit of information about Pokémon Contests.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:51:04 PM
Volcarona

Mega Lopunny is easily my favorite mega announced so far. Yeah, Mega Garchomp and Mega Lucario was cool. But, I can finally enjoy seeing one of the coolest Sinnoh pokemon (imo) for competitive battling. Normal/Fighting with Scrappy was something I've wanted for a couple months now. I can imagine a set of:

Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ice Punch/Fire Punch (Ice Punch for dragons and flying types, Fire Punch for Mega Mawile, Skarmory, and Klefki)
Drain Punch/Quick Attack
High Jump Kick (new move for the gen remake from what I believe)
and Fake Out (so it can get a free turn for mega evolving and gaining certain stats and said ability)

I'm probably looking too far into this, but it's nice to see some love for my first Pokemon gen game that I played, and especially great seeing the low tier pokemon getting some love.

On another note, Mega Salamence is great now since it will give people the option of using Weakness Policy Dragonite or MegaMence. (or both for that matter, watch out for ice tho) Mega Altaria is also great, love the Dragon/Fairy typing, giving it an immune to one of it's weaknesses. With it's weaknesses being very few. Only thing it might have to look out for is Mega Scizor but other then that I'm glad to see it existing.

Edit: Another thing I'd like to mention is Mega Altaria isn't 4x weak to Ice anymore unlike regular Altaria. He's gonna be up there in OU for certain.

Last edited by Charizard98; August 8, 2014 at 11:56:53 PM. Reason: Added cool trait for Altaria mega evolving
Old August 9, 2014, 05:13:49 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard98 View Post
Edit: Another thing I'd like to mention is Mega Altaria isn't 4x weak to Ice anymore unlike regular Altaria. He's gonna be up there in OU for certain.
Plus it's immune to its own type. Switch in on a Draco Meteor or Outrage and fire one right back.
Old August 9, 2014, 05:28:06 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Plus it's immune to its own type. Switch in on a Draco Meteor or Outrage and fire one right back.
But, what's better to carry? Fairy or Dragon for stab? In addition to that, Altaria has access to Fire and Ground moves, so the sole typing good against both those stabs while hitting super effectively would need to be careful on switch in. Good for Altaria! Yeah!! I'll use it cause it's so fluffy. :3

@Matty: Yeah, the good threats have gotten access to EQ. Course, a rock type with Levitate would still need to watch for it's other main weakness, like Fighting and Steel, but it would become a good switch in for things like Pinsir and Talonflame. Either give Lunatone/Solrock better stats or give us a new one!
Old August 9, 2014, 05:40:36 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
But, what's better to carry? Fairy or Dragon for stab? In addition to that, Altaria has access to Fire and Ground moves, so the sole typing good against both those stabs while hitting super effectively would need to be careful on switch in. Good for Altaria! Yeah!! I'll use it cause it's so fluffy. :3
Actually, it says it gets Pixilate, so Return and/or Hyper Beam would be a more powerful attack than Return or Outrage, wouldn't they? Hmm. Well, at least you can still laugh at the Banded Garchomps and Specs Latios and say "hee hee, i'm a Dragon too but you can't hit me anyway!", right? I am such a ten year old.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:04:19 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Actually, it says it gets Pixilate, so Return and/or Hyper Beam would be a more powerful attack than Return or Outrage, wouldn't they? Hmm. Well, at least you can still laugh at the Banded Garchomps and Specs Latios and say "hee hee, i'm a Dragon too but you can't hit me anyway!", right? I am such a ten year old.
You mean Return/Hyper Voice cause lol hyper beam. Haven't done the math, but I believe Hyper Voice is at least somewhere close to what Outrage would do without worrying of burn. Speaking of all of that, I suppose that could make Altaria a efficient mixed attack and/or wall. Just waiting for MFlygon then that'll make my favorite dragons all Mega Evolved. :3 (not Chomper, the Gen 3 dragons)

Yeah! Dragon/Fairy though! I'm excited!

Edit: I'm wondering... You guys think we'll receive just one more batch of Megas? Maybe it'll include Rayquaza along with whatever is left to show off.

Last edited by Sub-zero; August 9, 2014 at 06:05:56 AM.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:30:35 PM
Keldeo

Don't be so quick to mock Hyper Beam in this generation. With Pixilate, Hyper Beam x Pixilate bonus x STAB = 150 x 1.3 x 1.5 = a solid 292 unboosted points of base power, which is about 17% more than Explosion. It's won me quite a few Battle Spots where "normal" moves like Shadow Ball and Moonblast wouldn't have quite done the trick.

Spoiler Alert:    
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 339-399 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 337-397 (93 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 339-399 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 208-246 (57.4 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That's 63% more damage output than Thunderbolt. To OHKO some of the bulkier Waters with Stealth Rocks on a neutral move is pretty bloody strong.

I'm not saying you should use it every turn, but if your Mega Gardevoir or Mega Altaria is down low on health and/or you want to take something down late in the battle, Hyper Beam will work on basically anything except a full health Registeel.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:53:48 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Don't be so quick to mock Hyper Beam in this generation. With Pixilate, Hyper Beam x Pixilate bonus x STAB = 150 x 1.3 x 1.5 = a solid 292 unboosted points of base power, which is about 17% more than Explosion. It's won me quite a few Battle Spots where "normal" moves like Shadow Ball and Moonblast wouldn't have quite done the trick.

Spoiler Alert:    
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 337-397 (93 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 208-246 (57.4 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That's 63% more damage output than Thunderbolt. To OHKO some of the bulkier Waters with Stealth Rocks on a neutral move is pretty bloody strong.

I'm not saying you should use it every turn, but if your Mega Gardevoir or Mega Altaria is down low on health and/or you want to take something down late in the battle, Hyper Beam will work on basically anything except a full health Registeel.
No no, I'm not saying it's not strong or can't be potentially great, but it's quite the risk move. Course, it's not to say that it's not any better than a Pokemon carrying Memento or something.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:07:06 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard98 View Post
Mega Lopunny is easily my favorite mega announced so far. Yeah, Mega Garchomp and Mega Lucario was cool. But, I can finally enjoy seeing one of the coolest Sinnoh pokemon (imo) for competitive battling. Normal/Fighting with Scrappy was something I've wanted for a couple months now. I can imagine a set of:

Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ice Punch/Fire Punch (Ice Punch for dragons and flying types, Fire Punch for Mega Mawile, Skarmory, and Klefki)
Drain Punch/Quick Attack
High Jump Kick (new move for the gen remake from what I believe)
and Fake Out (so it can get a free turn for mega evolving and gaining certain stats and said ability)
Might have to use my copy justu on this set and copy ur idea