Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 28, 2012, 05:18:38 AM
Regigigas

Default The Dark Blog of a Shadowy Umbreon

I figured since we can start making blogs now, I should start one of my own. Expect lots of things related to Minecraft. All of my updates will pretty much be at the end of the day, making this a mix of a blog and journal, so to speak.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:58:35 PM
Regigigas

Today was a dullish day. I mainly did some major computer cleaning and overall home cleaning for a good portion of the day. I'm not very good with organization, and the fact I'm finding quite a few duplicate files verifies that. I have already freed up several gigabytes worth of dupe data, with lots of files still to go through.

In the world of Minecraft, I've been messing around more with my Technic world. I found a tutorial that guarantees a highly efficient/safe form of nuclear power, and I've been coming up with designs to implement it as a main source of power. The design mainly focuses on active cooling, compressing lots of ice to keep the reactor cooled down. It's a good idea to have something like this monitored closely, so I've been studying up on the special programming language of Computercraft called LUA. It reminds me a bit of C++ actually.

I haven't touched the new 1.4.2 release yet, though I should soon. I expect there to be a recommended build of craftbukkit for it by the end of the week.

Speaking of voxel-style games, Blockscape is looking even more beautiful with each sneak peek.

Such high end graphics is bound to come with a hit on overall performance, but not gonna lie: that looks beautiful.

As for work, it was as taxing as it always is. I'm slowly getting stronger and the grueling days are affecting me less with each passing day, which is helpful overall.

That's all for today.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PM
Administrator

Ooh wow, that mod looks amazing!
Old October 28, 2012, 10:09:20 PM
Regigigas

It's not a mod. It's actually a voxel-style game called Blockscape. It's Greenlighted for Steam, so it'll end up being the Steam Minecraft.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:45:08 PM
Regigigas

Today was another day of cleaning and purging, though nowhere near as much as I did yesterday. Purged out all my old backups I had of Minecraft, which freed up 1/5 of the drive's space. Granted it was 9 months of backups, so that's probably why.

Speaking of Minecraft, I finally decided to try out 1.4.2 today. The first thing I noticed was they changed the sounds yet again. The digging/picking/chopping sounds are much more rich and vibrant, and the fall damage sound is completely different. It's not a bone-cracking sound anymore, but a thud like you'd expect to hear from a fall. I like it a lot more than the old bone-crack sound. Much better sound in my opinion.

I also played in a few of my older saves while I was cleaning. Part of the cleaning process I actually liked. One of my saves sucked me in again, pushing me to work on a compact house I had been working on in the past. I may make this kind of house on the server when we can update it to a version of craftbukkit that's compatible with 1.4.2.

I thought that Sandy wouldn't hit us, but a sudden change caused the hurricane to brush through our area, like a tentacle reaching out to cover us with wet rain. Being at the edge of the storm, it didn't cause any sort of damage, just a lot of rain. I hope those out there having to go through this stay safe and sound.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:12:19 PM
Regigigas

Today made me realize one thing about minecraft: there are days you just don't want to do anything on it, and there are days you're building away in a frenzy. Today turned out to be a frenzy day for me, doing quite a bit of building to an underground base I've been working on in one of my SSP worlds. I may end up building a replica of it on the VR server once it updates to 1.4.2, since some things can only really be achieved using 1.4.2 [mainly the ability to transport animals through nether portals]. It's basically an underground base with almost everything available right in base. I'll add pics of it when more of it is finished. All it lacks now is the mob room and bed chambers.

The rest of the day was a typical errand day. We had chinese for lunch before doing any shopping, which was yummy as always. All the food was as delicious as it always is, especially the fried rice. I have no idea why, but it's always perfect. I'm guessing it's thanks to years of practice. After a filling meal, I did some grocery shopping. Besides those things, the rest of the day was pretty much playing Minecraft. I did redeem the code to get Plants vs Zombies for free and played a bit of it.

What did shock me was the news that Disney bought out LucasArts. This opens the window to new Star Wars movies, among other possibilities [like perhaps a Star Wars based world in a future Kingdom Hearts game].Several are thinking that this is the worst news to come out this week, but I'm not sure about that. I'd rather wait and see before judging anything.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:58:38 PM
Regigigas

Not much happened today. That is to be expected on Wednesdays, when I typically work both shifts. I'm used to working on Halloween. Haven't had a Halloween off in...ever. It was a typical Halloween, even with all the promos we did at work to try and pick up business. Day shift was fairly steady, mainly adults eating before the big trick-or-treat a thon they would be doing with their kids after they got out of school. Once school let out, however, the restaurant turned into a graveyard. We're typically busy on holidays, but it's completely opposite on Halloween, since everyone wants to do scary things like watch horror movies, go trick-or-treating, or giving scares to others. It was a nice change of pace, so I didn't mind
Old November 1, 2012, 08:09:01 PM
Regigigas

I mainly did more stuff related to minecraft today. My computer purging has moved to the huge number of instances I have of minecraft on my PC. I use a program called MultiMC, which lets me have as many instances of minecraft installed on my computer as I want. I mainly use them for different versions of vanilla and several mod packs, plus a few dedicated for multiplayer. I played through a few of the instances to see if they still interested me. If they did I would keep them where they were, but probably remove any saves I wasn't interested in anymore. If not, they were archived on another drive to help free up space.

Going through a few of them made me miss the first version of Equivalent Exchange, before it got all kinds of additions that made it way overpowered. The only utility blocks it had back then was the DM furnace [fast smelting and double output], a glowstone aggrigator [makes anything into glowstone blocks over a very long period of time] an obsidian aggrigator [turns redstone into obsidian if you kept it fed with lava and water, also over a very long period of time] and a DM Locus [duplicates items, at the cost of fuel equal to the value of the item]. All other attributes [like the transmutation of material] required a specific amount of material to perform, requiring you to at least do some hard work beforehand. Nowadays all you need is a blaze rod to get everything you could ever want.

I worked on the SSP house a bit more today. Started adding a few guest rooms, which will be in the hallway leading to the main bedroom. It's nearing completion, and I can't wait until it's done.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:37:21 AM
Regigigas

This entry is rather late for a very good reason. Details will be at the end.

Today was another day messing around with Minecraft. I mainly played around with the current version of the Yogbox. One of the mods in the Yogbox is called Millenaire, an advanced villager mod where villages grow and expand as they gather more materials. For some reason I found myself helping to expand one village most of the day, where it was built amongst what it considers unbuildable terrain [due to mountains nearby]. I spent most of my time before work demolishing one of those mountains so they could spread out. I don't know why, but it always feels good to help others.

Work was a typical day, up until I slid and fell in a patch of grease on the floor at the back door. Probably a leaky bucket. I didn't know then, but that fall hurt my knee, as it didn't start hurting till much later, after I got off. I think my constant movement kept it from hurting. I now have a brace and cold compress on that knee, which is already feeling much better. Hopefully it will be healed enough for me to go to work later, though I doubt it. I have to walk slow and shiftily to get anywhere right now, but that was a big improvement from last night where I could barely walk at all. I will most likely have to call out to let it heal, which means I will most likely have to work on Tuesday. Don't want to, but I might not have much of a choice.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:21:08 AM
Regigigas

Today was mainly a day filled with rest, knee exercises and of course Minecraft. Before anyone asks, my knee is doing a lot better now. Most of the pain is now gone, with some movements using it still causes some dull pain, but nothing serious. My walking speed isn't completely 100% yet, but it's enough for me to walk sorta normally, as long as I watch how I walk. Seems that the sprains happened to the side of the knee, so keeping my leg straight while I walk helps keep the pain down to a minimum. It's at the point where I need to keep moving on it to ensure it heals properly and doesn't end up locking up my knee. I'm hoping work will help with that.

Minecraftwise, I continued helping one village expand, up to the point where it was time for them to build the player's first house [yes, with enough rep they will build a house for you], but it required a material that they don't make [each village can make their own items, items that are typically stronger and more durable than their vanilla counterparts]. In this case they lacked Timber Frame, which is like wood but is burn-proof. I had to find another village [which wasn't hard, as a military-style village was at the border of this one] and help it expand enough so they could make Timber Frame. I ended up purchasing the player's second house upgrade in the new village, and am working to gather enough material to help them upgrade. Military villages specialize in advanced iron tools, which are as strong [if not stronger] than diamond tools. So much material, though [like the current request: 996 cobble]. It's worth it in the end though, watching a village grow and expand in front of your eyes.

I really do wish something similar to Millenaire is added to vanilla someday, at least the growth and expansion part. Maybe do it the same way and have villages expand based on how much you've traded with them?
Old November 4, 2012, 09:11:00 AM
Kyurem

I wonder what was the cause of the delayed knee pain in the first place, but good to hear that you're recovering.

I don't think I'll be enjoying Minecraft anytime soon until I get my new laptop. Probably sometime December or just before New Year.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:15:27 PM
Regigigas

To answer that, it was probably because I kept moving rather quickly after the fall, kept the knee working. Only after I stopped working did it start to hurt.

Today was more of the same: minecraft and knee healing. Tending to the villages is becoming a real chore, with one of the requests being for blue wool. That means I had to go hunt for lapis lazuli, which I did eventually find. I also found a spider spawner close to one of the villages. No more need to hunt for sheep for plain wool. Watching these villages grow has tempted me to rebuild my desert village on the server into the image of one from Millenaire, making the buildings more like their Millenaire counterparts. Buildings like inns, library archives, forges, armories, etc.

I decided to go to work today despite the knee, hoping that the constant movement would help keep it from healing into a stiff joint. With the help of an injury-grade knee brace [has really strong support] I was able to get through the shift in one piece, though I had to move at a slower pace than usual and couldn't really bend my left knee that much. All that matters is I got through it, and it feels like the knee is doing even better than before. At this rate it should be fully healed within a few days.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:57:11 PM
Regigigas

Not much happened yesterday besides the usual, so I didn't bother to write.

Today was election day, which made the first half really busy. I did all my shopping early on, trying to get that out of the way. Didn't get much, basic necessities, which pretty much consisted of food. Didn't spend much. After that was a break at home for about an hour before the next round of errands, which was a bit more pleasant. We had lunch at our favorite chinese buffet, and we brought my middle sis and her son with us. We found out one thing about that boy: he loves shrimp. After that we took the middle sis and son home, then voted. I don't plan on telling anyone who I voted for. It would only start a flame war, and I don't want that. After voting, we came home.

The rest of the day was typical minecraft stuff. I decided that a change in texture packs was in order, so I looked around for one. I eventually came across the Painterly one, which is extremely customizeable. It took me two hours to look through every option and make a texture pack of my own. The results were very much worth it though.

Now this is what the nether should look like. As for the mod pack I've been playing, I'm collecting material for the final player house, which is starting to become a pain. High amounts of stone and bricks. Well, it is called the City Estate, so it must be huge. I actually can't wait to see it finished. With that much stone, it must be enormous.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:58:28 AM
Regigigas

It was a typical Double Wednesday for me. Worked all day, which put my knee through the ultimate test. It got through the first half fine, but started to hurt a little towards the end. Luckily we've entered a slow period, so I didn't have to work too hard.

I did play a bit of Minecraft before I left. I started looking into the Thaumcraft part of the Yogbox, wanting the item called the arcane furnace, which can hold nine stacks of items and hold a heat charge for any burnable item's heat that isn't used. Looking closely at Thaumcraft, quite a bit of it has things that resemble the problems we have with pollution today. You can convert items into raw mystical energy, but that energy isn't pure. It contains a "pollutant" called Taint which can harm the environment, much like smog/sludge does today. Most Thaumcraft machines can't use the polluted taint, so it has to be removed. One way is to use Filters, which work and look similar to the smoke stacks you see in coal burning plants. It even has a mystical "coal filter" to help screen out some of the taint. I have a feeling that whoever made this mod had a secondary intent to teach about the dangers of pollution to our environment.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:42:25 AM
Regigigas

Surprisingly today was a day off for me. They're cutting hours at work due to a slow period, and luckily they cut my shortest day. I'm not complaining too much, since it gave me time to rest my knee some more. It'll be a while before it's back to 100%, but with time, hard work and dedication it'll heal.

I mainly spent today going between video cleaning and minecraft, the majority of the time spent with the videos. Another good chunk of space freed up and most of the videos are now organized. I should really get more organized to keep this from happening again in the future.

Minecraftwise, I played some of the Yogbox but not much. Most of my playing time went to messing around with 1.4.2, which I discovered late that day our server updated to. Currently doing backups to both worlds, which I haven't done in awhile I'm ashamed to admit. Hopefully that will change with my new dedication to stay organized.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:18:52 AM
Regigigas

It's been a few days since I've done one of these, mainly because not much has happened.

Most of the last few days were spent doing what I typically do: minecraft. I've been studying up on various engineering designs and looking at a few other mods others have linked me to. One of them I've been trying for a good portion of the last couple days is called Gulliver, which adds an element from Gulliver's Travels, letting you [and other entities/mobs] change size, from 16 blocks high to only 1/4 a block high. You also get additional abilities with different sizes, like being able to ride any mod while small, and also being unnoticed by those mobs [except for spiders]. Course you can get stepped on, which causes quite a bit of damage. Being large also has its own perks/disadvantages [you can step on things to damage them, but fall damage is increased and you can accidentally break blocks you land on]. Coupled with Little Blocks [which turns a block you place the special block into one that can hold 8x8 tiny blocks] it makes for a really interesting Gullver-style playthrough.

Mechanics-wise, I've found a design for a high-speed stone generator that I'm thinking of implementing on the server, if I get it working right in creative testing. I did learn quite a bit off to the side from studying all this engineering [like how to keep stone generators from clogging]. As for the Yogbox run, I'm having trouble finding gold, which is needed for the Thaumcraft side of things, yet I've already found 15 diamonds.

In the real world, I've been doing alright. The knee's slowly getting better each day, with diligence and hard work, keeping it moving so it doesn't stiffen permanently. Other than that, it's all been well.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:36:40 AM
Regigigas

It's been another few days since an entry, mainly due to being really busy and being a bit exhausted.

Tuesday started off early, getting our chores done shortly after 9am. I did my shopping at the local Wal-Mart [I know, but it's the only major store out here that sells games besides K-Mart, who overprices their electronics] so I could pick up Sticker Star. As of today I haven't gotten to play it yet. I also picked up a Pokémon TCG Boundaries Crossed card pack, seeing it was a new expansion pack. Again I haven't opened it, but I do know it has a reverse hollow Empoleon since it's on the front of the pack.

Lunch was typical for a Tuesday: eating at our favorite chinese buffet house. I had my typical things: a fried plate followed by a rice plate, with some ice cream afterwards. The spiciness was back this time, but still no unagi, which is my favorite sushi since they somehow make it taste like barbecued pork. Oh well. The rest of the day pretty much told me one thing: I was exhausted. Ever since I got back from those chores, I was constantly napping. That pretty much happened the rest of the day, from around 4pm to 1am. After that was a real sleeping time, where I slept till around 9am the next day.

Wednesday was a very hectic Double Wednesday. Apparently two of our managers were moved to other stores on short notice, so we had to get used to a new manager, who is male. Puts a nice contrast on our previous all female management staff. The entire day was us cleaning and preparing for the big bosses to show up. I think we did alright. I know they particularly liked how I did my work. After such a long day, I went to bed early that night.

Yesterday was about the same I suppose. I worked in the morning, and had to deal with the repercussions of what happened yesterday [namely lots of prep]. After work I finally got to play some minecraft again, spending most of the time on the Yogbox world. I finally got enough material to build the city estate, which is being built as I type this up. So far it has a massive basement and a decent-sized three-room first floor. The best part is the placement of this estate, which is on a cliff overlooking both villages and a ravine. Scenic view anyone?
Old November 21, 2012, 03:57:29 AM
Regigigas

The last few days have been really busy for me, more than usual. It's mainly due to Thanksgiving coming up, what I call the Day of Feasting. For here, it means lots of housework to prepare for cooking and such. For work, it means lots and lots of prepwork to be done. I was able to get a good deal of the housework done at least.

Yesterday ended up being a typical Tuesday, at first. Errands were done in the morning, which consisted of the usual shopping and eating Chinese. I grabbed a few extra things to help me survive Wednesday and Thursday, like a couple energy drinks and better shoe insoles for my workshoes. The only energy drinks that really works for me are NOS and Java Monsters. I'll need them both in order to survive.

In the world of Minecraft, I was able to make a separate instant of the current recommended Technic pack, adding in Millenaire as well. I started a new world on it, where I'm helping a few Hindu villages flourish. I had to take out a bandit camp close to spawn in order to help them flourish, but in the end that was worth it. I now own that camp [which is really nicely built, like one of those castle ruins bandits would hide in] plus the bandit leader's sword and armor. Norman armor and weapons are really strong, stronger than even diamond armor and weapons. An example is the sword deals a whopping 8 hearts of damage compared to diamond's 3.5. I actually don't use the captured camp much as it's far from the villages. Instead I've set up camp near a volcano, using the basalt from it to make a nice house out of basalt brick.

Closing this blog entry with this: I most likely won't be online again until Thursday night, as work demands I be in at 8am Thursday morning. To get rested up, I'd have to go straight to bed once I get home, which is what I'm going to do.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:10:29 AM
Regigigas

Those two days were indeed rough, but somehow I survived them. Wednesday was mainly a "prep everything you can" day. Same with Thursday, at least in the morning. After we opened though, things got rough fast. Luckily for me there were three of us working the bars, and I had brought a few energy drinks to help get me through the day. Halfway through my shift I was sent on break, where they let me have Thanksgiving lunch for free. I ended up feasting on things like ham, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, steak, sweet potato casserole and quite a few other things.

In the world of Minecraft, the two villages I'm helping is starting to grow out nicely. One of them is starting to grow curry plants. The development of my house is going along nicely as well, though I need to work more on the floor I'm calling the Floor of Knowledge, which will consist of a Quaesitum [researches knowledge for Thaumcraft] and an Enchanter. My next project should be a sugar cane farm, since the Quaesitum requires LOTS of paper.

Sidenote: I really should motivate myself to write more.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:42:10 AM
Regigigas

It's been far too long since I've written an entry. Sorry about that, but I tend to lose interest in things rather easily. I'll try to do a recap of what's happened since my last entry.

On the 1st of December, our city had the annual Christmas parade. Like every year, I treated myself to Krystal's before the event like I do every year, though I think I should have went for Long John Silvers instead. The parade lasted about 35 minutes, and I tested my phone's video recording capabilities by recording the entire thing. The end got split a bit [phone file size limitation], but the results still came out rather good.

We didn't eat at our usual buffet on the 4th [which was also my grandmother's birthday], but we did last Tuesday. Mom had a doctor's appointment on that day anyways, so she couldn't really eat anything before that. I'm starting to find that I'm able to eat a bit more each time I go. I blame the fact that exercises I sneak in at work is causing a larger demand for noms.

Nothing much of interest happened yesterday, except the first of the Christmas presents I ordered arrived today. I had ordered an Aussie Slushie Maker off Woot [a two pack actually], one goes to my younger sis, the other to me . I tried it out last night, and it worked surprisingly well. It didn't slushify everything [I think the juice wasn't cold enough and I left the insulating sleeve on while I left it in the freezer] but it turned out really well. How it works is the walls of the slushie maker is filled with ice water. This makes the container colder than freezing when all that water eventually freezes. Liquids placed in it steadily freeze, the squeezing keeping it from freezing into a solid clump. I think she'll like it, and I know her son will.

As for the world of Minecraft...so much has changed in that regard.

In my Technic Millenaire world, I ended up leaving the villages to their own devices, at least until I advance myself enough to be able to help them expand much more easily. I have started down several mod trees [inb4youclimbdowntrees?] and got myself to about mid level in two of them. In Industrialcraft's tree, I have four LV Solar Arrays feeding into a MFE, which currently powers several mid-tier machines [mainly the advanced machines and a mid-level charging bench]. In Equivalent Exchange's tree, I have gotten to the point where I can take items I mine and convert them into EMC, which I store in several Klein Stars. They're at the Lv.2 mark right now [can't remember the name and too lazy to look it up]. I have no plans to make a condenser/collector/relay or a destruction catalyst. In my opinion those make the game way too easily. My current progress forces me to go out and mine, which keeps it interesting. As for the Thaumcraft tree, I'm still at starting level, using Mystcraft worlds to not only collect material to convert into vis, but to keep any taint effects to the main world at minimum. My first two Ages were Nether worlds, having normal generation but nether monsters spawning along with the normal ones. Ghasts floating in the open sky = scary.

A friend has led me to an interesting mod called Terrafirmacraft, and I've been playing that one as well for a change of pace. Remember at the start that it's hard for me to hold interest in anything for too long? Well, that's one reason I play mods: to change things up and keep Minecraft interesting. Anyways, Terrafirmacraft tries its best to make many aspects of Minecraft more realistic, like not being able to punch trees or stone, the melting of metals requiring a ceramic mold, tools are worked on an anvil [but only require one ingot, or in some cases a double ingot], metals are found in nuggets instead of blocks, a thirst bar was added, health on all entities is much higher to make it unrealistic to punch enemies to death, things like that. It also has actual seasons, which affects the growth of crops and fruit trees [yes, fruit trees]. How you break trees is by using stone tools, which you can make from rocks scattered along the ground. These rocks act like a variation of cobblestone, being different colors and having different properties. In my current world, I am searching for ores on the ground [some rocks on the ground are actually small ore nuggets that have been pushed upwards from an ore vein below] and clay for clay molds. I need to make a pickaxe and saw [saw is used to do advanced work on wood, like support beams. Unsupported ground can cave in].

Whew, that was a big post, but my own fault for not updating more. I should set a reminder to myself to write daily.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:11:33 AM
Regigigas

The last two days were typical for me, though my shifts at work felt slow to me. Perhaps because I have vacation time coming up starting today and every second leading to that time was excruciating. Yep, I'm off up until Boxing Day. I plan to use this time to get a few things at home done that I've been meaning to do, like finish organizing my files on my computer, try to get everything from this current year dealt with, and of course relax to try and de-stress myself from work. The main part of that vacation will most likely start tomorrow though, as today we will be having a Christmas Party, hosted by one of my mom's brothers [an uncle]. We will be having it at [shock] the place where I work, where I can get a group discount for them. I'm sure it'll be fun to be a customer instead of a worker this time.

In the world of Minecraft, I'm finding just how relentless Terrafirmacraft can be. It's not surviving the monsters or keeping hunger/thirst in check. It's finding metal ore to move up in the metallurgy tier. To find starting metal, you break and pick up stones scattered along the ground. If a stone is within range of an ore vein [I think it's a 25x25x25 cube] then there's a chance that stone could be the smaller version of that ore. It's supposed to mimic shifts in the earth, where sometimes ore pieces end up on the surface. I'm finding lots of copper, which is a Tier 2 metal, but I'm still stuck at Tier 1. I need to find either bismuth, tin or zinc metals, which I'm having a lot of trouble finding. I'm not a quitter though, so the search will go on! I also felt that the typical MC day [10 minutes day, 10 minutes night] is too short. Luckily this mod lets you set day and year length [year length mainly deals with months and seasons]. I set it to 30/30 for days/nights and 360 for the year, to more closely mimic actual time.

EDIT: Aaaand of course the moment I complain about finding Tier 1 metals, I find a large patch of sphalerite [zinc]. I think the game can hear me.

Last edited by Shade; December 18, 2012 at 05:18:32 AM.