Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements > News Archive > VRIM and VRC

Notices

VRIM and VRC Victory Road Instant Messenger and Victory Road Chat

Search this Thread
Old February 23, 2011, 12:43:45 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Good.
At it's current state, VRIM makes it impossible to make Konata face. D:
...Manual font settings are not on the todo list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
When you log onto VRIM through a different machine it doesn't retain your settings (i.e. skins, fonts, etc.) Since it saves by IP this sort of ruins the point for some people who log on through school/mobile devices so I thought I'd ask if it would just be set to username instead of IP.
...It has nothing to do with IP, so I'd rather not respond to this.

Some other technically-inclined person can explain the concept of "cookies" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
So, what got me curious is, WHY DO I NOT HAVE POWER IN ALL OFFICIAL ROOMS?
Ask one more time and you won't have power period. When Cat gets around to it, he WILL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
So actually, there should be kick prevention for the VRIM Mods as well, just only other VRIM Mods and higher could kick a VRIM Mod off.

And VRIM admins and moderators could kick off VRIM mods and room owners. (But room owners cannot kick out VRIM mods nor admins.)

And actually you should try and have other VRIM admins able to kick other VRIM admins off (Unnecessary, but could prove quite useful.)

And admins, mods, and owners could kick room moderators
I have my reasons why I won't be doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Is it going to be so that messages can have multiple types of formatting in them or so that the entire message must be uniform? (I'm hoping for the former.)
...More so the former.

Quote:
PMs are cool, bro.
*gives Jad a cookie*

Quote:
Also, like Lite said last night, all staff should be given chat moderation powers(or at least all Admins...I still don't get why you haven't given me or Yoshi powers yet...), not just chat mods. Oh, and might as well say it here, Cat make that VRIM mod group seperate from Content Staff already. :V
That's entirely up to Cat; however, there are several technical reasons why it won't be automatic.

At any rate, let me be clear: this is not the thread to ask for power. Complain about the implementation, meh. But do not ask for power here, or you certainly won't get any.

Last edited by FreezeWarp; February 23, 2011 at 12:47:11 PM. Reason: I'll offend a few fewer people today.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:25:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Also, like Lite said last night, all staff should be given chat moderation powers(or at least all Admins...I still don't get why you haven't given me or Yoshi powers yet...), not just chat mods. Oh, and might as well say it here, Cat make that VRIM mod group seperate from Content Staff already. :V
Yeah, I'll separate content staff when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
...More so the former.
*sighs a little* I thought the idea was so I wouldn't have to use the third party Rich text cells...
Old February 23, 2011, 03:45:19 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
...It has nothing to do with IP, so I'd rather not respond to this.

Some other technically-inclined person can explain the concept of "cookies" to you.
I know how cookies work but isbragg and JC told me this morning that it was IP-based.

If it works by cookies that's still pointless. What if I wipe my browser cookies? It should just be username based.

Also I'm still going to complain about the not-integrating-forum-power-with-VRIM-power thing. Not that I'd ever use it but it'd be really useful to have in case the -designated- chat mods aren't on for whatever reason.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:47:27 PM
Keldeo

I didn't say it was IP based >:I
isbragg did, but I didn't/

LiteTheIronMan 10:26:40am I know what I'm using JC
isbragg 10:26:21am It saves by IP.
JC* 10:26:19am you are using the color awesome and you are using Bauhaus 93.
isbragg 10:26:08am IP Adress is different.
JC* 10:25:58am Lite.
JC* 10:25:56am uhm

Last edited by JC; February 23, 2011 at 03:52:10 PM.
Old February 23, 2011, 04:14:46 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I know how cookies work but isbragg and JC told me this morning that it was IP-based.

If it works by cookies that's still pointless. What if I wipe my browser cookies? It should just be username based.

Also I'm still going to complain about the not-integrating-forum-power-with-VRIM-power thing. Not that I'd ever use it but it'd be really useful to have in case the -designated- chat mods aren't on for whatever reason.

Exactly what settings do you not think transfer anyway? These all do:

- Message formatting.
- Reverse post order.
- Style (if set from VictoryRoad Options Page)
- Disable Formatting & Youtube
- Disable Parental Controls
- Default Room
Old February 23, 2011, 04:49:28 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Exactly what settings do you not think transfer anyway? These all do:

- Message formatting.
- Reverse post order.
- Style (if set from VictoryRoad Options Page)
- Disable Formatting & Youtube
- Disable Parental Controls
- Default Room
Font and skins.
Old February 23, 2011, 04:52:07 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Font and skins.
There is no way to tie font to cookies (after all, they /do/ appear to other users, not just you), and like I said the style is only done with cookies when you use the selector at the bottom of either VR or VRIM (you can change it for good in the user options @ VR).
Old February 24, 2011, 03:59:43 AM
Kyurem

Throughout yesterday and this morning the following changes were made:

1. XML API functions for Active Users, Active Users in Select Rooms, Getting Messages, and Getting Rooms. (This will be a bit more important in time.)
2. Support for manual /topic change via text input.
3. Support for default bold/italics.
4. Ability to disable default formatting at different levels in VRIM's server configuration. (Again, this will be a bit more important in time.)
5. Disabling default formatting when using the "/me" command, and underlying database changes related to this.

The remaining features/improvements for Beta 3:
1. Improvements to the stability of file upload.
2. Improvements in the kick and unkick pages.
3. Improvements in manual BBcode B/U/I/S.

And if time allows I'd like to tackle the double post bug. Beta 3 will be the last Beta; after that will be one or two RCs and API work.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:01:20 PM
Kyurem

Beta 3 has now been released. The full list of changes are:

--From Before--
1. XML API functions for Active Users, Active Users in Select Rooms, Getting Messages, and Getting Rooms. (This will be a bit more important in time.)
2. Support for manual /topic change via text input.
3. Support for default bold/italics.
4. Ability to disable default formatting at different levels in VRIM's server configuration. (Again, this will be a bit more important in time.)
5. Disabling default formatting when using the "/me" command, and underlying database changes related to this.

--New--
6. VictoryRoad Embed
7. Simple Layout (Much Faster Overall)
8. Text Entry and File Upload Javascripts Minified (Faster Loading)
9. Text Entry Stabilization (Warns You When it Won't Work) <-- Seriously, use the dword buttons (at least until you get a hang of things)!
10. Slight Improvements to the Kick Page (not 100% sure if they work)
11. Kick Page is Listed in Menu
12. Styles Separated from the Forum

---

Going forward, only two issues concern me; Browser Testing and the API. Do not send me bug reports about minor things (at this point its probably intentional) - if its major please PM me so I can keep track of things. If you would like to test one of these browsers (you'll have to sit down with me over IM or VRIM for between 30 minutes and an hour), please PM me as well:

1. Android Google Browser (@Mobile)
2. Android Dolphin Browser for Smart Phones (@Mobile)
3. Android Dolphin Browser for Tablets (@Simple)
4. iPod/iPhone Safari Mobile (@Mobile)
5. iPad Safari (@Simple)
6. Nintendo Wii Browser (@Simple)

I will not be testing on Windows Mobile, Nokia, Palm Pre, or Blackberry for this version.
Old February 26, 2011, 08:31:56 AM
Floatzel

For some reason I can't post in VRIM! Whenever I try to post, nothing happens and I am sent to the General Chat room. And whenever I enter a room there aren't any posts (or is it supposed to be like that?) and no posts appear, no matter how long I wait, but if I look in the archives, there are tons of posts!
Old February 26, 2011, 12:51:39 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryseeker99 View Post
For some reason I can't post in VRIM! Whenever I try to post, nothing happens and I am sent to the General Chat room. And whenever I enter a room there aren't any posts (or is it supposed to be like that?) and no posts appear, no matter how long I wait, but if I look in the archives, there are tons of posts!
What browser do you use?

--

Not that many changes today, but among them:

-32px Icon for IE9
-Minification of Color Picker
-Some Code Cleanup

Finally, on a seperate note, the following are the planned requirements for VRIM 1.0:
Desktop
-Internet Explorer 8.0+
-Firefox 3.6+
-Google Chrome Latest
-Opera 9+
-Safari 5+

Mobile
-Nintendo DSi Browser
-Opera Mobile 10 for Android
-Opera Mini 5 (Partial)
-Dolphin HD for Android
-Firefox Mobile for Android
-Safari Mobile for iPhone 4

Light
-Nintendo Wii Browser

If you are able to extensively test and report any bugs in ANY mobile browser using the Mobile Layout (with the exception of the Nintendo DSi), or on the Nintendo Wii using the Light Layout, PLEASE do so. It is greatly appreciated.

--

Few more changes and the like:

1. Made some improvements to the VR applet; http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php?showVRIM=true
2. Fixed a bug when a user has no favourited rooms.
3. Fixed a bug with indefinite message loading in the simple & mobile layouts.
4. A slight Google Analytics tweak to help measure room popularity.

--

Latest Changes
- Made a minor change that should help scrolling on the iPhone if nothing else. Not really a bug fix, but an improvement none-the-less.
- Made a slight change to the VR embed to prevent vertical scrolling with a lot of users on.
- VRIM applet is showed by default on the homepage, though this may not remain. We'll see.
- If Bold/Italics are selected when you load the options, the Preview will show it.

--

The latest batch:

-Mods, Admins, and Room Owners will not be blocked access if they are kicked.
-The kick page, which was broken, has been fixed.
-The manage kick page will now show full years.
-The underlying kick database can support much longer kicks, despite the general pointlessness of doing so.
-Smilies are now case insensitive.

More as it comes.

--

Smilie parsing and been completely rewritten to support [noparse], and may also be faster. The [noparse] code disables all smilies within the text, which should be rather useful.

--

A couple more minor features:
-Your current default colours will display when you go to the options page.
-The light and mobile layouts simply show the number of users in a room, not the specific ones.

--

Alright, latest changes:
- The topic can now change using "/topic", and unlike earlier it will properly work with slashes/etc.
- Topic edit button removed from main page.
- Videos are now disabled in the light and mobile versions.

--

And we have RC1. Total changes:

1. 32px Icon for IE9
2. A variety of code cleanup.
3. A variety of improvements to the VR applet; [url]http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php?showVRIM=true[/url]
-- Fixed an issue with vertical scrolling, for instance.
4. Bold/Italics are shown in the preview on the options onload.
5. Colour and highlight will now default in the options to your current choice and show in the preview.
6. Fixed a bug when a user has no favourited rooms.
7. An scroll improvement that should benefit iPhone users (others possibly as well).
8. Mods, Admins, and Room Owners will not be blocked access if they are kicked.
9. The kick page, which was broken, has been fixed.
10. The manage kick page will now show full years.
11. The underlying kick database can support much longer kicks, despite the general pointlessness of doing so.
12. The smilie parser was completely rewritten; it is now faster, is case insensitive, and supports [noparse].
13. The light and mobile layouts simply show the number of users in a room, not the specific ones.
14. The topic can now change using "/topic", and unlike earlier it will properly work with slashes/etc.
15. Topic edit button removed from main page.
16. Videos are now disabled in the light and mobile versions.

Just fixed bugs with:
-Display of 30 second refresh.
-"%" encoding.

--

Fixed a bug with the smiling engine parsing '")' as '"'.
Also changed wordwrap from newline to space to allow the browser to do things more effectively.

--

By the way, for those wondering, it is possible to hide or automatically activate the chat here:

[url]http://www.victoryroad.net/profile.php?do=editoptions[/url]

Last edited by FreezeWarp; June 24, 2011 at 01:15:39 PM.
Old March 3, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
Haxorus

I think its pretty Freezie. Keep up the good work.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:05:45 PM
Floatzel

I STILL can't use VRIM on my Wii.
Old March 14, 2011, 09:29:16 AM
Servine

sorry if this has already been brought up, but does this mean we will have to download software?
Old March 14, 2011, 09:35:47 AM
Volcarona

If you want; or you can use the web interface.
Old March 14, 2011, 09:58:26 PM
Administrator

I have plans for a "special" terminal version of VRIM later on that will be in Python. (Thanks to KYA for the idea and some code that I can look at.)
Old March 15, 2011, 01:42:33 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I have plans for a "special" terminal version of VRIM later on that will be in Python. (Thanks to KYA for the idea and some code that I can look at.)
...Something I may actually use. w00t!

--

A variety of bugs and such have been fixed recently, among them:

1. Ability to disable the bing completely.
2. Much-needed fixes to the archive show order and the page calculation.
3. Userlinks were broken in the active users page.
4. A handful of others.

--

Support for IE6 & IE7 has landed [a bit late, but it makes it easier to not support either in VRIM2].

...Ironically, this simply entailed doing the following:
IE6: Remove a single "," from a single JS file.
IE7: Do what we did with IE6, and also apply a CSS hack to make the textbox thiner.

I haven't explicitly tested either browser, but IE9 seems to think they both will work now. If anybody can confirm either it would be appreciated.

--

The disable formatting option has been fixed. ...Why no one told me it was broken I can't help but wonder, but meh.

--

Fixed multiple hasPermission bugs, mainly:

1. A severe issue relating to the ability for anyone to moderate rooms.
2. The lacking of being able to delete posts in private IMs.
3. A separate inconsistency with how moderation ability is calculated (non-severe, just a nuisance.)
4. Similarly, another inconsistency with the archive, where only admins could undelete posts.

For those who experienced that downtime and didn't go nutz, my apologies. For those that did... may I recommend Dexedrine?

All of these issues will be ported to VRIM2 tomorrow, for those testing it. Likewise, the next batch of Alpha Testers will be admitted in a few days [at most].

Last edited by FreezeWarp; June 24, 2011 at 01:11:13 PM.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:36:02 PM
Kyurem

Okay, so this performance is unacceptable. After VRIM has been up for a while, my computer starts to hate it. More specifically, Chrome goes from it's normal ~125MB RAM and ~10% CPU usage to ~700MB and ~60-65% CPU. Really slows it down.
Old January 15, 2012, 03:00:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Okay, so this performance is unacceptable. After VRIM has been up for a while, my computer starts to hate it. More specifically, Chrome goes from it's normal ~125MB RAM and ~10% CPU usage to ~700MB and ~60-65% CPU. Really slows it down.
Yeah, it sucks. Not much we can do about it right now.
Old January 15, 2012, 03:06:15 PM
Giratina

Just a note to people that are frustrated with VRIM slowing down your browser:

You can easily clear the memory that is slowing down your browser by doing this:
(Just a note, this works for Windows 7. I'm not sure if it works the same on Vista or other Operating Systems)
-Start up task manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and clicking "Start Task Manager"
-Go to the Processes tab
-Search for your browser.exe (Firefox = firefox.exe, IE = iexplorer.exe, will update after figuring out other browsers) and click it. It should be highlighted now.
-Click the button that says "End Process"
-Restart your browser. Firefox may give you the option to restore previous tabs and IE will immediately restore your tabs.

This will clear the memory that is being built up from your browser and easily get you back on VRIM.

EDIT: This is just a quick restart and wont actually solve the memory problem, but it will quickly clear the memory.
EDIT2: If you're unsure if you have clicked the right item on the list, look at the Description part of the list and see if it truly is your browser. I don't think anyone wants to accidentally close an important process in your computer.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 15, 2012 at 03:10:07 PM.
Old January 15, 2012, 10:32:30 PM
Administrator

Pretty much what PRS said. KYA and I have been researching various languages and methods so that we can build the chat the right way without kludging it many times later on. Given VRIM is an "it works enough for now" kind of thing, we're not going to bother replacing it until the new chat is up.

If you don't really use more than just a room or two, or if you've already gotten used to how to use it, I personally suggest Lite Mode until we build the new one:
http://vrim.victoryroad.net/lite/
Old January 15, 2012, 10:51:51 PM

Quote:
Pretty much what PRS said. KYA and I have been researching various languages and methods so that we can build the chat the right way without kludging it many times later on. Given VRIM is an "it works enough for now" kind of thing, we're not going to bother replacing it until the new chat is up.

If you don't really use more than just a room or two, or if you've already gotten used to how to use it, I personally suggest Lite Mode until we build the new one:
Is it proven to handle the memory better?
Old January 15, 2012, 10:58:35 PM
Administrator

I can run eight tabs of Lite Mode without slowdown on a laptop from 1999 with 160 MB of RAM, while two tabs of the regular mode seem to slow it down considerably. I usually strongly recommend Lite Mode for folks on phones.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:58:45 AM

Quote:
I can run eight tabs of Lite Mode without slowdown on a laptop from 1999 with 160 MB of RAM, while two tabs of the regular mode seem to slow it down considerably. I usually strongly recommend Lite Mode for folks on phones.
Never would've known. The answer to my prayers
Old January 16, 2012, 02:07:44 PM
Administrator

Only troubles with Lite Mode are that many of the links lead to the normal version of the chat and that moderation isn't as simple.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:23:30 PM
Charizard

Couldn't you just fix the links for the main rooms in lite mode?
Old January 16, 2012, 03:39:27 PM
Administrator

If I wasn't bothered by the fact that I have to fix Freeze's messy chat, yes. I'll do it if there is enough interest in it.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:42:54 AM
Kyurem

Quote:

One thing to take note: Lite mode can be a bit wide and is unsuitable for browsers based on the Presto engine on mobiles. (That'd mean Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and the DS/DSi Browser.)
Old June 8, 2012, 07:00:50 AM
Kyurem

Hmm, could you add MarkerFelt to the Comic Sans fallbacks so on iOS it comes up as something readable?
Old June 8, 2012, 12:15:11 PM
Administrator

I actually just fixed that a few days ago, but anyone with Comic Sans would need to refresh their own font settings. The generic "cursive" fallback font has been replaced with the generic "sans serif" font, so you shouldn't see that nasty unreadable mess for new folks. I may go through and update all the folks who are already on Comic Sans with the new version that falls back to the default sans-serif font, but anyone who selects it from now on will should no longer cause the issue.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 8, 2012 at 12:15:25 PM.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:36:38 PM
Kyurem

You got something that tells you how many people are in the chat? Like i want to see how many is in the chat without having to click on the botton first to see.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:49:50 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
You got something that tells you how many people are in the chat? Like i want to see how many is in the chat without having to click on the botton first to see.
I don't see what's so hard about clicking the link, clicking the "Online" tab and finding out from that. It's only two clicks to find out. Plus, I don't see how a counter like that could be added to vBulletin from what it looks like now. It would require some coding into vBulletin itself, not just the site.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:58:20 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I don't see what's so hard about clicking the link, clicking the "Online" tab and finding out from that. It's only two clicks to find out. Plus, I don't see how a counter like that could be added to vBulletin from what it looks like now. It would require some coding into vBulletin itself, not just the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I am sorry, but I think you are in the wrong suggestions thread. So how about we all delete our post and move this to the one for the general forum?
Old June 8, 2012, 02:00:48 PM
Administrator

Posts moved.

If you would like to see who is on the chat without appearing on it, use this page:
http://vrim.victoryroad.net/lite/?action=online
Old July 7, 2012, 11:08:52 AM
Administrator

I have dropped the statistics feature and moved more of the General Chat archive out in hopes of lessening the load on the server. In addition, I have removed the image uploader (you really don't want to know how bad this thing was) and instead suggest using the albums on the forum. Finally, muzzles now tell you how long they last in days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

For those who don't know, a few days ago, I changed it so only mods can change the topic, except in private IMs.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 7, 2012 at 11:12:44 AM.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:28:18 PM
Giratina

Wait.. so there's no vrim as of right now?
Old July 10, 2012, 06:47:00 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Wait.. so there's no vrim as of right now?
There is - the link is merely hidden.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:56:53 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
There is - the link is merely hidden.

Fix'd

Another way to access VRIM is to press Alt+F4.
Old July 10, 2012, 10:35:08 PM
Giratina

All things happen for a reason. If you have Google, common sense, or a brain, then I'm sure you can get to whatever it is that you want. Typing in 4 letters is pretty easy.
Old July 10, 2012, 10:37:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
All things happen for a reason. If you have Google, common sense, or a brain, then I'm sure you can get to whatever it is that you want. Typing in 4 letters is pretty easy.
B-b-b-but that's too hard! D:
I can't access VRIM without the direct link to it! *pouts*
Old July 11, 2012, 09:47:17 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Well. I don't use google often. Bing, gotta support Microsoft :\ Common sense, I got that- Just don't use it. A brain..... I can only use 10% of it! However, I think that 10% should be able to type 4 letters "V" "R" "I" and "M". Thanks.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:46:47 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Well. I don't use google often. Bing, gotta support Microsoft :\ Common sense, I got that- Just don't use it. A brain..... I can only use 10% of it! However, I think that 10% should be able to type 4 letters "V" "R" "I" and "M". Thanks.
Congrats, you've official graduated from the school of common knowledge. Here's your fake diploma and a cookie.
I would never use Bing or support Microsoft. Google all the waaaay!
I go so often that the website got stuck in my Most Visited on the New Tab page of Chrome. That and the forums.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:03:26 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Congrats, you've official graduated from the school of common knowledge. Here's your fake diploma and a cookie.
I would never use Bing or support Microsoft. Google all the waaaay!
I go so often that the website got stuck in my Most Visited on the New Tab page of Chrome. That and the forums.
*noms on cookie.. and the diploma* thanks.