Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 8, 2012, 09:31:48 AM
Kyurem

Default Do you miss keypads on phones?

Using the 110 reminded me of something: keypads are a total non-factor on smartphones. Do you miss the time when you typed on a keypad and had to do a lot of tricks just to get something decent out of a text message?
Old November 8, 2012, 11:05:30 AM
Volcarona

I have a sliding keyboard on my phone and a game on it (Monopoly) that sometimes requires typing a number (bidding in an auction). It would come around to my turn to bid and I'd slide out the keyboard to be greeted with a screen that reads, "Monopoly Classic does not support open keyboard. Please close keyboard to continue playing." Where is the simple keypad when you want it?
Old November 8, 2012, 11:41:50 AM
Charizard

Miss them? I still use them.

Hard to miss it when you can't even be trusted with something close to a smartphone. :\
Old November 8, 2012, 11:42:17 AM
Administrator

Yes, I absolutely miss using physical keyboards! Then again, I only have to use the virtual thing on the tablet.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 8, 2012 at 11:42:51 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
Volcarona

Never ditched them. I hate touchscreens lacking a keyboard with an unrivaled passion.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:29:03 PM
Shaymin

I do miss them. Makes me screw up letters less. Aw well. Least I don't have to worry about it typing if I place it in my pocket or something not in it's case.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:55:33 AM
Giratina

If we're talking about keypads in the sense of a 12-button calculator-like layout, heck no. I'm glad they've been ditched, they're the slowest, clunkiest pieces of technology I've had to use.

If we're on about full qwerty keyboards, I'm still on a blackberry so I've got a mini one on my phone. I don't really mind whether that goes or not, but its clicky-ness is satisfying. I just wish the dang thing was more powerful, and could play a 3-minute 240i video without wasting 1/4 battery...
Old November 10, 2012, 08:04:31 PM

Typing doesn't sound like pouring milk into a bowl of Rice Krispies anymore, but I guess the less effort it takes to type, the better. My Palm Pre Plus had buttons that were hard to press and I probably burned 50 calories typing "nm u?"
Old November 11, 2012, 03:00:41 AM
Kyurem

I personally find touchscreen keyboards to be much more responsive for long text input, but only with fingers. Stylus? No go.

Even our laptop and mobile physical keyboards are not clicky anymore, but I guess it's a sorta-good thing, since it's also compact and silent.

Still...

I like the feeling of punching buttons on my 110. Maybe it's the old-school feeling.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:55:18 AM
Giratina

I don't really miss it, it was kind of annoying trying to type with my large thumbs on that tiny keyboard. I even had to push down with my nails to get the right letter. And what if I cut off my nails? Out of luck. I've always preferred actual computer-sized keyboards and their clickyness. Such a sweet sound to me~ Adapting to touchscreen wasn't hard at all, and I almost like it more.Oh wait, but the numberpad. That was hot, I'd like having one, actually.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:14:55 PM
Servine

I don't really have much of a preference. Virtual mobile keyboards work fine with me, as do physical ones. I keep it simple and use whatever works.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:18:22 PM
Shaymin

Yeah, I do. I think that it as easier for my to type, and it was a hard transition for when they were gone. I also like the feeling of knowing when I have touched a key, rather then on the iPhone you cant feel the edges of the keys. ;~;
Old November 17, 2012, 08:47:40 PM
Mudkip

I really miss them... I find it so hard to type stuff now. ;-;

Quote:
Least I don't have to worry about it typing if I place it in my pocket or something not in it's case.
This is like, the only thing I actually like about virtual keypads.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:58:48 PM

I've fiddled with my sister's boyfriend's smartphone, and I have to say...

Virtual keyboards aren't quite as good as I expected them to be. It might just be my large fingers/hands, but trying to create a text message on it took way longer for me than it would if I had used a phone with a physical keypad.

Last edited by Cyrus; November 17, 2012 at 10:58:55 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:04:41 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
I've fiddled with my sister's boyfriend's smartphone, and I have to say...

Virtual keyboards aren't quite as good as I expected them to be. It might just be my large fingers/hands, but trying to create a text message on it took way longer for me than it would if I had used a phone with a physical keypad.
One of the tips from the Windows Phone team: trust the autocorrection. Don't look at the keyboard while you're typing - get a feel, a rhythm going. The autocorrect on Windows Phone keyboard works really well. If the phone's an iPhone, it's good, too.

Just be careful of the awful Android keyboard.

Last edited by Twiggy; November 18, 2012 at 03:05:01 AM.