Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 13, 2012, 08:07:45 AM
Kyurem

Default Internet Explorer 10

Windows 7 users (and 2008 R2), now's the preview.

Download here.

Took them long enough, huh?

Feels like a small part of Windows 8 in a Windows 7 world, but with ClearType intact.

Last edited by Twiggy; November 13, 2012 at 08:24:25 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:28:25 PM
Volcarona

As much as I dislike Internet Explorer, I shall try it out just to see what's new that IE10 has to offer.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:34:28 AM
Servine

Let me know how it goes.

I usually keep as far away as possible from IE in general. I've only used it to download the browsers that I do use (e.g. Firefox, Chrome) and then I disable it indefinitely.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:40:40 PM
Administrator

It's definitely faster and more stable than IE 9 and feels faster than Firefox 16. Compared to Opera, it's faster at some things (starting up and closing) and slower at others (using Flash/Java content). Dunno about Chrome, but I don't really use that anymore.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 18, 2012 at 02:40:54 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:09:34 PM
Giratina

I've used it since I got my new laptop. I think it's a great step up, and I'm finally starting to appreciate the multiple taskbar button per tab thing. It's convenient for opening up a specific tab when you want it to. And currently, it's been failing a loooot less times than Chrome.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:17:39 AM
Kyurem

After a while using it, I find Internet Explorer 10 to handle really fancy websites much better than IE9 or Chrome. Chrome likes to choke on anything without a beefy enough CPU, while IE9 is aging at this point - it was fast, but it couldn't handle script-heavy sites or render more advanced effects.

Besides, I prefer the IE10 Desktop interface more than Chrome by a long shot - I find Chrome's interface to be too clunky compared to Firefox, Opera, and definitely IE. Taskbar sites don't hurt, either, and previews.

Also, nice bonus: if connection was dropped for whatever reason and it causes pages to break, as soon as you get a working Internet connection again, all such pages will refresh.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:10:00 PM
Administrator

Oh, if anyone is curious why the Metro version of IE10 is so fast, there are two key reasons:
  • All inactive tabs are put to sleep. No JavaScript or other page activity is allowed to run on tabs that are not active. This includes when the browser is not the active app.
  • It doesn't support any plugins whatsoever, including Flash. This means the entire plugin API is not loaded.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:18:34 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Oh, if anyone is curious why the Metro version of IE10 is so fast, there are two key reasons:
  • All inactive tabs are put to sleep. No JavaScript or other page activity is allowed to run on tabs that are not active. This includes when the browser is not the active app.
  • It doesn't support any plugins whatsoever, including Flash. This means the entire plugin API is not loaded.
Unless said site is whitelisted.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:09:04 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Unless said site is whitelisted.

Oh, I was just about to say "The why does YouTube work? " And speaking of YouTube, it's not put to sleep if another video is playing. If I switch to a new tab then the video will continue playing in the background.

At least that answers my questions as to why I couldn't see a video embedded here.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:15:41 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Oh, I was just about to say "The why does YouTube work? " And speaking of YouTube, it's not put to sleep if another video is playing. If I switch to a new tab then the video will continue playing in the background.

At least that answers my questions as to why I couldn't see a video embedded here.
Internet Explorer 9 and newer is also HTML5 video-capable. YouTube should work whether Flash is there or not. (See my phone.)