Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 22, 2013, 09:31:12 AM
Kyurem

Default Looks like my old desktop is primed for recycling

I guess with me using my laptop, and their performance characteristics being very similar for the most part, we figured that it's time to recycle the big, old clunky mess of a desktop that won't boot.

Should I salvage anything there first? (I have a feeling that I need to remove the hard disk first...)

(I have a strong feeling that the next computer there should be a nettop class computer...)
Old March 22, 2013, 11:20:14 AM
Administrator

Of course, take the hard drive out. Even if it doesn't work, you should still keep prying eyes away from it. RAM is always nice to hold onto, as could be the optical drive. Does the power supply work? That could be useful down the road, too.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:15:52 AM
Rayquaza

Wow Ironic Twiggy right now I'm under the same situation.

The fan in my lap top broke and it's already falling apart so I'm thinking about getting a new one. Will it be possible for me to trade in my computer while also being able to transfer in all the memory?
Old March 23, 2013, 08:54:36 AM
Kyurem

Hm... I better get things done as I won't be sticking around in my old home very soon. The HP printer was recycled - the computer's next, and I guess I better get the data off the disk drive - maybe there's something I really need in there. I wonder what are the uses of DDR2 memory and the optical drive... I think the CPU's singed, so I am not touching it. I wouldn't stick the GPU anywhere, either - it's a power guzzler at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Wow Ironic Twiggy right now I'm under the same situation.

The fan in my lap top broke and it's already falling apart so I'm thinking about getting a new one. Will it be possible for me to trade in my computer while also being able to transfer in all the memory?
Can you get the hard disk out and is it an ATA-based disk (Parallel, serial, or mSATA)?

If yes, do you have an external enclosure or at least a USM module (this comes free and attached to Seagate GoFlex and Backup Plus external drives, but will work but look tacky with an internal drive)?

If yes to both of them, install the hard disk into the external enclosure or attach it to a suitable USM module, and get the data off using another computer.

If yes to the first but no to the second, get an external enclosure, then install the hard disk into the external enclosure, and get the data off using another computer.

If no to the first question, you'll need professional help. (This is a problem when your laptop uses a non-standard connection (Apple laptops, for example))

After getting the data off, if needed, erase disk contents, and trade the laptop in after reinstalling the hard disk to the laptop.

Last edited by Twiggy; March 23, 2013 at 10:23:58 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:08:16 PM
Rayquaza

I can't remove the hard drive but when I went to Staples today I learned about this if you're interested.

www.tradeuptotouch.com

Right now I'm interested in getting this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...77879&csid=_61
I really excited for getting Windows 8

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 23, 2013 at 01:29:33 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:19:33 PM
Kyurem

I guess I better get to work on removing components today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I can't remove the hard drive but when I went to Staples today I learned about this if you're interested.

www.tradeuptotouch.com

Right now I'm interested in getting this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...77879&csid=_61
I really excited for getting Windows 8
Ouch! You might want to ask for help.

Looks nice. Just remember to get a matte screen protector. These screens usually reflect like no tomorrow. And are fingerprint magnets.

I just finished removing stuff, and after prepping stuff that can't be used anymore, this is what I have left.

Hmm... what to do? I know that the graphics card will be out of place in anything resembling an HTPC if it even fits in the first place, as it's a power guzzler. The memory's also out of date. Give away to you guys?

(The Core 2 Quad is burnt. The motherboard has badly-bent pins. The PSU is unreliable. The audio cables are busted. The battery shows sign of... toastiness?)

Last edited by Twiggy; March 24, 2013 at 01:43:10 AM.