Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 26, 2013, 01:53:50 PM
Administrator

Default Windows Blue: No Desktop?

There's talk of a new Microsoft Windows operating system that will completely abolish the Desktop metaphor and interface. (I'm going to capitalize "Desktop" to refer to the Windows Desktop to differentiate it from the category of computers with the same name.) Now, before getting jumpy, this is not specifically Windows 9, an update to Windows 8, or even necessarily something designed for desktop computers. This may very well be something for tablets only--which I personally think is great and what Windows RT should have been in the first place. RT does not need the Desktop interface at the current point in time, although I've heard that ARM compilers have been coming out to create Desktop apps on it.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/no-windows-desk...no-7000013099/

My opinion for Windows 8 still stands: Metro needs to be toned down a little bit and made a bit easier to use with a mouse for it to truly shine and prevent folks from downgrading to Windows 7. If this new OS manages to come out for desktop computers, I have a feeling that Microsoft will continue getting massive sales for standalone copies of Windows 7 (or have to deal with a lot more piracy) or lose a lot of power users to Linux.

Again, though, the takeaway here: Blue, rumored to lack the Desktop interface, may be only for tablets, with no mention of 9 at all.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:14:19 PM
Giratina

This reminds me of 7 and how it was an update to Vista: This sounds like a tablet-exclusive update to 8 in the version of Blue.
I do think Windows 8 should've never been on desktops though. Too tablet friendly and not desktop friendly enough. Sure, it's useful for people who have touch-screen monitors or all-in-one computers, but most people have a computer, a monitor, and a keyboard and mouse - the standard desktop setup, you know?