Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 8, 2011, 08:01:53 PM
Zoroark

Default What a bummer (my Volcarona catch)...

So I was soft resetting as I was trying to get decent stats for my Volcarona (about 6 tries unfortunately til I got something somewhat good) and I come out finally with this:

Volcarona
Serious Nature
30 HP, 30 Sp. Attack, 29 Sp. Def.

Great, until...

0 Speed

Gah!

Yeah, just had to voice my thoughts. Great offense, sucky, sucky speed. I can't hit things as hard as I wanted to!

Any other Pokes you had to compromise IV-wise or Nature-wise to get at least something usable stats?
Old April 8, 2011, 08:06:24 PM

Well, at least Volcarona aren't the speediest in the world. Those are some great stats on that one though, you lucky sonuvagun. I compromised on my Cobalion. I SR'd at least 20 times, and I think I settled for mid20s on Speed and Attack.
Old April 8, 2011, 08:09:13 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Well, at least Volcarona aren't the speediest in the world. Those are some great stats on that one though, you lucky sonuvagun. I compromised on my Cobalion. I SR'd at least 20 times, and I think I settled for mid20s on Speed and Attack.
Yeah, it was a great combination (why I kept it too), but that speed...man, it won't outspeed much even in the 100's range. And a neutral nature doesn't help either.

EV training will help a little, so I really shouldn't complain. It's just so blatantly obvious that it's slow with that big "0" staring me in the face. Not even the teens. :/
Old April 8, 2011, 09:26:48 PM
Shaymin

I haven't been catching my legends or other rare Pokemon for IVs. I did, however, go on a journey to (and in White, succeeded in) catch every legend in a Poke Ball, as well as Volcarona and Zoroark.

I just hope that if I do ever use those Pokemon they don't have terrible IVs.
Old April 9, 2011, 04:52:29 AM
Regigigas

I caught a Volcarona, but I didn't SR 50 times or whatever to get the perfect one. I kept one of the first I found. I didn't even calculate its IVs. All I know is its highest IV is Attack (which sucks) and it's bold nature (+Defense -Attack), and I consider it one of my best Pokemon.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:44:39 AM
Landorus

I actually caught Volcarona with my second nest ball, saw decent speed and amazing Sp. Atk, terrible regular attack, and said, "Must be how it's made" and walked away.
Old April 9, 2011, 07:37:50 AM
Keldeo

Ahh dood. Way better then mine man. My volcarano got an adamant nature. Its all good though. I raised the one you get from an egg and it had a good nature if I recall. Both are female too so ya know if anything goes wrong I can just breed some. This things so beast. The devastating sweeper of teams. Ya know, until LOLBLISSY shows up. >w>
Old April 9, 2011, 08:28:06 AM
Kyurem

Yeah I thought you could just breed these things. XD

Anyway, I spent days with Zapdos in HG, and eventually ended up compromising Speed (17 or something) so that I could get perfect HP and really gnarly Defense. Pesky legendaries, not breeding and all...
Old April 9, 2011, 02:11:32 PM
Volcarona

I never really noticed how an Impish nature lowers Sp. Attack when I trained my Lucario to be a Sp. Attacker. I found a way around this by giving it an Expert Belt and teaching it moves that cover as much types as possible, and it actually works as long as my Lucario has a super effective move. Plus I'm going to drop a move for Calm Mind.

There's also a few others that I had to compromise. Soft resetting is a tedious task for me. xD
Old April 9, 2011, 03:13:04 PM
Zoroark

Volcarona was enough of a biznitch to catch the first go around. I took what I had the first time. I'm not picky with IVs.
Old April 10, 2011, 05:48:47 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiDragunov View Post
Volcarona was enough of a biznitch to catch the first go around. I took what I had the first time. I'm not picky with IVs.
Lucky you. I'm OCD about it now that I understand how IV's work. I just can't stop resetting.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:23:29 PM
Administrator

I'm not picky with IVs either, but there's something that Pokémon games really need: a save system that keeps the last two saves instead of just one. That way, you can reserve a one-time Pokémon that isn't the best you're hoping for but will gladly accept if nothing better comes along.

Now, what if you had to choose between normal with awesome IVs or shiny with horrible IVs? Well, that would depend on if you're going to keep it for a collection or train it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 10, 2011 at 06:27:40 PM.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:14:19 AM
Celebi

I think I might have got the best Volcarona yet! I caught mine a few weeks ago but I want all of my Pokemon to have good Natures that are suitable for that Pokemon though I don't care much about the IVs until I got this guy. I had to SR about 70 times (I'm not joking) and I finally got a Modest Nature one. I EVd it with 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd and raised it to Lv100 and decided to check my IVs and I was amazed! All of its IVs were above 20. Here they are HP 29, Atk 21, Def 30, Sp.Atk 31, Sp.Def 25, Spd 27. Now tell me that isn't awesome! I can't make a good team to use it in but I still use it in my SandStorm team every now and then because it is a devistating sweeper but it doesn't last long.

Last edited by [TRDRS]PokeTrader; April 17, 2011 at 06:38:55 AM.
Old April 12, 2011, 10:11:37 AM
Giratina

So the legendaries which I caught in Pokemon Black had advantageous natures, and I was satisfied with both of them... until I saw this thread and decided to check for their IVs. Turns out the two have a zero in one of their stats, which is just plain annoying! =/

I guess it's not that big of a deal in B/W, though, since standard competitive battling has been completely wiped away due to the new Wi-Fi options (which I don't play by)...

Last edited by Shadow; April 12, 2011 at 10:15:06 AM.
Old April 12, 2011, 03:26:20 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack91 View Post
Lucky you. I'm OCD about it now that I understand how IV's work. I just can't stop resetting.
I don't understand and don't care about understanding. XD

I miss the old days when having something lv100 was an achievement in itself. Now, it has to be level 100 with perfect EVs, IVs, and Natures to be considered good. :/
Old April 12, 2011, 11:04:12 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
God, I know just how you feel. I spent 3 1/2 hours just trying to get the perfect starter last month......
Old April 16, 2011, 03:18:21 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
I don't understand and don't care about understanding. XD

I miss the old days when having something lv100 was an achievement in itself. Now, it has to be level 100 with perfect EVs, IVs, and Natures to be considered good. :/
I didn't worry about these things until my Mewtwo was getting owned by a Jumpluff on Colosseum. I didn't realize the game had changed so much in Ruby and Sapphire so I did my research.

I like the added challenge, but I do miss the days when any Mewtwo was epic and Dragonite kicked everyone's butt because stats were inherently good.

If they took away EV's and IV's as factors in standard gameplay (meaning you got what you got and there's no difference really), what would happen? Would that turn off players or only invite more to play?
Old April 16, 2011, 04:46:29 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'm not picky with IVs either
Now, what if you had to choose between normal with awesome IVs or shiny with horrible IVs? Well, that would depend on if you're going to keep it for a collection or train it.
I totaly agree with you Cat I dont really care about my IVs as long as it can fight back. And also depending on the Pokemon IVs can be important like if you use it to fight you will need high Attack and Sp Attack but a Pokemon that you use to switch out to heal needs to be a tank like Snorlax and needs high HP and Defence. IVs are important for me sometimes with competitive battling. My style is normaly going to be go all out with power so I would use a tough Pokemon like Tyranitar. So IVs ARE important in a way
Old April 17, 2011, 11:32:33 AM
Zoroark

Quote:

I didn't worry about these things until my Mewtwo was getting owned by a Jumpluff on Colosseum. I didn't realize the game had changed so much in Ruby and Sapphire so I did my research.

I like the added challenge, but I do miss the days when any Mewtwo was epic and Dragonite kicked everyone's butt because stats were inherently good.

If they took away EV's and IV's as factors in standard gameplay (meaning you got what you got and there's no difference really), what would happen? Would that turn off players or only invite more to play?
It'd be a mixed reaction probably. The guys who breed/train for perfect stats for competitive battles would probably be mad, but personally I'd rejoice. It makes life so much easier not to worry about catching 3 of the same Pokemon to get a nature that doesn't cripple it.
Old April 17, 2011, 02:51:11 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
It'd be a mixed reaction probably. The guys who breed/train for perfect stats for competitive battles would probably be mad, but personally I'd rejoice. It makes life so much easier not to worry about catching 3 of the same Pokemon to get a nature that doesn't cripple it.
Being a complete competitive nut who obsesses over natures and IVs, I still agree with you. Its not like I ENJOY doing any of that, since it just makes things more tedious... It would make creating new teams much easier and faster, and would give you more Pokemon to mix and match with. I mean, no EVs is just about the same as maxed EVs when you think about it.
Old April 18, 2011, 01:41:53 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
So I was soft resetting as I was trying to get decent stats for my Volcarona (about 6 tries unfortunately til I got something somewhat good) and I come out finally with this:

Volcarona
Serious Nature
30 HP, 30 Sp. Attack, 29 Sp. Def.

Great, until...

0 Speed

Gah!

Yeah, just had to voice my thoughts. Great offense, sucky, sucky speed. I can't hit things as hard as I wanted to!

Any other Pokes you had to compromise IV-wise or Nature-wise to get at least something usable stats?
Um...
Isn't it larvesta? Volcarona is at level 70. Those are HORRIBLE stats if it volcarona.
Old April 18, 2011, 02:37:58 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coteup View Post
Um...
Isn't it larvesta? Volcarona is at level 70. Those are HORRIBLE stats if it volcarona.
Larvesta evolves into Volcarona and you can catch Volcarona. He soft-resetted for those stats while trying to catch the Volcarona.
Old April 18, 2011, 02:45:38 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Larvesta evolves into Volcarona and you can catch Volcarona. He soft-resetted for those stats while trying to catch the Volcarona.
I know that. It's just that a level 70 would have around 100 stats, not 30

Cobalion would also not have things in the 20's.
Old April 18, 2011, 03:08:01 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coteup View Post
I know that. It's just that a level 70 would have around 100 stats, not 30

Cobalion would also not have things in the 20's.

You're confusing base stats with IVs.

IVs are set numbers between 0-31. They determine how great the actual stats are.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ividual_values

The stats discussed about in this thread were IVs. It's only natural that they were around the 30s. And 30s are excellent IV stats.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 18, 2011 at 03:11:00 PM.
Old April 18, 2011, 05:01:33 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post

You're confusing base stats with IVs.

IVs are set numbers between 0-31. They determine how great the actual stats are.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ividual_values

The stats discussed about in this thread were IVs. It's only natural that they were around the 30s. And 30s are excellent IV stats.

^ This. Lite is right. IV's are not the same as base stats. All Pokemon are different based on these values (the old quote I believe being "this Pidgey is the same level as this Pidgey, but they both have totally different stats"). This is what we're talking about, how IV's (in general) affect how we treat Pokes.

My Volcarona did come out great, but someone who plays pro all the time (more so than me) would probably have more of a fit and soft-reset a few more times because its speed is a minimum.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:49:28 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
My Volcarona did come out great, but someone who plays pro all the time (more so than me) would probably have more of a fit and soft-reset a few more times because its speed is a minimum.
Nah, they would just breed hundreds of eggs until they got one with perfect IVs and the best possible nature for it. ^_^
Old April 21, 2011, 03:17:29 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Nah, they would just breed hundreds of eggs until they got one with perfect IVs and the best possible nature for it. ^_^
Ew, breeding Volcarona and then having to level up Larvesta for good stats? I'll take that shot in the foot now please?