Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 5, 2012, 04:41:18 PM
Rayquaza

Default Has Nickelodeon Given Up?

You know for all the crap I'd give for today's kids shows I still like to think each network still has there own good shows, Cartoon Network may have sadly Annoying Orange but they also have Adventure Time, Regular Show and I've even been pretty impressed with How To Train Your Dragon.

Gravity Falls is so good it makes nearly every one of there horrible sitcoms redeemable.

Disney XD also has a pretty fair line up even if they getting beaten with a stick by there creators or getting beaten themselves.

And The Hub well may I say more?

But Nickelodeon, they have nothing! They gave Fred another TV show, a long line up of equally bad live action shows and yet another live action Fairly Odd Parents Movie that defines the word awful. Sure they still have Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents but those shows have long gone past there prime and don't even get me started on the shows they make for Nicktoons network.

So my question is, have they given up putting effort in there shows?
Old December 5, 2012, 04:48:15 PM
Celebi

Well...Nickelodeon it's self is past it's prime
in the 90's they had ALOT of cartoons and Funny Sitcoms....then they got an influx of cartoons from 93-onward (Spongebob and Fairly Odd-Parents, Doug.. especially)
now it's mostly Sitcoms....and they even got DBZ:Kai.....and it's just not that good anymore imo i dont enjoy watching Nickelodeon...now even more that there doing some Live action stuff
Old December 5, 2012, 05:03:11 PM
Linoone

Honestly, yes. Instead of trying to stick with good cartoons and a few live shows that are funny, they've tried to relate to the 'modern teen'. We see how that generation is going and they want to make something that interests them... That's where they messed up. Cartoon Network added The Annoying Orange to entertain younger viewers, and Disney did the same thing Nick is doing. Unlike Nick, Disney realized the error of their ways and added Gravity Falls to try to redeem themselves.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:38:26 PM
Charizard

As much as it was a huge part of my childhood...
It definitely feels like it.
I fear that this once great station is giving up.
I feel that it is on life support, held up by FoP and Spongebob, which are, themselves, on life support.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:46:11 PM
Giratina

I think Nickelodeon should take a page out of Cartoon Network's book and make a channel dedicated to their classic shows. I've noticed a big portion of what I watch on TV (rather, what I keep on as background noise) is old cartoon shows that are playing on Boomerang. Interesting to see what Nick will do to keep pace with its competitors.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:19:15 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I think Nickelodeon should take a page out of Cartoon Network's book and make a channel dedicated to their classic shows. I've noticed a big portion of what I watch on TV (rather, what I keep on as background noise) is old cartoon shows that are playing on Boomerang. Interesting to see what Nick will do to keep pace with its competitors.
Actually that's kind of what the channel Teen Nick is becoming.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:32:42 PM

I do agree with Kylce, Spongebob and FoP are the two main shows that are keeping Nickelodean alfoat. It's a shame to see such good childhood shows lose their luster. It makes me question how earlier shows have evolved into the current ones today. Whatever happened to Hey Arnold or Jimmy Neutron? Much like how people are complaining that Pokemon games are running out of ideas, I can see the same case with Nickelodean; they are running out of good ideas to attract a large audience.

I've been thinking about this particular question for a while: "Would I want my children to watch these current shows?" Of course, my answer would be no. In my opinion, Nickelodean is currently trying to make their shows more kid-friendly rather than for a more broad audience for all ages. I'll admit, I'll probably re-watch the episodes of Hey Arnold when I'm 40 or even 50 because of how that show can be entertaining for all ages. A channel dedicated for the old shows from Nickelodean would be a great option, as Quad suggested. It would be a great parallel to Boomerang, as I would definitely watch old shows from Nickelodean.

Last edited by Reuniclus; December 5, 2012 at 08:34:58 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:40:31 PM
Administrator

*eyes DVD of Rocko's Modern Life on the shelf*

I haven't watched much of Nickelodeon lately, apart from SpongeBob SquarePants. That show somehow never becomes stale. I do remember quite a few of the classics from when I was younger. But yeah, I blame the fact I barely watch TV anymore. Maybe I should try watching more to check out what's new? *shrugs*
Old December 5, 2012, 08:51:12 PM
Giratina

Well Hey Arnold and Jimmy Neutron both ended with proper season finales, I know that. Jimmy Neutron's was the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3. Its successor was Planet Sheen and... eh... I honestly watch Nicktoons Network and Teen Nick a thousand times more often than I watch the actual Nick channel itself simply because it has the good old stuff. Plus, "The 90s are All That" on Teen Nick is a great little block for the old cartoons and live action shows when they were more humor less drama. Nick used to be my favorite, but I can't get into any of its newer shows. Disney and CN have some things that are new that still pull me in, but for Nick it's all Danny Phantom, Chalkzone, and Avatar (Ended, cancelled, ended.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Maybe I should try watching more to check out what's new? *shrugs*
Save your sanity and don't do this.

Last edited by TurtwigX; December 5, 2012 at 08:54:32 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:42:33 AM
Charizard

I'm just glad they're getting Digimon Fusion (aka Digimon Xros Wars) this year!

Disney mutilated and molested the previous season, and I have faith that Saban won't F this one up too much.

Last edited by Digimon Kaiser; February 17, 2013 at 03:44:10 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:26:11 AM
Zoroark

Old February 17, 2013, 07:31:37 AM
Rayquaza

I read that late last year Nickelodeon has been trying revamp there ow schedule after receiving increasing low ratings, this is most likely why most of there live action shows have been cancelled.

Also Big Time Rush is worst show I will ever see, no show will ever have less effort or people not giving a crap about what they're doing.

Last edited by Magmaster12; February 17, 2013 at 07:32:28 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:20:29 PM
Charizard

I do agree that Nick is definitely past their prime times, and that their present-time cartoons don't match up with the older ones they used to have. Cartoon Network is better off than them, with shows like Adventure Time.

Who knows, maybe it's me having a grudge against the newer stuff because the nostalgia is too strong, but I can't say for certain. >.>
Old March 18, 2013, 07:55:30 PM
Kyurem

At least nicktoons add classic yugioh, it beats having to watch yugioh on the web or every saterday at 11am. Also i miss watching catdog, real monsters, and ren and stimpy.