Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 18, 2012, 06:30:30 PM
Volcarona

Default So I did an OS Re-Installation

My lappy has taken so much abuse that it's not even funny. In only 2 1/2 years and it was falling apart before my eyes since I had to learn on my own through trial and error how to properly take care of it. Well enough was enough today of that 8 minute long boot-up time so I figured out how to do an OS re-installation of my Windows 7 (Thank-you Fuzzles for helping me a little bit with this), and just wow... it only takes about 30 seconds to fully load up everything now! It ended up being a quick and efficient way of cleaning out mass amounts of files I no longer needed but still remained hidden in a labyrinth of folders such as uninstallers and such for that matter to. I'm curious if anyone else here has anything further to comment about the usefulness and amazingness of a simple OS Re-installation.

Moral of the story though: I suggest you always defrag your lappy after installing programs of a rather large proportion, fix/clean your registry (mine used to BSOD if it became corrupt), and clean out your downloads folder (in Windows 7) as it tends to duplicate files. These were things that gave me the most crud honestly.
Old June 18, 2012, 06:33:52 PM
Haxorus

Well that's great LD! I might have to try that out on my lappy cause it says about every 30 seconds (Not Responding) and it get's really annoying... =w=;;; So thanks for posting this Problem/Solution...er...thingy.
Old June 18, 2012, 06:34:49 PM
Kyurem

This thing is well overdue for a reinstall. It's only less than two years old, but I'm on an install that was supposed to be temporary, so everything's hastily put together and I've used it so much afterwards that it's too much effort to change anything. If anything, I at least need to defrag soon.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:01:59 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu62 View Post
Well that's great LD! I might have to try that out on my lappy cause it says about every 30 seconds (Not Responding) and it get's really annoying... =w=;;; So thanks for posting this Problem/Solution...er...thingy.
Yeah that's not good to hear, mine's was having similar issues as well... which was seriously hard to work with. Just remember to make sure you know what you're doing first and to backup all the files that you wish to keep since everything gets removed permanently after the OS Re-Install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
This thing is well overdue for a reinstall. It's only less than two years old, but I'm on an install that was supposed to be temporary, so everything's hastily put together and I've used it so much afterwards that it's too much effort to change anything. If anything, I at least need to defrag soon.
I defrag mine at least once a week and/or after I install a rather large program of any sort actually. That was one thing I did wrong with my lappy was never defragging it which really takes a tole on the computer's health I have found. x.x
Old June 19, 2012, 05:46:35 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Yeah that's not good to hear, mine's was having similar issues as well... which was seriously hard to work with. Just remember to make sure you know what you're doing first and to backup all the files that you wish to keep since everything gets removed permanently after the OS Re-Install.
Okey doki loki~!