Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 7, 2012, 09:46:30 PM
Giratina

Default Your opinion on the Nintendo DS/3DS Shoulder Buttons

I'm sure you all know of them. Glitchy, unresponsive, and sometimes easily broken, yet still a very important and useful thing to have in games. So, what's your opinion on the quality of their L and R buttons? To me, they could be tuned up a bit more. While for my DS Lite, they can be easily fixed with a little air or water, my 3DS has a slightly working L button and a completely broken R button. I wish they could fix that up, and fast.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:47:47 PM
Administrator

My first original DS had a small problem with R. My DS Lite lost both of them almost immediately and has been fixed twice, with them both dying again right afterwards. My second original DS hasn't had any problems, but I did snap the hinge by accident. My 3DS hasn't had any problems yet.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:47:51 PM
Giratina

The R button on my DS almost never works, but the L button works always. So far, my 3DS shoulder buttons aren't experiencing any issues.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:51:21 PM

Both L and R buttons on my original DS are completely unusable, and I'm not sure why. The shoulder buttons on my DSi and 3DS function just fine, but I feel like they're going to break easily if I use them too much or if I press to hard...
Old July 8, 2012, 04:53:43 AM
Shaymin

I'm not entirely sure if I'm not doing something right, or if I'm just very careful. But I have no problems with my shoulder problems. The most I've had was it was sticky, but that was only because I spilled cola on it.
Old July 8, 2012, 05:07:30 AM
Kyurem

My DS Lite and DSi had busted shoulder buttons.

I hope the 3DS buttons don't wear out on me within 2 years.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:04:05 AM
Kyurem

The best way to really describe them would probably be flimsy. But after my original DS's R button started to go, I started taking care of them on my DSi and 3DS.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:00:14 AM
Regigigas

I feel proud to say that I've never had any issues with my shoulder buttons. Sometimes when the game pisses me off I'd mash the L and R buttons in anger, but they've still never broken.
Old July 8, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
My DS Lite and DSi had busted shoulder buttons.

I hope the 3DS buttons don't wear out on me within 2 years.
Well as long as you aren't button jamming like the guys who play Street Fighter on a Sega Genesis (I'd love to play it if I was better at fighters) then those DS buttons should last for ages. So far I haven't had any issues myself and I find those shoulder buttons handy for scrolling through PC Boxes in Pokémon... When I don't use the touch screen of course.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; July 8, 2012 at 01:52:00 PM.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:22:51 PM
Zoroark

My first DS Lite had little problems with shoulder buttons, the touch screen broke though. My DS Lite now has (for the most part) an unusable L button, while the R button is fine. My 3DS has no problems thus far, and I hope it stays that way for the rest of it's battery life. Only 2 hours remain....
Old July 8, 2012, 06:26:11 PM
Haxorus

My DSi's shoulders are fine, but, sadly, my 3DS has a broken L button ;_;...
Old July 9, 2012, 01:29:20 AM
Mudkip

I've never had any problems with them.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:49:36 AM
Keldeo

..My 'L' button's broken. But I don't really care. Seems like the 'L' button is the one that's easier to break. I really do wonder why.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
Giratina

Strangely, it's just the DS Lite and 3DS I've had problems with. Never any problems with my original DS, my PSP, and none of my controllers for my home consoles. My phone's L and R buttons work perfectly, too.

Last edited by TurtwigX; July 9, 2012 at 09:55:07 AM.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:19:13 AM
Volcarona

I lost a DS Lite all because my L shoulder button broke for some reason or another, it came off the hinges or something and would not longer connect to the inner mechanics to make the button do an action. I am now with my current DS that I have, however, the L button is once again starting to become a bit iffy. There is no fix for it as far as I'm aware of, or at least for someone who does not want to take their DS apart. So if it breaks, I'll be stuck without a DS as I've had far too many replacements in my lifetime (around 6). I do admit, I wish more games would utilize them more though in particular the Pokemon games... they just kinda sit there and only work in the PC-Storage boxes and that's about it, pretty useless.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:34:15 AM
Volcarona

Since I don't use my Nintendo 3DS a lot, I can't tell if the shoulder buttons have been improved on since the Nintendo DS Lite and the Nintendo DSi. What I do know is, the shoulder buttons on my Nintendo DS Lite are still working. The only thing is that the "L" Button sometimes doesn't work, and I have to press it back into place a few times before it'll work efficiently. Other than that, the shoulder buttons on my DS Lite are quite-well built.
Old July 9, 2012, 12:12:45 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
I lost a DS Lite all because my L shoulder button broke for some reason or another, it came off the hinges or something and would not longer connect to the inner mechanics to make the button do an action. I am now with my current DS that I have, however, the L button is once again starting to become a bit iffy. There is no fix for it as far as I'm aware of, or at least for someone who does not want to take their DS apart. So if it breaks, I'll be stuck without a DS as I've had far too many replacements in my lifetime (around 6). I do admit, I wish more games would utilize them more though in particular the Pokemon games... they just kinda sit there and only work in the PC-Storage boxes and that's about it, pretty useless.
Well, in every Pokémon game before 5th Gen, L could be used as the A button. It's best in HeartGold and SoulSilver, you could use the left hand exclusively for movement and the right hand exclusively for any other operations. In Mystery Dungeon it was also pretty useful, which is why I'm really upset when they break.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:16:04 PM
Charizard

Metriod Prime Hunters obliterated my L and R buttons on by DSi. I wish they'd make them more reliable and less prone to breaking. What is it that's so fragile about them, anyway?
Old July 9, 2012, 08:34:31 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Well, in every Pokémon game before 5th Gen, L could be used as the A button. It's best in HeartGold and SoulSilver, you could use the left hand exclusively for movement and the right hand exclusively for any other operations. In Mystery Dungeon it was also pretty useful, which is why I'm really upset when they break.
Oh yes I nearly forgot about those functions honestly. Though in Black & White I can't think of too many useful functions for it sadly. xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
Metriod Prime Hunters obliterated my L and R buttons on by DSi. I wish they'd make them more reliable and less prone to breaking. What is it that's so fragile about them, anyway?
This. This was one game I was unable to play when my DS' L button broke, it was very frustrating since I had just gotten the game at that point. Now I'm not a fan of games that use the button exclusively for a function SO important and vital to the gameplay.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:23:35 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Oh yes I nearly forgot about those functions honestly. Though in Black & White I can't think of too many useful functions for it sadly. xP
Oh...Black and White... the shoulder buttons serve 100% no purpose, actually. And that's why I can play it on my 3DS XD