Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 22, 2012, 01:25:23 PM
Regigigas

Default 35 and not changing?

Although not confirmed, it's been rumored that the next Super Smash Brothers (which is also speculated to be called SSB Universe, but that's for another thread) will be featuring no new characters. Don't think that this is hard certain news, but since the possibility has been addressed, let's take a moment to hypothetically assume as such-- Would you like this change, or lack thereof? Is this something that bothers you? Does it matter to you either way?

For me, it goes a bit of both ways. To be honest, I was kinda hoping to see a new lineup of characters, and I did have some ideas of who I would want to see in it as well: I do grow bored of things staying the same, and I'm almost always a fan of changing things up. That being said, maybe at this point with a Super Smash Brothers metagame that is, while not quite as big as 4 years ago, is still relatively competitive, perhaps keeping character identities and mechanics is healthy for the metagame itself. I myself have Marth as a main, and I would like to count on his being the same, having the same strengths and weaknesses, and in the end being a dependable higher-end character that wouldn't be illegal to play as in tournaments in 98654yt89w79238woiuy783 different countries.

That's how I feel about this. Again, not fact, but what if...?
idunnoiwannahearhowyoufeelaboutdisyknowatimsayinga pofoiahjalihgailugargf

Last edited by SyracuvatTenlii; July 22, 2012 at 01:25:43 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 01:47:53 PM
Shaymin

I'm on the same boat. Sure we may not be getting many characters we love and enjoy. But to be honest, I'm okay with the decision on not adding anymore. I guess it's because most of the characters I hold a place for are in the game. And if they add more characters, well I won't hate it. As long as the characters I like remain. And if they do decide to have 3rd party characters again, well I just hope it doesn't get outrageous and just pick any 3rd party character they can.

Last edited by Fubab_107; July 22, 2012 at 01:48:28 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
Landorus

For me, I'd like to see more characters. I like to be given lots of options as to which play style I can use. The more characters there are, the more I stay interested. If their decision is to not add any more characters, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.
If there's something nintendo needs, it's something fresh and new.
Old July 22, 2012, 02:45:59 PM
Rayquaza

If they put in to many characters at once it would become way to convoluted.

However there is still a chance of some characters getting replaced.
Old July 22, 2012, 02:47:41 PM
Haxorus

I have a theory.

I think that way too many people on Youtube are making "Top 5-10 Characters I Want to See in SSB4" videos, and I don't watch them because I'm just getting a slideshow instead of an actual video telling us what characters they want to see, and explaining why. And I'm sure that, as of this post, another person just uploaded yet another one for the sake of uploading one of those videos.

I think that most SSB fans only buy the games not only if their favorite characters are there, but also if there are more characters than in the previous game. SSB has 12 characters, Melee has 25, and Brawl has 35. This means that at least one more character has to be added to the roster or else they won't buy it. Even worse if they take characters out of the roster and forget to replace them.

If this information about no characters being added to the roster is confirmed true (and I don't think it will be), SSB4 could be the worst game in this franchise, and also the lowest-selling...but I can't give it a low score based on my judging of the roster. But, who knows? They've added about 10 characters per game, so the roster should be around 45 characters here.

And if they wanted to, HAL could add the characters from Melee that weren't in Brawl as Free DLC...there's an idea.

This is what I think of this situation...but honestly, I don't care that much and I could care less.

Last edited by GTP_NickSkyline; July 22, 2012 at 02:50:04 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:07:39 PM
Administrator

Anyone who is big into fighters can tell you one important fact: more characters sell. Even poorly-made games will sell just because of favorite characters. If SSB4/SSBU doesn't add new characters, Nintendo and those working on it are going to miss a huge opportunity for a lot of money.

Or, y'know, DLC. ($$$)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 22, 2012 at 03:09:00 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 04:57:55 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP_NickSkyline View Post
And if they wanted to, HAL could add the characters from Melee that weren't in Brawl as Free DLC...there's an idea.
A lot of the characters they cut from Melee, like Dr. Mario and Pichu, were clones.

Do you really want clones in SSB4?
Old July 22, 2012, 06:28:56 PM
Giratina

I hate to be rude and unloving to my main man Nintendo, but no new characters means no new interests for Turty. No new interest means no spent cash.
The one thing I look for in a Smash Bros. are changes. Characters, stages, items, trophies, all of that. Brawl brought the most changes by being near impossible to 100% with all the content packed in to it. And an astounding cast of faces to smash as. With Melee being my first, each Smash Bros. game brings me closer to each individual series that they come from. I first learned of Kirby, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Island, The Legend of Zelda... let me just stop here, I'm pathetic. But anyway, the new people expand in to different games allowing for different fighting styles and an overall grand old time. Having the same characters would just kill that. The main question: "If you can play as the same people, WHY WOULD YOU BUY THE NEW GAME?" Just keep playing Brawl! It's not like anything will be severely different! Sure, stages and items change, but if you're one of those No items, flat stages people, it all boils down to the unchanged characters. Oh, so they changed the physics up again? I could just play Brawl Minus if I wanted to see the same cast represented in a different way, or some other Brawl hack. Why pay for a rehash? Now, I would definitely love to see characters come back, but most of all, I want to see more Mother Wario Ware Kid Icarus characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
A lot of the characters they cut from Melee, like Dr. Mario and Pichu, were clones.

Dr. Mario was the only clone ranked above the original for being a simply better character. And Roy was removed for being both fast and powerful, and his almost-exact replacement is Ike. They took the power route and ditched speed entirely.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post

I'd personally rather play as Pikachu over Pichu...the latter is pretty much the same as the former, except he takes damage from his own electrical attacks because he's just a baby. He's just learning to get them under control so he doesn't hurt himself with them later on. So, Pichu's not exactly a clone because of the drawbacks and handicaps he carries compared to other characters.

But if people want to download a free character pack, it shouldn't hurt to try Pichu out for 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Anyone who is big into fighters can tell you one important fact: more characters sell. Even poorly-made games will sell just because of favorite characters. If SSB4/SSBU doesn't add new characters, Nintendo and those working on it are going to miss a huge opportunity for a lot of money.

Or, y'know, DLC. ($$$)
I guess that's part of why Netherrealm's reboot of Mortal Kombat is doing so well in stores; the roster is filled with fan-favorite characters and a few obscure ones as well. That, and everything in it has me ready to buy it...and I'm not into fighting games. But this isn't a MK thread, although both that and SSBU are in the same genre.

The only thing I expect not to happen with SSBU is HAL pulling a Street Fighter X Tekken, giving us about 35 characters out of the gate and then locking 10 more, and the only way we can play as them is to buy them.

Last edited by GTP_NickSkyline; July 22, 2012 at 08:45:35 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:20:49 PM
Giratina

I can tell you were this rumor came from - there was a whiteboard drawing of some Smash characters as a teaser for Smash 4. I'm almost certain some people saw it and jumped to the conclusion that is "OMG NO NEW CHARACTERS!!1!!one!"

*ahem* Nintendo will almost definitely be adding characters to Smash 4. If not adding more than 35, they will replace some characters to keep the number at 35, but with different characters to say they "added" new characters. If they don't add (or even replace) any characters, they might as well call Smash 4 "Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Map Pack" and try to sell it off as a completely different game.

I remember seeing an article about how some people will be listing characters for fans to vote on to be in Smash 4. They would list the characters, fans would vote on them, the finalists would be sent to Nintendo to put in Smash 4 (they also mention in the article the Japanese were always the only ones to get a say in what characters should be in the Smash games which explains why Lucas is in Brawl). This article tells me Nintendo will probably be adding new characters. I will guess at least 10 new characters (45 minimum) to at most 25 new characters (an astounding 60 characters).

EDIT: Also, Syra. Do you mind adding where you found out this information?

Last edited by Quadcentruo; July 22, 2012 at 08:31:51 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:02:17 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo
Syra. Do you mind adding where you found out this information?
That whiteboard video that you brought up, that's where I heard about this rumor. Your theory could be correct, but I simply brought this point up just in case this rumor is true. I don't believe that it is or isn't, but I'd just like to address the possibility, regardless of how likely or unlikely it may seem.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:39:53 PM
Giratina

If I remember correctly, that picture was just a teaser drawing to show that they are working on it, but it wasn't really about anything related to the game itself.
And because Namco Bandai is working on it, I want Pac-Man to be a top tier 3rd party character. Even better than Meta-Knight's S tier. It needs to happen, so there need to be more characters. Since the Wii U is so advanced, maybe we can get more than 35. (Nah, they're probably capped out.) And the 3DS version... will hopefully have the best characters.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:42:48 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuvatTenlii View Post
That whiteboard video
Sakurai tweeted a photo of a whiteboard image containing smash bros characters, and while it seems to have disappeared/run out of bandwidth, here's the image you are most likely referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smash-Bros.-Whiteboard-Art.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3339  
Old August 20, 2012, 05:51:05 PM
Administrator

We've got some official confirmation that there will be new characters!
http://www.primagames.com/games/supe...will-be-gettin
Old August 20, 2012, 05:56:24 PM

With new characters coming to the next SSB game, I have high hopes of Isaac becoming a playable character as well as maybe a new Sonic character or Geno. ^^
I am totally not a Golden Sun fan =w=

Last edited by Reuniclus; August 20, 2012 at 05:57:20 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:35:02 PM
Regigigas

Well, that's a pleasant and surprising turn of events, but seeing as the original concern is no longer relevant, I think that makes short work of this thread.