Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 8, 2013, 11:25:11 AM
Keldeo

Default Sheild Project (Nvidia)

Seems that Nvida will be producing a gaming system all it's own.

At first look it seems to be pretty chucky and a Xbox controller that has a screen attached to it.

Specifications:
-Runs Andriod Jelly Bean
-Steam compatibale (Nvidia worked with Valve)
-Compatibality to stream games from you PC to play on it (need the right graphics card)
-run adriod market
-Tegra 4 Proccesor
-38 hour battery life
-Micro USB slot
-Micro SD card slot
-head phone jack
-ability to output HD game play and video

Screen
-HD 1280*720 pixels
-Multi-touch
-5-inch Screen

"Nvidia also pushed Nvidia Grid, a GPU that is specifically made for cloud computing and cloud gaming all across various PCs and smartphones, which was announced back in May of 2012. The card can push out about 240 Nvidia GPUs' worth of power, which is equivalent to about 700 Xbox 360s, according to Nvidia officials at the press conference. Currently, Nvidia's partners in conjunction with the card are Agawi, Cyber Cloud, Cloudunion, G-cluster, Ubitus and Playcast."

Source:http://uk.gamespot.com/news/nvidia-a...onsole-6402052

Talk of the Shield
http://uk.gamespot.com/project-shiel...eport-6402093/

System
http://shield.nvidia.com/
Old January 8, 2013, 02:03:54 PM
Giratina

Supposedly, this is going to be competing against Sony and Nintendo for the Handheld market.
With the ability to connect to Steam and play games via Steam, I'd say it will be pretty popular with Steam gamers, which is a very, very, large market.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:27:04 PM
Shaymin

Personally, as of now. I don't see myself getting into this. It just reminds me that when I'm away from my computer, I'm usually occupied with something else, hence why I barely play on the mobile market as is. Where as when I'm home, I prefer to be one my computer rather than on my couch playing on a smaller screen.

I'm keeping an open mind on this though, being a PC Gamer, (Though probably not really compared to others). I will like to see what it will be capable of looking like when it actually plays games, but until then. I remain on the fence.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:07:01 PM
Keldeo

I agree it will be intresting to see on how well the niche market it hits works out and not to metion how much it wil cost once it gets the final tweeks down on the sytem. I'm simply amazed how things are still getting smaller and faster, making streaming from your computer even possible. Though I do agree I prefer my computer but I am a mobile and console gamer so see what happens.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:15:23 PM
Administrator

It looks like it will be quite expensive, and it'll be quite difficult to penetrate in a market ruled by Nintendo. (Note that I'm counting the casual touch gaming as a different category.) If anything, it will get along with the 3DS, just like casual touch games do on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:23:57 PM
Keldeo

Yeah I'm guessing pricewise they probably shouldn't have to go over 300 dollars as that would keep it around the price of other handhelds. It's coming into a market that hasn't been hit yet, which is really the only reason they may have some lee-way on how much it will cost but they do need to keep in mind that people have other options and what it offers might not be as good as the other. For example the 3DS its more portable and will fit in your pocket, I don't see that happening when the controller has a 5" screen means its gonna be about 6", getting on the edge of not being portable.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:26:56 PM
Administrator

It reminds me a lot of the portable PlayStation One (not the PlayStation Portable ).

Also, this is not a Steam box. It can stream video and interact with a desktop with an NVidia GTX card, but it cannot actually play Steam games on the unit by itself.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 8, 2013 at 06:37:02 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:45:09 PM
Keldeo

Oh wow that does look very similiar and probably should have made sure to point that out, since the steam box is something in and of itself.

Wonder if that is where the idea started, at least the concept of it.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:51:33 PM
Administrator

I have no doubt it at least provided inspiration. Don't forget that iControlPad 2 and the idea behind that.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:26:18 PM
Keldeo

True considering that's a project I backed and am waiting for them to finally get the units done and shipped out.