Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 17, 2010, 09:58:18 AM
Shaymin

Default 3DS Motion Sensing - How to be used in Pokémon games

Since there has recently been a rumor going out which I believe, due to the time with 5th Gen revealed and the DSiXL almost out in every region, anyways, said rumor says that the DS2 development kits have been sent to 2nd Party developers to test them out for their games(The Pokémon Company was the one they said had it).

The rumor also states that the new handheld will have motion sensing capabilities built-in. So...this makes me wonder. How do you think that motion sensing capabilites could be used in a Pokémon game? I think it might stick to bare basics since the DS' touch screen is only used minimally in D/P/Pt./HG/SS. I would probably bet some spinning of a voltorb minigame in the game corner, or some special itemfinder or other kind of item which would use it's capabilites.
Old February 17, 2010, 12:18:35 PM
Pikachu

What if they don't stick with the basics and you can tilt the DS to dodge attacks or something.
If the rumors are true the 5th generation can change Pokemon games a lot.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:25:58 PM
Rayquaza

The more you shake it the more likely you are to catch it.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:50:24 PM
Regigigas

The thing I most dislike about gimmicks like this, which is most directly akin to the Sixaxis controller, is that these types of control mechanisms just get relegated to the most useless functions, like minigames and itemfinder and such. At least HG/SS is promising to use the touch screen productively. The last thing I want is for the DS to become one of those motion-controlled iPods.
Old February 17, 2010, 02:50:33 PM
Volcarona

I agree with GreenLiquid, though I think that a small control function (besides mini-games, talking about actual storyline play) would be interesting. Don't know what it might be that it could do though...
Old February 17, 2010, 03:01:27 PM
Rayquaza

I third that notion.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:18:19 PM
Shaymin

You know how the DS's mic powered Chatot's Chatter? Maybe the DS2's motion sensitivity could power Ground-type moves? The more you shake it/the more motion, the higher chance of a better Magnitude. Or something.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:41:00 PM
Volcarona

As great as powering attacks with motion sound, I'd really not like having to shake my game every time I attack, or really do any of it.

As far as the coolest functions being limited to minigames, I find this to be exceeding true, yet not a bad thing. It would be nice if it weren't so, but if you put too much if it in any one game, then the game becomes the function, and so gets annoying after a while. Take kirby canvas curse as an example.
Old February 26, 2010, 12:35:12 AM
Giratina

To be honest, I wouldn't want to shake my console every time I inflict an attack on another Pokémon. It would become boring and redundant after sometime.
I say, they should add motion-sensing to the games adequately without overusing it. I still don't exactly know how motion-sensing would work with Pokémon games, but I'm not pessimistic about it either.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:26:32 PM
Zoroark

I hated most is that Nintendo keep making new consoles such as DS Lite and DSi, forcing you to buy new ones.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMan++ View Post
I hated most is that Nintendo keep making new consoles such as DS Lite and DSi, forcing you to buy new ones.
Really? Nintendo put a ban on you leaving your house forcing you to buy a system?
Old February 26, 2010, 09:09:46 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Really? Nintendo put a ban on you leaving your house forcing you to buy a system?
Yoshi, you deserve one of the following:

A. A hug
B. A truthful cake
C. A cookie
D. All of the above

In relation to what Space said, can we please keep crap about how you guys don't want a new handheld console? Or can you at least read my post in the DS2 topic in Gaming? Before you make remarks such as the above? It's a pet peeve of mine, and I'm not going to go insane trying to enforce it, but I've seen quite a bit of it on this forum.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:10:37 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Yoshi, you deserve one of the following:

A. A hug
B. A truthful cake
C. A cookie
D. All of the above

In relation to what Space said, can we please keep crap about how you guys don't want a new handheld console? Or can you at least read my post in the DS2 topic in Gaming? Before you make remarks such as the above? It's a pet peeve of mine, and I'm not going to go insane trying to enforce it, but I've seen quite a bit of it on this forum.
I know, I hate that too.
I've had a DS Phat since Xmas '05.
They haven't forced me to buy a new system each time, obviously. :3
Old February 27, 2010, 12:08:14 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I know, I hate that too.
I've had a DS Phat since Xmas '05.
They haven't forced me to buy a new system each time, obviously. :3
Indeed, I was using a DS Phat until a few months ago, because the battery was wearing out a bit and wouldn't last as long, so I bought a DS Lite.

I don't know all the nitty gritty details about the DSs, but I'm only going to get a new handhelp system when games can only be played on that system, and is considered the next Generation (much like how I didn't get a Gameboy Advance SP, rather I waited for the DS)

BACK ON TOPIC THOUGH, I don't want the whole system of battling to be infested with annoying gimmicks, because that would get okd quickly and I'd look like an idiot shaking my DS. Rather, it should be sprinkled into certain places that wouldn't be used all the time.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:47:10 PM
Servine

yeah shaking the ds would increase the likely hood of droping it or throwing it maybe it would use motion sensors for throwing poke balls.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
Shaymin

Keep in mind, that if a portable handheld was to incorporate motion control, then it would have to be designed to counter things such as tossing it across a room. Nintendo put a wrist strap on the Wii Remote, didn't they? The only reason they made a Wii Remote Jacket was because idiots didn't wear the strap and decided throwing it into their TV's was a good idea.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:15:15 PM
Rayquaza

Well I think they Gameboy game with something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Tilt_%27n%27_Tumble

But the motion sensors were in the cartridge.

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 1, 2010 at 03:16:20 PM.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:09:30 PM
Shaymin

I hope the motion controls don't affect the game.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:38:38 PM
Volcarona

I doubt they'd make the motion controls a central part of the gameplay because that would probably ruin it. I'd like to see it implemented in a creative way, but I don't have any idea as to what that way would be. As has been said, it'll probably end up in some unimportant section of the game, like a minigame, which is fine by me as long as the game's good.
As Lite said, they'd have to have a measure to keep people from throwing the thing across the room if they were to put full-blown motion controls in a handheld. Just a tilt sensor's a different story, though.

Last edited by piexing; March 13, 2010 at 08:56:53 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:52:48 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
The more you shake it the more likely you are to catch it.
All while pressing Down + A, or Down + B of course. ;D
Old March 23, 2010, 03:14:49 PM
Shaymin

Okay, so either the DS2 (Now known as the 3DS) scrapped motion control, or it kept motion control and is using 3-D graphics. Topic change! How will Pokemon games be displayed now?
Old March 23, 2010, 03:26:31 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Okay, so either the DS2 (Now known as the 3DS) scrapped motion control, or it kept motion control and is using 3-D graphics. Topic change! How will Pokemon games be displayed now?
I really can't tell now HOW games in general will be displayed. If Nintendo is just using the same technology as that find-this DSiWare game, then I doubt it could be used in Pokémon games unless it were to be for minigames or something.

Hopefully the next handheld will have more power as well as 3D features so that games that dont want to support pseudo-3D don't and can just have N64.5 or higher graphics.
Old March 24, 2010, 12:41:38 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I really can't tell now HOW games in general will be displayed. If Nintendo is just using the same technology as that find-this DSiWare game, then I doubt it could be used in Pokémon games unless it were to be for minigames or something.
I disagree with this:
I don't think Nintendo will use the same technology used in that DSiWare game because it doesn't quite portray 3D graphics. But, I'm 100% sure all the game will be in 3D, not just minigames or the likes.

By the way, I'm quite optimistic about how things will work out with the 3DS. The only thing I wish is that it shows significant improvement over the current DS systems besides the 3D graphics.

Last edited by Shadow; March 24, 2010 at 12:43:15 AM.
Old March 24, 2010, 10:59:51 AM
Kyurem

I just hope that shaking the DS doesn't become a core point in games, especially competitive ones. It could work for specific games that use it, but I wouldn't want detailed formulas in Pokemon games to be altered, for instance.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:33:56 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The only thing I wish is that it shows significant improvement over the current DS systems besides the 3D graphics.
Well, it's a successor to the DS line, so for all we know, it may not even have two screens to manipulate. That would seriously mess up your eyes, looking at two screens of full 3D. Basically, what I'm trying to say is... I agree, it's gotta be some sort of complete overhaul (although I don't mind rehashes.)

Here's what I think.

-The motion control may or may not be still implemented in the final console. If it is, it probably will only be used as a tilt sensor of sorts. If not a tilt sensor but a full on motion device, then it could be used for minigames or other implements ingame where the console picks up motion and vibrations to activate commands.

-The 3D graphics should definitely implement a full 3D enviroment, not entirely like Colosseum/XD, but something that resembles it as such. Battles fully rendered in three dimensions would also look spectacular.

Old March 25, 2010, 06:10:12 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Well, it's a successor to the DS line, so for all we know, it may not even have two screens to manipulate. That would seriously mess up your eyes, looking at two screens of full 3D. Basically, what I'm trying to say is... I agree, it's gotta be some sort of complete overhaul (although I don't mind rehashes.)

Here's what I think.

-The motion control may or may not be still implemented in the final console.

-The 3D graphics should definitely implement a full 3D enviroment, not entirely like Colosseum/XD, but something that resembles it as such. Battles fully rendered in three dimensions would also look spectacular.
I think checking out this article might clarify some of your doubts. Here are the highlights:

Quote:
According to Nintendo, the product will go on sale between April 2010 and March 2011.

The Nintendo 3DS will succeeded the Nintendo DS series and will have backward compatibility for Nintendo DS and DSi games. It is important to stress that the Nintendo 3DS is a new hardware series.
Does that mean it's technically taken as a DS successor, but as a new hardware series in reality? I'm a bit confused on that.

Quote:
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata gave an interview...in which he apparently said the Nintendo DS successor will have "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing".
I think this means it will have motion-sensing.

Quote:
At a Nintendo quarterly Q&A, the exec addressed the issue with the Asahi Shimbun, asserting that the reporter stated, "The graphics for the next DS will be highly detailed and it will contain a motion sensor, right?" Iwata claims he then replied, "Those things are naturally being required. But do you think it would sell with just that?"
I'm hoping this means it will have a good amount of other features besides 3D-graphics and motion-sensing?

Last edited by Shadow; March 25, 2010 at 06:11:55 AM.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:03:08 PM
Giratina

Maybe you'd get a First-Person view on the bottom screen, and you can use that while you walk around to find things? The top screen would remain the same though.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:22:43 PM
Rayquaza

Odds are they'll have the motion sensoring in maybe a new version of the pokethon, (hopefully it'll use the microphone also) wi-fi club, and maybe even a gym puzzle.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:24:07 PM
Giratina

Quote:
How will Pokemon games be displayed now?
In 3D.
Old March 25, 2010, 02:52:32 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Does that mean it's technically taken as a DS successor, but as a new hardware series in reality? I'm a bit confused on that.

Yeah, it succeeds the DS line by implementing new hardware. If it's backwards compatible though, then that must mean it still resembles the DS line somewhat. So it may be confused as a new DS model.

I'm hoping this means it will have a good amount of other features besides 3D-graphics and motion-sensing?

YES.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:04:14 PM
Cyndaquil

I cant wait to see Zorua in 3d!! Really this thing looks awsome!
Old April 6, 2010, 05:35:01 AM
Linoone

YOU COULD ALWAYS THROW YOUR DS TO SIMULATE A POKEBALL---oh wait...it broke.