Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 15, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
Giratina

Default GameInformer Previews B/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameInformer
Pokémon Black/White
The original monster collecting franchise evolves

After more than 10 years since the original Pokémon titles first hit Japan, the franchise has shown no sign on slowing down. Game Freak's remakes of Gold and Silver were evidence that the classic collecting mechanic and rock-paper-scissors style battle system hadn't lost their luster. Still, Pokémaniacs have anxiously waited for the franchise to take steps in a fresh direction. With the upcoming releases of Pokémon Black and White versions, these loyal fans won't have to wait much longer.

Pokémon Black and White versions immediately show off the fifth generation's new direction with an animated cutscene. And uncharacteristically dark scene reveals a crowning ceremony for a mysterious young man with no supporting details as to who he is and the role he'll play. The scene then jumps to a more upbeat scenario with the signature Pokémon theme song as the words "Hope," "Dream," and "Discovery" flash on the screen, all while expansive new environments of the Isshu region and images of a ton of new Pokémon just waiting to be captured are revealed.

With a quick introduction by Pokémon expert Dr. Araragi, you're free to explore the bustling new world. While we know little about the plot at this point, you're still responsible for collecting badges and battling stray trainers, including confrontations with troubling Team Plasma. After a few hours of exploring the Isshu region, you'll notice more densely populated towns, tall housing structures spanning multiple floors, and the Pokémon Center and the Poké Mart combined into a one-stop shop. Environments are colorful and detailed, with each area featuring it's own catchy soundtrack. Camera angles dynamically change while traveling, giving the three-dimensional space a sense of large scale. You'll have plenty of land to cover when seeking the 156 new Pokémon that appear in Black and White.

Players select among three new starter Pokémon: Tsujaara (grass-type), Mijimaru (water-type), and Pokabu (fire-type), and begin traversing from one grass patch to the next to engage monsters in combat. The batte system has received a graphical overhaul, as creatures are far more detailed and better animated than the old pixelated sprites. Camera angles shift to give a greater sense of action and battle music intensifies when your Pokémon are low on health. Up to three Pokémon are able to participate in some battle scenarios, introducing an element of party-based combat. Even though the battle mechanics remain similar to one-on-one, figuring out which half of your six Pokémon to call upon while being mindful of elemental strengths and weaknesses shakes things up.

Pokémon Black and White has already been greeted with success in Japan, becoming the fastest-selling DS games of all time. We will just have to wait a bit longer, as Game Freak's latest entries launch next spring in North America.
So, what do you guys think? I myself don't know much about the games yet (and I don't want to, either.. no spoilers ) so this was a good Preview. There are also some interesting images included in the page in the magazine. This makes me more excited for this spring. I know it will entertain me for months.
Old November 15, 2010, 03:02:15 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
So, what do you guys think? I myself don't know much about the games yet (and I don't want to, either.. no spoilers ) so this was a good Preview. There are also some interesting images included in the page in the magazine. This makes me more excited for this spring. I know it will entertain me for months.
Oh my friend you wont be disappointed! I like how GI went about this preview,adding alot of hype is the best way to get people started!
Old November 15, 2010, 03:04:46 PM
Volcarona

That's the kind of review I look for--as few spoilers as possible. It seems like just yesterday it was August, so spring should be here in no time. I'm looking forward to an adventure in a new land.
Old November 15, 2010, 03:41:16 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'bom View Post
That's the kind of review I look for--as few spoilers as possible. It seems like just yesterday it was August, so spring should be here in no time. I'm looking forward to an adventure in a new land.
Hehe, yeah. GI always does a good job holding back which is why it's the best overall gaming magazine out there. I read an issue for weeks and get excited whenever there is one in the mail, just like there was today.
Old November 15, 2010, 04:32:29 PM
Haxorus

The one thing I always look foward to is seeing all the new Pokemon. Now that they're all out, the next thing I want are the English names for all the Pokemon. I need names I can pronounce.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:26:57 PM
Giratina

Yeah, I'm grateful that this article doesn't reveal any spoilers about the plot, as I don't want to ruin the experience for my self. Anyways, thanks for sharing this, SK; reviews like these only make me much more excited to lay my hands on the games when they are released in America!

Last edited by Shadow; November 15, 2010 at 09:27:39 PM.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:32:57 AM
Rayquaza

I don't know much about the games, but I know they will be awesome. I can feel that. I am really excited about what I will be facing. Time is travelling fast to be honest, and with all the schoolwork, I know that I will be seeing White in my hands in no time.
Old November 16, 2010, 12:07:56 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Yeah, I'm grateful that this article doesn't reveal any spoilers about the plot, as I don't want to ruin the experience for my self. Anyways, thanks for sharing this, SK; reviews like these only make me much more excited to lay my hands on the games when they are released in America!
Ah, thanks. I actually had to type it up myself since this is a brand new issue and the Preview isn't on their website yet Thought I'd get it to you guys ASAP

When they get the Review this Spring I will post the score that they give it and why. Should be an interesting thing to read.

Last edited by SK; November 16, 2010 at 12:08:04 PM.
Old November 30, 2010, 12:27:30 PM
Zoroark

I cant wait until it comes out in English. This preview is getting me really excited!
Old November 30, 2010, 12:45:30 PM
Celebi

Cool! I can't wait until they relese more info on the English Pokemon B&W games!