Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 25, 2011, 07:16:02 PM
Volcarona

Default Two different IP Addresses reported

Rain Meter says my IP Address is 69.243.255.231. That isn't right. The ipconfig comand reports the correct IP of 192.168.1.136 But because of the dual IPs, my internet connection is suffering. When I try to do stuff that is live (Streaming, chat, etc.) I can't. any help I can get to remove the incorrect IP removed would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP Unknown.png
Views:	357
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1921  
Old March 25, 2011, 09:30:35 PM
Volcarona

Google NAT.

Network Address Translation

this is expected behavior.

First as you should know we are out of ipv4 addresses and would have been out of them a lot longer ago if it weren't for nat but i will get to that in second. Heres what you need to know about IP networks.

1) To get information you must be uniquely identifiable on the Internet (hence everyone has a IP).
2) Some networks are reserved 10.xxx.xxx.xxx 172.16.0.xxx 192.168.xxx.xxx for LANs.
3) You must be able to retrieve as well as send if one fails the other fails.( no acceptors )
4) Those reserved address ARE NOT ROUTEABLE on the Internet.
5) Any packet (bit of data) destined for the reserved networks are dropped(ignored) by all INTERNET router.
6) N.A.T breaks the first rule.

What NATs job is allow multiple PCs in a lan to share one ip. Hence "saving" a lot of Internet address. Nat uses a bit of tricker to share the ip by dynamically assigning a return port number and rememering which pc to send it to. Now the big picture is this you pc can not talk to the Internet instead your home router talks to the internet on your behalf. Now finally getting to your issuse... you need to esentally reserver a port on you internet ip the 69.xxx.xxx.xxx address so it is always sent to your pc 192.168.xxx.xxx. This is known as port forwording. So you must find the port the application is running on. DMZ will also work but is a bad practice. (few good exception)

Port forwording is set on your routers config page your probbly is 192.168.1.1.

Last edited by KingOfKYA; March 25, 2011 at 09:51:38 PM.
Old March 25, 2011, 09:35:55 PM
Volcarona

That makes sense. Thank you for that.