Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 6, 2011, 05:53:35 PM
Kyurem

Default A Note on VRIM's Release Status

Many people complained last night about several issues with VRIM, specifically a restriction placed for about 15 minutes that prevented access to most rooms (minus the public ones). At the time the firestorm was a bit overwhealming, though it was interesting in many ways. VRIM is still in a "Release Candidate". This means that bugs which seem severe (as the one that was addressed last night was) will be fixed ASAP regardless of any resulting downtime - whether people like it or not.

Of course, while the bug was important, I was rather... "surprised" by the entire episode. Among other things, a fair share of people, including the "lead admin", went berserk (I rather wish I could have had some popcorn to eat, but I had lost my appetite at the time fixing the bug), and the shear reliance on the rooms (something which never existed before my foray in Instant Messenger programs - that is, VRIM) was, if nothing else, something of a compliment. I can't say I expected such a novel feature to be so loved.

But my own narcissism aside, it at least shows I'm doing /something/ right. VRIM2, which I hope to release publicly [either as stable or RC] in around a month (though I never tend to meet my own goals), will build on much of the progress in VRIM: among other things, it will feature an extensive API for developers wishing to create programs and custom frontends, the entire layout has been redone and is much more comparable to flash programs (yet, its not flash), users will receive notifications of new private messages or messages in any set rooms, and, for me the biggest: the software (packaged as "FreezeMessenger") will be released under GPLv3 and allowed to run on any forum or site - well, at least vBulletin and PHPBB (and without forum integration). ...Sadly I'm not convinced of its general security so it may be more the a month. We'll see.

Thanks,
FreezeWarp,
VRIM [Something] (I think Creator)
Old April 7, 2011, 11:12:14 AM
Giratina

This is what happens when you release a bugged application to people who haven't written a line of code in their life =/
Old April 7, 2011, 12:52:05 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryvcxz View Post
This is what happens when you release a bugged application to people who haven't written a line of code in their life =/
Well, the old chat /was/ worse, so... Yeah, I guess common sense is starting to fail here.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:08:38 PM
Volcarona

Not true mr lead admin Cat does program.

I did thing that was pretty funny to be honest all of a sudden general chat was extremely chaotic. Just like it did a week or so ago.

the difference he is cat could "FIX" it.

Last edited by KingOfKYA; April 18, 2011 at 12:15:27 PM.