Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 6, 2012, 07:40:37 AM
Haxorus

Default Eagles' big vidya game project.

Hello, I'm planning on starting a project involving basically a timeline of all console games. As many of you know, I gave up gaming for Lent this year, so after some thinking during this Lent season, I thought that it would be a neat idea of doing a runthrough of a god part of the games from each era/console, starting with the Atari 2600(Arcade gaming is a complete different experience, so I won't be including those) going all the way to probably the Wii console. The main purpose of this project is to give me a much better idea of how gaming has changed and what the gaming experience was like in each different era. Hopefully it will also expand on my gaming skills, too . I will give a mini review of each game that I play on this thread as this project is carried through. If you have any comments or suggestions for games on this project of mine, or if you would like to commentate on my project, please leave a post here. I'm sure some of you that have played the majority of games from more classic consoles will like to see how my comments on different games turn out.

Atari 2600
ET    
Oh, boy. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. We all saw this one coming. I even talked about this one being the first game I would play once Lent was done. I knew what I was getting myself into, and boy, I don't even know what to say after playing it. The main objective of the game is to get ET home by collecting 3 phone parts. These parts are all hidden randomly in different "holes" that are found in each room of the game. The location of the parts change every time you start up the game again. Also, you have an FBI agent that will take one of your parts away from you if you let him touch you, sending that part to yet another random hole in a random room. You also have a scientist that will pick you up and carry you to some building if you let him touch you as well. Once you find your three parts, you go to your "phone home" zone, which is picked at a random spot, and you have to search for it, and the only way of knowing where it is is that there's an icon that shows on the top of your screen when you get to it. Once you reach the zone and press the action button, a timer starts and you have to head back to your starting area and wait for your ship to arrive. Once it arrives, it picks you up, and you do it all over again. But in the middle of one playthrough, I had all three phone parts, and I was in the phone zone, and I pressed the action button, but the timer never came up, and because of that, I died. No matter where I went in the phone zone, the timer wouldn't come up, basically meaning that it was literally impossible to beat the game on that playthrough. By the way, you do all of this without any information from the game. You had to look up what you were even supposed to do in the game, that's how bad it is. Even though the game is horrible, and I should probably give it a negative rating, I'm going to give it a 2/10 because to be fair, the team only had a few weeks to work with it, and it managed to completely scar the Atari system and ET movie forever. Good job, guys. 

Galaxian    
 Your average space shooter game from the '70s/ '80s. You're a space ship trying to take down a fleet of alien ships. Pretty simple stuff. It was pretty good game, TBH. The gameplay was nice and smooth, for the Atari, everything looked nice, and even though the arcade version looks/sounds better, that will happen. I'd give it a 8/10 because of how good it was and how we keep looking back to it. I probably should give it a higher rating, but meh, I dunno. That's just how I felt. 

Centipede    
 Pretty nice. The controls are a bit loose, but you get used to it because of the fast-paced gameplay. The objective is again, pretty simple, shoot the centipede and avoid the peeps that try to kill you. Gets a little repetitive after a while, but hey, they change the colors every time you destroy a full centipede, so ya got that going for ya... yeah nvm, it gets pretty repetitive. -_- But then again, this is when console games were first starting out, so that's kinda to be expected, but still. :I Anyways, I'll give it a 7/10 Because of it's repetition, but it's still a fine game overall. I guess I'm just harsh.

P-P-Pac-Man *shivers*    
 Oh, lord. This one is pretty horrifying. I can't believe this could have even passed as a game. We're talking Pacman here. So it better be legit, right? WRONG! It's pretty horrible, as most people already know. The dots Pacman eats aren't dots, they're lines, The ghosts flicker so much they could give you a seizure, and everything's just wrong. I give it an overrating score of 1/10 Because of how bad and disappointing it was, like ET. At least ET had an impact. All this did was give children nightamres for many sleepless nights.

Mario Bros    
Basically, what you do is kill turtles and stuff and survive down in a sewer. Sounds fun, don't it?  Honestly, this game didn't do much for me. I mean, everything feels smooth and nice and all, but I just didn't get much from it. Given, I didn't play it back when it was first made. If I had to imagine playing it on its release, I can imagine how fun this game must have been. It does seem like fun, but I just didn't get much out of it for some reason. :I So, I give it an 8/10 Because I'm sure it was fun when it was originally played, but meh. Again, I'm harsh. Oh well

Road Runner    
It was okay. Not bad, not amazing. Basically, you run away from Mr. Wolfy and collect thingies and avoid other thingies while doing so. Pretty basic. I will say the game is kinda boring after a long time of playing, but meh. That happens. Anyways, 8/10 For fun and good gameplay, but not as fun after a while.

Last edited by Eagles; April 11, 2012 at 05:15:12 PM.
Old April 9, 2012, 10:14:44 AM
Rayquaza

The most game I can think of for Atari is obviously Mario. We played it SO much along with shooting the duck.

For PS1, Crash Bandicoot trilogy was a classic, along with Pepsiman.

PS3/Xbox360 shared a lot of gigantic franchise, like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

Exclusively for Sony Playstation, you can include God of War and God of War II for PS2, since these games were incredible. God of War III for PS3. PS3 also had Uncharted franchise, which was very successful. I reckon it consists of three games.