Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 12, 2012, 04:58:12 AM
Kyurem

Default Be honest. What do you think of IE right now?

Internet Explorer, first released in 1996, has been around for 15 years and counting. There was a time where it used to innovate like crazy... and kill off Netscape. It also used to be known for insecurity, being non-standard and being a pain in the butt in general for web developers. Now it's also known for being ridiculously fast at graphical rendering and being "just OK". Seems like perceptions change from time to time...

What do you think of Internet Explorer right now?
Old April 12, 2012, 05:21:37 AM
Haxorus

I've never tried out other browsers because why? It's like using Yahoo to search things when you could Google. The last Windows I used was 7, with I E 8. Fastest. Chiz. Evar. I will always use IE :>
Old April 12, 2012, 11:18:31 AM
Giratina

IE seems to run kinda slow on my computer. On top of that, the lack of customization abilities is a bit of a factor to not use it. And I can't help but feel Microsoft's sense of smug whenever I use IE. It's like they think they are the greatest when it comes to web browser development.
Old April 12, 2012, 03:22:50 PM
Volcarona

I used IE for the longest time ever since I've been around the internet. I had then of course heard about how it was a sort of backdoor for viruses, I of course followed that statement rather blindly and believed IE was the eeeevil web browser from then on. That was around IE 6 - 8 I think though. I then fell in love with Google Chrome as my main browser as of now. I do have IE 9 and even though it apparently uses less processors than Chrome and runs and loads images pretty smoothly, it's not enough for me to change it as my main. The display on it is hard to describe but something about it does not look correct, and there appears to be white lines on the sides of the browser screen. Also on some sites, such as VR for instance, it did not load the page correctly and on VRIM the "Who's Online" page was completely messed up while. I still don't like how it's trying to copy Chrome.. just like every other browser now a days it seems as far as the browser's setup. So my final opinion of it for today is that I'm still not a fan of IE, but I do hope to see major improvement on the wonky display in IE 10.
Old April 12, 2012, 03:28:28 PM
Haxorus

Wait.
Hold on.
IE copying Chrome.
Chrome is several years younger than IE.

Last edited by Absol; April 12, 2012 at 03:28:49 PM.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:00:27 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absol View Post
Wait.
Hold on.
IE copying Chrome.
Newer versions of IE could by copying current versions of Chrome.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:09:31 PM
Kyurem

Note: display issues on VRIM and IE are not IE'S fault. There are a lot of coding issues, and CSS and unclosed tags are one of them.

IE has a perception problem.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:34:38 PM
Kyurem

IE is really technically one of the fastest browsers out there (performance-wise at least), largely due to having 64-bit support, which is pretty awesome. However, it completely fails at being nice to look at or easy to use. Honestly, I think IE8 was it's downfall. I remember back in the day when IE7 was a new thing, it was pretty nice, and a pretty big leap forward from IE6. Now, like I said, functionality-wise, it's actually on par with the standard (albeit with tons of security holes). However, when it comes to my preferences, form comes before function, and thus I can't stand IE for that reason.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:38:57 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absol View Post
Wait.
Hold on.
IE copying Chrome.
Well the newer versions seemingly try to emulate Chrome's layout a little toooo much as the new IE 9 is younger than Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Note: display issues on VRIM and IE are not IE'S fault. There are a lot of coding issues, and CSS and unclosed tags are one of them.

IE has a perception problem.
Ahh, so this is why it won't display correctly? I know a bit about CSS but I was unaware that was the problem... then again it's not like I actually looked at the source code anyhow. xP And a perception problem? Is IE the only browser with such a problem? Especially when I don't get stupid errors like that in other browser except for IE 9.
Old April 12, 2012, 08:21:10 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Ahh, so this is why it won't display correctly? I know a bit about CSS but I was unaware that was the problem... then again it's not like I actually looked at the source code anyhow. xP And a perception problem? Is IE the only browser with such a problem? Especially when I don't get stupid errors like that in other browser except for IE 9.
When errors occur, people tend to always blame the browser regardless of cause.

I'll try to check out his CSS and determine what causes what. When you run out of horizontal space, you start getting floating troubles. It's perhaps what's happening to IE now.

Last edited by Twiggy; April 12, 2012 at 08:22:42 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 02:41:11 AM
Rayquaza

Years ago, IE was too slow compared to Mozilla and Chrome. Simply, I switched to Chrome. It has been my main browser for a while, and I haven't used IE for ages. I don't know how IE has improved, but I am definitely not ready to switch back to it, since I am no longer used to it.
Old April 13, 2012, 07:20:42 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
Years ago, IE was too slow compared to Mozilla and Chrome. Simply, I switched to Chrome. It has been my main browser for a while, and I haven't used IE for ages. I don't know how IE has improved, but I am definitely not ready to switch back to it, since I am no longer used to it.
You might as well as think of it as learning yet another web browser because the IE8 interface is replaced with what amounts to a Chrome clone for the most part.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:07:23 PM
Administrator

I've pretty much followed IE as my primary browser since I started using the Web over a decade ago. I stopped using IE6 around a year or two before IE7 came out because Firefox boasted so much more at the time. Once IE7 came out, I switched back. When it comes to development, IE9 seems to be caught up with the rest of the browsers, but it's mostly the older IE versions that seem to make it more of a challenge. It's not a matter of being annoyed at people using browsers they like; it's a matter of using outdated browsers. That's what really is slowing down online progress. After seeing a lot of (unbiased) comparisons, I'm definitely looking forward to IE10.

However, when it comes to slower computers, I would probably have to put my vote to Opera. It's so fast when you think about what kind of hardware you're using.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
Haxorus

i really don't care what my browser is so long as it isn't chrome, i like to have free memory.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:22:08 PM
Rayquaza

Videos have been acting odd on Chrome lately, due to the latest release in Adobe Flash Player. I am thinking of switching, but I still can't decide my next browser. What do you suggest, IE or Firefox? I prefer speed over anything.
Old April 16, 2012, 03:41:55 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Videos have been acting odd on Chrome lately, due to the latest release in Adobe Flash Player. I am thinking of switching, but I still can't decide my next browser. What do you suggest, IE or Firefox? I prefer speed over anything.
Both are equally fine choices.

Firefox has a lot of extensibility features, and its add-on collection is just huge! It's probably way larger than Chrome Web Store. Oh, and it supports a lot of bells and whistles, too. However, if something goes awry in the browser, be it a tab, an add-on or a script, there goes your entire browsing session, because it has no process or tab isolation of any kind. Oh, and it cheats a bit on font rendering at smaller sizes, and can be picky when it comes to graphical hardware acceleration. (Sometimes, after you upgrade, you'll have to reinstall your entire browser for some reason because Direct2D is disabled) Takes forever to start and can have trouble managing a lot of tabs. HTML5 and CSS3 support is at almost the same level as Chrome.

Internet Explorer? Not as fancy as Firefox, but there is still a lot that can be done with regards to adding features. Process isolation is on the level of Chrome, as well as memory usage with low amount of tabs, but soaks a whole lot of memory with a huge amount of tabs (don't worry, it also gives them up really quickly when you close them). Font rendering tends to be a bit more faithful to the actual font, but things might be a bit fuzzier than other applications. Might not score the best in HTML5 or CSS3 compatibility, but works well in real-world, so there's no real harm. After installing, you might want to take a look at a bit of advanced features in the Settings gear > Safety > Tracking Protection and check out the IE Add-on site in your Favourites > Microsoft Websites.

You certainly can't go wrong with either

(I strongly suggest that you install both, using one as the main and the other as the backup)
Old April 17, 2012, 03:59:53 AM
Shaymin

I never use it because for so long it kept the same looks, and accessibility. It just got outdated by other programs so I quit it, now I don't bother to go back.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:00:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Videos have been acting odd on Chrome lately, due to the latest release in Adobe Flash Player.
Hey, I'm not the only person who has been having video problems with Flash lately! I absolutely hate Flash, but that's for another topic.

Quote:
I am thinking of switching, but I still can't decide my next browser. What do you suggest, IE or Firefox? I prefer speed over anything.
As it can vary by machine, why don't you judge for yourself? Download the newest of each and see how well they perform on your computer.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 18, 2012 at 01:01:13 AM.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:23:29 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
As it can vary by machine, why don't you judge for yourself? Download the newest of each and see how well they perform on your computer.
One thing about software that does the same thing is that they can act differently depending on hardware/

One thing's for sure - once you go Direct2D, you won't go back. Ever.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:17:01 PM
Floatzel

Just like a few people, I used to have to use IE for everything. Then I discovered Mozilla Firefox. I love its customization features in comparison to IE. IE has ok add-ons I will admit, but I won't use it if I don't have to (especially when my Firefox is decorated with wolves and all with an add-on known as Personas.) No hate or anything against IE, just doesn't match my standards when it comes to personalization and security. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me. If you like IE go with IE, but I honestly recommend Firefox.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; April 20, 2012 at 10:18:23 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 05:30:17 AM
Zoroark

I don't even remember the last time I willingly used IE

after all those months wanting to try safari out, I install it on my laptop and ended up using it once

got rid of it two weeks later and went right back to firefox
Old April 22, 2012, 07:16:48 PM
Giratina

It's not very useful to me, considering the lack of speed and multiple freezes. I use it as a means to download other web browsers if the need for them arises. I keep it anyway just in case BOTH of my backup browsers start to get glitchy on me.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:49:08 AM
Zoroark

I stopped bashing IE gradually, starting with 7, to the point where I think 9 is very decent. I will never do away with my current browser and its addons, but if I had to use IE I wouldn't scream in pain. It's still a bit sluggish compared to what I've gotten used to and I think 10 will bring it another step closer to the competition.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:02:26 PM
Regigigas

It's an okay browser if you have the ram to run it (especially if you're 64 bit), but for me the lack of customization, add-ons, and themes is a huge turnoff. When I used IE, I accidentally hit the Install Chrome button on a YouTube page, then said 'oh, what the heck, let's try it out.'

Then I never went back. If Chrome didn't exist, I'd probably be using Firefox, but I think my loyalty lies in Chrome

However, if I'm using a relative's PC, and they have the newest IE, and it runs smooth, I'll use the InPrivate mode for browsing (otherwise, use a portable chrome version)
Old June 23, 2012, 01:03:44 PM
Zoroark

I have used Chrome (main browser), Firefox (logged in as a different Google account so I can do virtual stock trades), Safari, Opera and the latest IE. I found Chrome and Opera as seamless as possible when transitioning and switching tabs. Firefox, not so much. Latest IE: It's still showing tabs about MSN and my laptop manufacturer and I don't bother to change them. IE is still the slowest browser on my 64-bit computer.

First world problem: Program X is opening Internet Explorer instead of my default browser!