Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 20, 2017, 07:40:19 PM
Cyndaquil

Default The end of pokemon 3ds to Nintendo Switch legacy

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon launches on the Nintendo 3DS on Nov. 17, but the games' release will be bittersweet. According to an interview with Game Freak director Shigeru Ohmori,*Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon are the last two Pokémon titles launching for the handheld system.
During an interview with IGN, Ohmori explained that Game Freak has constantly pushed the 3DS' hardware capabilities, figuring out what the console can handle for a Pokémon title. The studio originally thought they reached the 3DS' "absolute limits" with*Pokémon X and Y, but after Sun and Moon entered development, Game Freak was able to push the 3DS' hardware even further.
"When we were making Pokémon X and Y, we really were trying to push the 3DS system to its absolute limits—which is what we thought we’d done," Ohmori told IGN, "But when Sun and Moon came around, we completely redesigned the system, and actually ended up pushing the 3DS even further to what we thought was the most we could draw out of it."

With Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Game Freak squeezed even more from the 3DS. Now, the the team believes the upcoming*Pokémon game is the series' peak achievement on the 3DS. It would be impossible to create a better 3DS*Pokémon title, in other words.
"With Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, we’ve tried to eke that out more and really, really push the system to its absolute limits, and we’re now feeling that perhaps this is the maximum of what we can get out," Ohmori explained. "So we’re really treating Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as the culmination of our work with the 3DS system."
This may be the last Pokémon RPG for the Nintendo 3DS, but Game Freak has other plans for the franchise on a new console. IGN says "it can be assumed" the rest of Game Freak is working on the upcoming Nintendo Switch game, allegedly titled Pokémon Stars, which looks to be a main RPG installment for the series on Switch.
It remains unclear what Pokémon Stars will be like, where it will take place, and if it will introduce any new Pokémon to the series. More will be revealed on once Game Freak feels ready to share, it seems. Until then, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon launches for the 3DS family Nov. 17.

I understand why it would end for nintendo 3ds this is very understanding they reached the maximum limits of the hand held 3ds family limits an must move on to switch.

Last edited by Karnine; October 20, 2017 at 07:43:36 PM.
Old October 21, 2017, 05:47:52 PM
Kyurem

Im still upset cause we wont be able to play 3ds type games on the switch

Last edited by kakashidragon; October 21, 2017 at 05:48:13 PM.
Old October 23, 2017, 08:47:12 AM
Administrator

We all kind of knew this was going to happen, though. Even when Nintendo said the DS would be the third pillar (the other two being the Game Boy Advance and GameCube), it was still just a way to backpedal in case the DS flopped.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 23, 2017 at 08:48:25 AM.
Old October 24, 2017, 12:27:53 PM
Kyurem

Just hope sometime in the future we get DS support for the switch or a newer version of the system to play my DS library.
Old November 14, 2017, 03:15:27 PM
Shaymin

While it's sad to think they're beginning the phase out of one of my favourite systems, the Switch will hold its own charms and surprises for the Pokemon franchise! I'm holding out on the full Pokemon library being brought to Switch Virtual Console. What a dream that would be, to have all of the games available on one system. I'd never be able to put it down, not until I caught them all. In any case, this means I'll need to buy a Switch at some point. I already bought Super Mario Odyssey, but I haven't made the leap to get the system yet. No time with school and all of that, unfortunately, but that'll change during my winter break! I'd love for a Pokemon XD/Pokemon Colosseum-style game to be the next in the series, but alas, I doubt it'll be the case.
Old November 14, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxray13579 View Post
I already bought Super Mario Odyssey, but I haven't made the leap to get the system yet.
I've definitely done that before. The most notable is buying Pokémon Battle Revolution new before getting a Wii.

(I've definitely bought used games for systems I didn't have, but they were usually dirt cheap at garage sales.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 14, 2017 at 04:23:47 PM.