Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 16, 2010, 06:42:07 PM
Charizard

Default Do Aliens Exist?

Mind you, I'm referring to aliens from outer space. Certainly, many people have various different opinions on the matter. From the old "alien sightings" in Roswell, New Mexico to people reporting them in the present, people have been fascinated with the concept of aliens. However, people of all intelligent levels have different opinions on the matter. Do aliens exist? Could they be watching us right now? Could some of us be them right now? o.o

It's up for you to decide.

In my opinion, some sort of life from from outer space exists. I mean, it's highly unlikely that no other life forms would occur in our vast universe. Whatever is out there could be more or even less intelligent than the human race. I don't think there have been any "real" sightings on Earth though. If they are truly advanced, they would not be gullible enough to let themselves be revealed so easily.

So, do you agree or disagree? Please give reasons why.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:49:01 PM
Shaymin

The fact that other life exists in our universe is a definite possibility, especially considering that it's so large and most of it remains undiscovered by our species. However, if aliens exist they would probably look more akin to homo sapien since our form of life is perfectly suited for the habitat we evolved into, which is also perfectly suited to produce and support life. It would only be natural for other species (offworld or not) to evolve and develop likewise.

Think about this though. If they're smarter than us, better equipped than us, and older than us, why haven't we seen then more often if they know they can get away with being caught?

In my opinion, aliens exist on planets far out in our universe that closely resemble ours.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:11:36 AM
Rayquaza

I don't think so, as big as our universe is I dought the odds that another form of life could actually be formed.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:28:10 AM
Regigigas

I think they exists.There have been many sightings of UFOs recently in India.
I actually saw something unusual in sky three months ago.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:15:51 AM
Haxorus

This Planet isn't the only Planet with living Creatures.
This Universe is so endlessly big that We probably won't even find out.

I think there are Aliens, but they won't look like us.
Maybe they are Dogs who Evolved into a Human kind form over the Millions.
Or maybe Insect kinds of Aliens.. They could be smarter, or not smart at all (Not evolved or anything)

Maybe they talk with biting each other, lol..
One thing is for sure, what ever happens.. the won't be able to Speak English or whatever.

Last edited by Dilster3000; May 17, 2010 at 07:16:15 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:54:34 PM
Regigigas

How the hell else do you think they built the pyramids?
I mean BOTH of the pyramids. The Egyptian ones and the ones in South America.
...Maybe that one over at the top-secret Rotom HQ.
OHSHI I TALKED ABOUT THE SECRET NOW I'M GONNA GET CUT OFF MID SENTENCE LIKE CANDLEJACK WHEN YOU S
Old May 17, 2010, 03:22:49 PM
Regigigas

We've got a huge universe. Thousands of Millions of galaxies full of planets. Why the hell would God make all those galaxies and yet not have any life in them? It just sounds stupid. There has to be other beings.

One things for sure, Reptilians are real. I just saw one at Hienen's today.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:25:50 PM

One of my favorite subjects. I do think that there is other life in the universe. Given it is as big as it is, with multiple galaxies, the possibility that there is other life skyrockets. I myself don't believe in macroevolution, but it still leaves the possibility of other life, given that God is an omnipotent being and can probably do whatever He wants to (like change appearance if we were made in His image). I'm not trying to spark religious debate, but that's just my point of view on the subject. There are also the accounts of abductions to take into account to. They get very detailed when the subjects are under hypnosis. Just something else to take into account.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:45:16 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
However, if aliens exist they would probably look more akin to homo sapien since our form of life is perfectly suited for the habitat we evolved into, which is also perfectly suited to produce and support life. It would only be natural for other species (offworld or not) to evolve and develop likewise.
Ah, But are we really perfectly suited to our environment? And is our environment really perfectly optimal for life?

Also, you people may be interested in the Drake equation, A equation expressing the likelihood of intelligent life... ...in our galaxy alone.
Note that there are currently roughly 125 billion observable galaxies in the known universe. (Emphasis on Observable and Known 'case we keep finding more.)

Drake's original figures are somewhat dubious, I personally think that the proper result would be closer to two or three, as opposed to his ten. However, even if it turned out to be as low as .01 (And that's pretty low, considering the number of stars in the galaxy), That still comes out to One billion, 250 million advanced civilizations in the known universe.

Note, however, that none of these will ever contact us. 1,250,000,000 is a lot, but 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, the number of stars in the observable universe, is far, far, more.

Also note that all those billions and trillions of stars are suspended in a void roughly 4,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cubic light-years in size.
To put that in context, that's roughly

Big number!    
300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00  0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,  000,000

Cubic meters in size. Our galaxy ALONE is about 587,849,981,000,000,000 miles across.(That'd take you about 1.118 trillion years to traverse at 60 miles per hour, or roughly 82 times the age of the universe.)
Old May 17, 2010, 08:01:22 PM
Regigigas

Think of this- Space explorers haven't even explored the ENTIRE galaxy. There is no possible way they kan't just say "There is no life out of this world" kause it isn't even explored yet.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure there is.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:13:12 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
Think of this- Space explorers haven't even explored the ENTIRE galaxy.
Galaxy?

We're not even done with our solar system.

And, once we're done with that, We'll be about 1/6,825,000,000,000,000th done with the galaxy.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:14:36 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshell View Post
Galaxy?

We're not even done with our solar system.

And, once we're done with that, We'll be about 1/6,825,000,000,000,000th done with the galaxy.
Well I'm not into space and all that junk. That stuff is beyond my interest.

You still understood my point.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:16:21 PM
Volcarona

Maybe it's like Spore and there are bazillions of other life forms in this galaxy alone that are willing to trade with you or blow you up, or maybe not. ;3
I think it's certainly plausible that life could evolve on another planet. However, we don't usually consider the possibility of life that is hardly similar to what we know could exist. There is simply no way to know otherwise, though it's also possible that all other life is just like ourselves. I don't believe that other intelligent life would have to be very similar to us, though, because evolution is driven by random mutations, and no lifeform is "perfect", including ourselves. It'd be really odd if we did encounter other intelligent life that communicated through a method that we cannot possibly comprehend, or one that doesn't have the qualities associated with life on Earth.

Last edited by piexing; May 18, 2010 at 01:16:58 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:11:34 PM
Servine

I believe that life on other planets is possible, taking our existence as evidence for such a possibility. If we are to say that life on Earth is possible because:

1. Our distance from our sun allows us to experience a range of temperatures which are favorable for life as we know it.
2. Our moon's creation was based upon a mass of rock crashing into our early planet, enriching our planet's core and thus a strong magnetic field by which we can be shielded from the sun's more harmful radiation.
3. The moon as a satellite creates tides, which may be responsible for stirring a "pot" of materials necessary for creating life forms.
4. The existence of planets such as Jupiter which act to protect a planet like ours from being bombarded too frequently by asteroids.

Then if we were to see wherever planets fit these criteria (and possibly more that I have not listed), we just might find conditions suitable for life forming.

Assuming the universe is infinitely expanding, it's entirely possible that life can exist on other planets. Do I think any physical evidence is present on Earth of an interaction with extraterrestrial beings? No, I do not. I feel we have yet to learn of many things about our earth, things which may one day be capable of replacing those thoughts we have previously held that if something is unexplainable, it's probably the work of aliens, God, or something else to that effect.

Considering the unlikelihood of humans traveling to another planet with life present, much less the unlikelihood of humans traveling to the next star, it's only a reflexive opinion that life forms on other planets wouldn't be able to do the same.

Last edited by Bela; May 18, 2010 at 02:12:29 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:48:17 PM
Haxorus

Of course we live in this universe that expanses several thousands of miles, and your telling me that there is no aliens?
Yo' tripping balls.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:48:46 PM
Celebi

Depends on the definition of "alien".

There is life out there, but it's just bacteria or something. It would be nice to have some actual proof of a humanoid alien... but that'll be hard. I bet the aliens won't show themselves after seeing how horrible we're treating this planet.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:58:05 PM
Haxorus

WHAT HAPPENS IN ROSWELL STAYS IN ROSWELL.
I'm an alien freak,, anyhow.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:44:11 PM
Celebi

Roswell is old news. There were a lot more major "encounters" before Roswell.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:09:43 AM
Haxorus

I know, I just find Roswell one of the more interesting ones.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:59:22 AM
Celebi

Roswell is for noobs, IMO. It was the most recent and most popular, but there are a lot of other cases that defy logic. The Pyramids, the Nazca plains in Peru, countless pictures and hyroglyphs from ancient civilizations depicting suited beings that resemble modern astronauts... Does "Chariots of the Gods" ring a bell?
Old June 8, 2010, 11:30:07 AM
Haxorus

The pyramids are among my favorite. I'm a confusing guy.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:47:33 PM
Celebi

Pyramids are fun. But there are more than Egyptian pyramids, however Egypt gets all the credit. D: Boo. I like the Central American pyramids.
Old June 8, 2010, 02:50:58 PM
Haxorus

Those freak me out D:
Old June 8, 2010, 05:50:07 PM
Celebi

Why? The ones in Central America dealt with worship. The Egypt ones are nothing but glorified burial sites.
Old June 9, 2010, 02:08:52 AM
Haxorus

There in deep i the jungle, and I have a phobia of alone D:
Old June 14, 2010, 03:08:59 AM
Servine

there could be some aliens that we probably wouldent even think of, like creatures living inside of the hottsest suns and creatures thats lifespan is only as long as the blink of an eye.
this brings my favorite subject of chemistry up. it really isint that hard to make something as simple as a microbe. somewhere somehow there had to be a pool on a distant planet where Carbohydrates and protiens must have colided. then again we have to take into consideration the other types of chemical reactions could cause an animate creature.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:04:21 AM
Regigigas

I think there are aliens and I think there aren't at the same time but its kinda a touchy topic like if we have the hubble telescope which takes pictures way out in the universe how come its never picked up any other form of life, you'd think some thing that takes pictures of light years that'd would've found something by now.
Old June 20, 2010, 07:20:46 AM
Kyurem

Deoxys is an alien. Done.

No, the Mighty Tsutaaja kids, but I think there is most likely outer life, just no little green men in UFOs saying "TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!". Probably just alien microbes far out in the universe. Hey, the universe is always getting bigger, isn't it?
Old June 23, 2010, 01:20:34 PM
Charizard

Yeah, the universe is constantly expanding. Which is why I believe it is statistically unlikely that some other form of life doesn't exist. There probably isn't an other life in our galaxy, but that's relatively small compared to the big picture.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:54:17 AM
Zoroark

This is from my old Alien thread >.<
Quote:
Aliens...
This may make you all think I have some sort of issue, but they are out there...
There are 4 kinds...
First - Sightings...
Second - Proof...
Third - Contact...
Fourth - Abduction...
Reports all around the United States have been made...
A movie based on a real life incident that happened over 10 years ago shows real life footage...
The end of the movie, during the credits calls are heard of reports...
Square objects with blinking colors, dims when coming near you...
A caller, a female, stated "My little brother who is 3yrs old, turning 4 soon was talking to my parents after I called. He told them 'Daddy, you need to lock the doors the space man are coming for me'. He says that every time he is outside the stars follow him and they said 'We will get you.'"...
Watch this movie/documentary "The Fourth Kind", if you aren't a believer you will be after this...
They are real...
Old July 6, 2010, 11:41:42 PM
Volcarona

Someway, somewhere, out there there might be the impossible. The universe is bigger then any of us can think. So, it's a maybe.
Old July 7, 2010, 03:44:39 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricThePelipper View Post
This is from my old Alien thread >.<
Put that back in /b/uizel >.<

Also, it's impossible for there to be only one planet with life. There are simply too many solar systems.

But, if there is life, it's probably in a galaxy far far away.
Old July 11, 2010, 08:09:30 PM
Mudkip

People say they are in Mars
Old July 20, 2010, 06:37:40 PM
Haxorus

Of course extraterrestrial life exists. I'm more than certain there is life aside from our own.

Are they interested in us? No.
...As food? Probably.

If I were a being of superior intellect, and knew secrets of long life, time and space travel, and I was from off-world... Er... Actually, I am... o_o;;

ANYWAY, if I saw a race of evolved monkeys Killing each other for oil or religious aggression, I'd lol and take off. Who is interested in humanity? All they know is how to kill one another, and at that, they're only so good at it. They abolish that which they do not understand, and collect all they covet. Humanity's starvation of oil, it's unerring desire to simply have all forms of currency, a global conquest of power, while still unable to let go of transgressions left over from thousands of years ago...

Humanity is an uninteresting race. All they can do is kill one another, take their possessions, and desire riches. When I see humanity acting upon itself to cure the world of it's global problems, like, I dunno... EVERYONE BEING POOR, then we can move on to greater things.

Regardless of what my computer specs are, I'm still fairly broke. o3o My machine is the nicest piece of equipment I have, just below that is my IROC, and below that is my bass. That aside, my systems are the only possessions I own. I'm very broke, thanks to my computer. xD; I make good cash at work, and yet, it all goes to bills, collectors who simply have the goal of lining their pockets with gold by taking it from mine.

And for what purpose? To pay for a Mercedes Benz CLK 550? A summer home in Brazil? :l

While Excel bills me for $877.22 for a "broken gas meter" they claim was replaced, and calculated that they were billing me improperly. Or for our Comcast, who suddenly decided to bill me for beta-ing their Xfinity for the last year.

Aliens should not be interested in this planet. It is full of the greedy the desperately broke, the rich, the poor, the mighty and the weak... None of whom willing to work together to end a global issue.

Go away Aliens. :l This place sucks.
Old July 20, 2010, 07:26:08 PM
Kyurem

Default My Rant About Aliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
Of course extraterrestrial life exists. I'm more than certain there is life aside from our own.

Are they interested in us? No.
...As food? Probably.

If I were a being of superior intellect, and knew secrets of long life, time and space travel, and I was from off-world... Er... Actually, I am... o_o;;

ANYWAY, if I saw a race of evolved monkeys Killing each other for oil or religious aggression, I'd lol and take off. Who is interested in humanity? All they know is how to kill one another, and at that, they're only so good at it. They abolish that which they do not understand, and collect all they covet. Humanity's starvation of oil, it's unerring desire to simply have all forms of currency, a global conquest of power, while still unable to let go of transgressions left over from thousands of years ago...

Humanity is an uninteresting race. All they can do is kill one another, take their possessions, and desire riches. When I see humanity acting upon itself to cure the world of it's global problems, like, I dunno... EVERYONE BEING POOR, then we can move on to greater things.

Regardless of what my computer specs are, I'm still fairly broke. o3o My machine is the nicest piece of equipment I have, just below that is my IROC, and below that is my bass. That aside, my systems are the only possessions I own. I'm very broke, thanks to my computer. xD; I make good cash at work, and yet, it all goes to bills, collectors who simply have the goal of lining their pockets with gold by taking it from mine.

And for what purpose? To pay for a Mercedes Benz CLK 550? A summer home in Brazil? :l

While Excel bills me for $877.22 for a "broken gas meter" they claim was replaced, and calculated that they were billing me improperly. Or for our Comcast, who suddenly decided to bill me for beta-ing their Xfinity for the last year.

Aliens should not be interested in this planet. It is full of the greedy the desperately broke, the rich, the poor, the mighty and the weak... None of whom willing to work together to end a global issue.

Go away Aliens. :l This place sucks.
Well, here's my next take on Technomancer's whole "alien" situation. And to do this, I'm to enter my "absolute nerdiness mode".

For my first argument, I'm to refer to H.G. Well's War of the Worlds.

While the theme of aliens attmepting to take over Earth is a recurring theme, it is a theme that is quite foolish in itself. I mean no disrespect, Mr.Wells, but it is quite obvious that no life exists on Mars. But a theme that War of the Worlds had that piqued my interest is the theme in which the Martians came to escape their own destruction. What destruction, you may ask? Well, have you ever seen Mars? That's right. It's literally barren as a desert, it's cold, and there is no sign of life support anywhere on the planet. It looks as if Mars may have contained life sometime in the distant past, but it's something that we humans cannot prove in this time, and we very well may not be able to find any signs in this lifetime. Oh, my, it seems I have strayed a little off-topic here. But nonetheless, life is nonexistent on Mars. That's an unexcepted but most likely true fact.

Now, back to the aliens. As War of the Worlds tries to convey, it is that these aliens came, not for meaningless conquest, but to be able to exist. But the only way to be able to live in harmony with the Earth was to destroy the human race. Of course, they eventually fell to their doom, once they fell prey to human bacteria and viruses.

As you can obviously see, the aliens care not about the human race, and most likely never did. They only came to survive, and they saw Earth to be a fit place to do such thing. Meaningless conquest by the aliens is a recurring fad between alien-believers of the human race, but that is most likely not so. If conquest was their focus, they must have some reason behind it unless they are brain-dead and angry. But, of course, we have no way of telling either way.

The financial problems? You must be joking. No, I'm very serious when I say this. Do you honestly believe the aliens have any interest in finances? I hope not, I pray not, and any sensible person will tell you that no alien cares about how much money a cell phone/car/vaction costs. That would be silly. Humanity cares about finances; aliens, assuming they existed, would care about survival. (And besides, if they invaded and just killed everyone in sight, they wouldn't just go, "Oh? This corpse has lots of money! I'm gonna buy me a car, nyuk nyuk nyuk!") Hah! I'd like to see that!

Now, in the sense that aliens came to research our species, likely, our species has evolved much more than the aliens. In fact, most places that exist in this vast universe of ours are unsuitable for alien life. In the case that a planet does support life, it would take light-years for them to reach
us anyhow! The closest star is at around 4 light years away. You think they have some onboard nuclear power plant to keep their spaceship going while they preserve themselves in a dry-ice ice chest!? I'd laugh if anyone would even think such a thing! And even if they had a life-span going 5 times, 20 times, even a million times longer than ours, the further reaches of our universe would still be unable to reach us. Honestly, I don't think aliens give a Raticate's butt why we're so disfunctional anyways!

Now, Technomancer, your arguement of disfunctional humanity is plausible in more ways than one, but it has little to no relevancy to aliens. And even if aliens came to invade, they don't care about our race's disfunctionality. However, if aliens ever bothered the trouble to send an alien to Earth, it wouldn't work. You know what I said about the life-span a million times the length of ours? That's supposing they're small microorganisms. And we all know that microorganisms don't have the power to create a spaceship, let alone form a whole conquerng race of them. If they were actual, life-sized, animate creatures, then surely their life-span couldn't be longer than ours by much.

Continuing on your line of thought, the alien race may very well be more disfunctional than ours, and come to our planet in search for a better life! Our planet may have a lack of resources, but their planet may very well have no resources. We kill each other for these resources, but they might kill each other for a portion of food. The greedy steal from the poor through scams, the greedy aliens may kill their whole race to get a speck of gold dust. So in other words, it is better to keep an open mind for what may very well be even worse off than the dismal state humanity exists in.

This is all providing aliens exist! And by alien, I mean a living, breathing, life-sized alien. (Like what appears in War of the Worlds). So I honestly can't say what might exist beyond our boundaries, there may be nothing, to a giant race of overadvanced superaliens.

...Phew, that was a long rant. But nonetheless, I rest my case.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:26:37 PM
Haxorus

FTW, you've gone and missed the entire meaning of my post.

The aliens don't care for our financial greediness, and that's exactly why they would have no interest in this mudball. We are technologically inferior to any race of beings able to traverse the starts, we are physically and mentally inferior considering even the most well-trained of astronauts and cosmonauts still feel the effects of disattached gravity and feeding issues, and we are morally inferior if all the human race can give a **** about is how to make the next buck with minimal loss to our own valuable time.

My entire post did indeed bash the human race. No extraterrestrial race would care to take a second look at us. Furthermore, were they interested at all, they would simply make themselves known. They'd land on the North Lawn and knock on the door of the White House, were they so inclined. The human race is totally and utterly uninteresting. Were I an other worldly being, I sure wouldn't want to land here. We haven't the resources to support ourselves for another hundred years, less a second race, our planet's health is failing miserably, we as a society are simply detached from one another, and the more dismal and weak humans would be shoving pseudo-philosophy and religion down their throats, attempting to turn a race obviously superior to our own into Born-Again Christians. It's revolting.

The very few of us that they would deem acceptable humans [Like myself] would probably be harvested for our genetic material and discarded, our bio-extracts used to engineer a race of slaves, or something of the like. I don't expect to live long in the eyes of any extraterrestrial species, but I'll be alive a damn-sight longer than the rest of humanity. xD
Old July 21, 2010, 07:20:29 AM
Landorus

What techno said.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:32:28 PM
Volcarona

I think it would be pretty ignorant to assume that we are the only living things in the universe, because the amount of space that we have traveled is nothing to the endlessness of the universe.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:45:58 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
FTW, you've gone and missed the entire meaning of my post.

The aliens don't care for our financial greediness, and that's exactly why they would have no interest in this mudball. We are technologically inferior to any race of beings able to traverse the starts, we are physically and mentally inferior considering even the most well-trained of astronauts and cosmonauts still feel the effects of disattached gravity and feeding issues, and we are morally inferior if all the human race can give a **** about is how to make the next buck with minimal loss to our own valuable time.

My entire post did indeed bash the human race. No extraterrestrial race would care to take a second look at us. Furthermore, were they interested at all, they would simply make themselves known. They'd land on the North Lawn and knock on the door of the White House, were they so inclined. The human race is totally and utterly uninteresting. Were I an other worldly being, I sure wouldn't want to land here. We haven't the resources to support ourselves for another hundred years, less a second race, our planet's health is failing miserably, we as a society are simply detached from one another, and the more dismal and weak humans would be shoving pseudo-philosophy and religion down their throats, attempting to turn a race obviously superior to our own into Born-Again Christians. It's revolting.

The very few of us that they would deem acceptable humans [Like myself] would probably be harvested for our genetic material and discarded, our bio-extracts used to engineer a race of slaves, or something of the like. I don't expect to live long in the eyes of any extraterrestrial species, but I'll be alive a damn-sight longer than the rest of humanity. xD
Technomaster, your position is truly a widely held one. However, I wouldn't be posting a counter post unless I had something to say about it. So here goes.

I'll admit this; I may have ranted and miss-fired at your original post. I'll admit that much.

However! I have something to counterstrike upon. See the bold sentance? I have some beef with that sentence. Yourself? That's being conceited; believing that you, in every (or in most, at least) way are perfect. A true Renaissance Man, per se. Sorry Techno, those don't exist. No matter how hard you look. If I am misunderstading what you mean by, "I deem acceptable, unlike most of this lousy race", then I apologize in advance and take back everything I said.

Now, back to the aliens. The financial thing, that part should totally be eliminated from this entire argument. If the alien race even had a finacial system (assuming they were animate, life-sized creatures), they could care less and that would likely not sway a decision to invade/observe/etc. So, let's get rid of that part, okeydokey? Because that's humanity's problem to deal with, not the aliens, and it never will be.

Your position is an assumption that aliens are *Read carefully* ABSOLUTELY AND POSITIVELY, SUBSTANTIALLY MORE INTELLIGENT THEN HUMAN LIFE. We have no way of telling this, one way or the other. Assuming that these sorts of aliens existed, then your argument makes slightly more sense. But what if they're still inferior? What if they haven't evolved? What if their stupidity is only surpassed by their inability to see, talk, or hear? There are so many aspects that can be overlooked, each one possibly making your argument much less sensible.

Oh, yes, you act as if alien are INARGUABLY better than the human race. This may not be so, it may be. You have know way of knowing, I don't and frankly, no one does. So we twiddle our thumbs and wait.

So, my rant is much shorter, and hopefully, should we be able to settle this argument once and for all, I won't have to post a rant quite like my first one.
Old July 21, 2010, 11:28:13 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
However! I have something to counterstrike upon. See the bold sentance? I have some beef with that sentence. Yourself? That's being conceited; believing that you, in every (or in most, at least) way are perfect. A true Renaissance Man, per se. Sorry Techno, those don't exist. No matter how hard you look. If I am misunderstading what you mean by, "I deem acceptable, unlike most of this lousy race", then I apologize in advance and take back everything I said.
Physically, intellectually, and genetically, I am superior to a vast majority of the human race. I will not concede to anything less than accepting my fate as a true marvel of the human race. My age also plays a factor in this proposed hypothetical situation, as my cellular regeneration and genetic copies are prime for preserving the very most of my qualities. Again, I state that in the hypothetical scenario, I and a very small margin of other physically, mentally, and genetically superior humans would be harvested for what we have to offer, only before being discarded like the rest of this pathetic race. I never said I would be the only one, nor did I say these creatures would take us to their world and allow us to live life alongside them. I said we would live a maximum of a few days before we'd be airlock'd.

As an addendum, yes, I am vain. Pretentiously so. But I have every right to be. Only so often is it when someone like me comes along, who is with only so many faults. I admit, I'm not perfect, but I'm a damn sight better than most of the monkeys running around Earth.

Quote:
Now, back to the aliens. The financial thing, that part should totally be eliminated from this entire argument. If the alien race even had a finacial system (assuming they were animate, life-sized creatures), they could care less and that would likely not sway a decision to invade/observe/etc. So, let's get rid of that part, okeydokey? Because that's humanity's problem to deal with, not the aliens, and it never will be.
Again, you're missing my point by a great deal. Stop your selective reading, it's rather annoying.

Read what I have to say carefully. And I'll use small words so that you are able to understand me.

The financial system is completely flawed. It pays out to the few rich, leaving the rest of humanity to struggle finding ten bucks to make rent. Any extraterrestrial life would see this method of currency exchange as a sad, pathetic plight. Humanity's drive to become more powerful monetarily, while stepping over anyone who would keep this man from making a dollar, is a disgusting habit in which humanity must break itself.

If you still can't understand, I'm trying to say that the aliens would see humanity's greed as a weakness, and ignore us altogether. l2read. If I hear one more complaint about this from you, I'll lose all hope in your ability to hold a decent conversation.

Quote:
Your position is[in] an assumption that aliens are *Read carefully* ABSOLUTELY AND POSITIVELY, SUBSTANTIALLY MORE INTELLIGENT THEN HUMAN LIFE. We have no way of telling this, one way or the other. Assuming that these sorts of aliens existed, then your argument makes slightly more sense. But what if they're still inferior? What if they haven't evolved? What if their stupidity is only surpassed by their inability to see, talk, or hear? There are so many aspects that can be overlooked, each one possibly making your argument much less sensible.
If your argument is that alien races exist, but with limited evolutionary potential, you mean to say that a race of beings who can only understand the most basic of motor functions can travel through wormholes in starships.

Unless you mean the extraterrestrial life that is grounded for the time being. If this is the case, then the argument has become invalid. This discussion, as I was under the impression, was to determine what alien life decided of us, and if they exist. Can your argument speak for all of the universe? Are you so certain that humans, by some form of luck and irony, are the most evolved form of sentient life in the universe? If that's the case, then explain our encounters with them thus far, and the speculation involved in their rare but often well-documented encounters.

As a further addendum, please actually read my post, FTW. You seem to have a serious problem with selective reading, and quite frankly, it is annoying. It is difficult to maintain proper etiquette in the debate with your inability to hear out all one has to say impeding upon the conversation.

[On a slightly less pessimistic note, this is my one hundredth post. Good-bye ads.]
Old July 22, 2010, 11:29:48 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Physically, intellectually, and genetically, I am superior to a vast majority of the human race. I will not concede to anything less than accepting my fate as a true marvel of the human race. My age also plays a factor in this proposed hypothetical situation, as my cellular regeneration and genetic copies are prime for preserving the very most of my qualities. Again, I state that in the hypothetical scenario, I and a very small margin of other physically, mentally, and genetically superior humans would be harvested for what we have to offer, only before being discarded like the rest of this pathetic race. I never said I would be the only one, nor did I say these creatures would take us to their world and allow us to live life alongside them. I said we would live a maximum of a few days before we'd be airlock'd.

As an addendum, yes, I am vain. Pretentiously so. But I have every right to be. Only so often is it when someone like me comes along, who is with only so many faults. I admit, I'm not perfect, but I'm a damn sight better than most of the monkeys running around Earth.

Again, you're missing my point by a great deal. Stop your selective reading, it's rather annoying.

Read what I have to say carefully. And I'll use small words so that you are able to understand me.

The financial system is completely flawed. It pays out to the few rich, leaving the rest of humanity to struggle finding ten bucks to make rent. Any extraterrestrial life would see this method of currency exchange as a sad, pathetic plight. Humanity's drive to become more powerful monetarily, while stepping over anyone who would keep this man from making a dollar, is a disgusting habit in which humanity must break itself.

If you still can't understand, I'm trying to say that the aliens would see humanity's greed as a weakness, and ignore us altogether. l2read. If I hear one more complaint about this from you, I'll lose all hope in your ability to hold a decent conversation.

If your argument is that alien races exist, but with limited evolutionary potential, you mean to say that a race of beings who can only understand the most basic of motor functions can travel through wormholes in starships.

Unless you mean the extraterrestrial life that is grounded for the time being. If this is the case, then the argument has become invalid. This discussion, as I was under the impression, was to determine what alien life decided of us, and if they exist. Can your argument speak for all of the universe? Are you so certain that humans, by some form of luck and irony, are the most evolved form of sentient life in the universe? If that's the case, then explain our encounters with them thus far, and the speculation involved in their rare but often well-documented encounters.

As a further addendum, please actually read my post, FTW. You seem to have a serious problem with selective reading, and quite frankly, it is annoying. It is difficult to maintain proper etiquette in the debate with your inability to hear out all one has to say impeding upon the conversation.

[On a slightly less pessimistic note, this is my one hundredth post. Good-bye ads.]
OK, I understand where you're coming from as far as the financial thing, so I'll simply drop it.

Technomaster, let me start by saying that I'm sincerely sorry about my selective reading. But keep an open mind that I'm yet to start high school, so my reading skills haven't been fully developed, so I'm very, VERY sorry.

Also, I take back my rather harsh comments. Again, probably a spawn of my selective reading.

I simply would rather end things by this: in some cases, you are definitely correct. But in other cases, I might be. In arguments such as this one, I'd much rather be diplomatic. So I'll say we could both be right. By my argument, I meant in the case that extraterrestrial life is less evolved then humans. Then again, they could be more advanced by many eons, but we don't know. There's no way to know for the time being. I guess your argument makes sense. I was stuck in the belief that you meant that all extraterrestrial life was advanced. Again, I'm sorry.

But that's all I have to say. I'd rather not make enemies (I really hate to make enemies, even people who seem annoying in my eyes), so I concede defeat. I think that you got the more correct say in this argument. Kudos, Techno, kudos. And I do not mean that sarcastically.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to finish the argument. Thank you for opening my eyes to the reality of life. (Unlike you, I prefer to be optimistic)
Old July 31, 2010, 01:52:38 PM
Haxorus

I don't think that any alien's exist, I'm not saying they totally don't exist, I just think that the possibility of having alien's in the universe is quit slim to me.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:29:46 AM
Cyndaquil

Oh yes I most defiantly believe other forms of life exist but not advanced beings like "humans" but more single-cells organisms that can survive harsh conditions and abuse from the elements considering the special and rather strange events that occurred to allow advanced beings to thrive are probably, a very large number, possibilities to happen again like on Earth.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:32:31 AM
Giratina

I thought i closed this a while ago...