Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive > Rate My Team

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 11, 2011, 03:16:56 PM
Kyurem

Default My RU Team

Rarely Used

Ahh, yes RU. Such a great tier with overlooked Pokemon.
This is by far my favorite team. I use it all the time, and despite it being made for RU, it could hold its own in UU and OU.

Ninjask (M) @ Choice Band
Nature: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Night Slash
- X-Scissor
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Ninjask is typically used as the traditional baton passer thanks to its ability and stat boosting moves in its move pools. I wanted to try something different here, and made me an attacking Ninjask.
He has an exceptional attack stat that is overlooked by his excellent speed.
This one messes a lot with leads, especially ones who carry Taunt. I've got Night Slash up there due to its high crit ratio. X-scissor for decent STAT move. Aerial Ace because it's good and never misses. Plus U-turn just in case I need to get out of there.

And he's Choice Banded, which pretty much outspeeds anything in RU not supported.

Galvantula (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 76 SAtk / 180 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

Galvantula is a great special attacker, so I catered to that.
Got Thunder because it's a strong move, and Compoundeyes + Wide Lensa raise the accuracy. Bug Buzz for STAB, again. Energy Ball for pesky Fire types that might destroy me. And Volt Switch to get the heck outta there.
Nothing wrong with fleeing. ;0

Flareon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Special Bulky Supporter is all this is.
Wish to give out to the team and herself. Heal Bell for status problems.
And Flamethrower so I'm not completely shut down by Taunt.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 100 HP / 220 Def / 188 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roost
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

I was pretty surprised at how great of a wall Mandibuzz is.
Got Toxic there for Toxic stalling. Taunt to prevent entry hazards and other annoying moves. Brave Bird because this bird is certainly brave.
And, of course, no bird is complete without Roost.

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Protect
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Pretty common set on this one.
Facade because of Flame Orb, which will boost attack. Brave Bird because of STAB and the always great boosted attack.
And then I got U-turn because nothing's wrong with fleeing when you know you're done.

Still debating on whether I should put Toxic Orb back on, or keep Flame Orb.

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Attract
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

^This, right here is the best thing ever. Always seems to keep me fighting when I'm about to lose.
Typically, people on PO forget to change the Pokemon's default gender, which is Male, so I abused that by bringing in Attract. Once Attract is done, I just go in and Leech Seed it and create a Sub.
Then just spam Giga Drains and Attracts when necessary.

Last edited by Shiny; October 11, 2011 at 03:17:19 PM.
Old October 11, 2011, 03:40:29 PM
Shaymin

Your weaknesses seems to be: Rock(4pkmn), Ice(4pkmn), Electric (3pkmn), and Fire (3pkmn).
Type your team will probably win against: Ground (3pkmn) Bug (5pkmn) Bug (3pkmn)... (psychic and ghost also will be week)
Veiwer Notes:
-I think you have pick good walls. When ever I use Flareon it does seem like he shoulf be a little bulkier.
-I like the Ninjask, trying something new!
-Overall VERY well done
Old October 12, 2011, 11:18:14 AM
Kyurem

The most obvious problem, and the one that you MUST address is the massive amount of obvious weaknesses that this team has. Fire, Electric, Ice, and of course Rock all hit at least half of your team for super-effective damage, and to make matters worse these are among the most commonly used moves offensively. To make matters worse, two of your main sweepers (Ninjask and Swellow) have nearly identical movesets which just adds redundancy, since you lose one precious Pokemon slot.

I would highly suggest replacing Ninjask, especially because 90 Attack only gets you so far on a Choice Band set. It is also horribly walled by Steelix, Crustle, and Aggron, which gives them precious time to set up. Swellow does just about everything that Ninjask does, so keep it on the team because of how successful it is. As for a new lead, I think Moltres may just be up your alley. It retains the rock weakness, sadly, but was one of Gen. 4 UU's most deadly threats. A Choice Scarf lead is just about as quick as Ninjask but hits far harder. If having 2 Fire-types on one team is a bit much for you, then Uxie could work wonderfully instead. It is as bulky as Pokemon get and can support the entire team easily, thanks to its expansive movepool. It works pretty well with Flareon and Mandibuzz, since both of them take in Dark, Ghost, and Bug moves and Uxie can take in the Earthquakes that Flareon fears.

Moltres
Timid
@ Choice Scarf
252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spd
~Fire Blast
~Air Slash
~U-Turn
~Hidden Power [Ice]

Uxie
Bold
@ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
~Thunder Wave
~Stealth Rock
~U-Turn
~Yawn/Psychic

You could theoretically run Heal Bell on Uxie as well, and it makes better use of it than Flareon, but whatever works for you. Uxie is best if used with Flareon, but if you opt to drop Flareon then Moltres is what you want.

I don't much like what you are doing with both Flareon and Mandibuzz. Both of them are better suited to be Special walls, and having them together and seeing Flareon's bizarre mixed EVs and Bold nature (it should NOT be taking physical hits.) Mandibuzz is also better suited to be EV'd in a manner that focuses on Sp.Def, which poses a bit of a problem. Overcoat is also the preferred ability, since no one uses Leer or Screech competitively. Ever.

Anyway, I rather like Flareon as a Special wall, so I would advise changing its nature to Calm and shifting those Defense EVs into HP, giving it 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def and 4 Spd. I am going to offer the suggestion of replacing Mandibuzz with Durant, simply to give your team a bit more physical bite, considering Swellow often does not last long. I personally like the Choice Band set a lot because of its longevity.

Durant
Jolly
@ Choice Band
252 Stk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
~X-Scissor
~Iron Head
~Rock Slide
~Thunder Fang

The set offers types of moves like Swellow does not have, like the ever-important Rock-type. Hustle is generally a better ability to use, but if you are paranoid about it missing then go ahead and use Swarm. A surprisingly powerful X-Scissor is always nice to have! What is great about Durant is how well it goes with Flareon. Flareon takes in Fire-type moves with joy, while Durant is able to take in Rock Slides and Earthquakes because of its Defense. (just don't come to rely on him).

I don't like the Tangela at all, simply because I have a thing against gimmick sets, which this thing really seems to be. Attract is an odd move that I am skeptical about, especially if Tangela is pinned against the always-female Lilligant which will begin to Butterfly Dance like mad. Thankfully, you have Flareon, but Tangela is still a bit of a target. Taunt especially breaks it down, but then again that could be said for just about every SubSeeder. I am going to suggest Poliwrath for your team to replace Tangela, simply because it takes in Rock, Ice, Water, and Fire-type moves so well. I use a similar shuffling set on a Lickitung, and it is quite successful.

Poliwrath
Impish
@ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
~Circle Throw
~Rest
~Waterfall
~Sleep Talk

Another useful wall set, this time with a focus on physical moves. Poliwrath has a pretty stellar set of defenses, and is able to take in a lot of hits that your team fears. I would give it a shot, if only for its usefulness in aiding the other Pokemon of your team.

Those are the suggestions I have got, anything that I did not mention is all right.