Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 10, 2014, 03:30:36 AM
Joltik

Default Thoughts about remakes

How does GameFreak decide when to do remakes of old pokemon games?

Right now, this happened:
1st gen -> --
2nd gen -> contains 1st gen content
3rd gen -> 1st gen
4th gen -> 2nd gen -> contains 1st gen content
5th gen -> contains some old gen.s little contents
6th gen -> 3rd gen

At a first sight, this surely looks random... It's hard to tell what's the rule °-°

So probably the 7th gen will have Diamond and Pearl remakes?
Will there be an Emerald Remake?

And what if they also do the remake of generantions that had a remake during the generation just remade? ... err...

I mean, now that we're having the Remake of the 3rd gen, what if they do another remake of the 1st? Will there ever be another remake of the 1st gen?

So when we'll have 4th gen remake, there would be a 2nd gen remake!
This could go forever, and if GameFreak doesn't stop doing Pokémon games we would have generations with 1 new region and a lot of remakes xD

Or do you think there will never be a Kanto revival again?

OR, 7th generation may have an old region inside itself!
Or maybe we don't have to wait that much, and Omega and Alpha will have Kanto attached!

What are your thoughts about remakes? You may have already discussed about remakes some time ago, but now that we know for sure that 3rd gen is going to be revived, we may have more accurate predictions!
Old September 10, 2014, 04:53:40 AM
Keldeo

I may only speak for myself here, but they'd better not do another 1st gen remake any day soon. They can't keep remaking the same base games and expecting people to buy them forever (or expect them to be good forever, for that matter). Note that no other major game company does this aside from the Virtual Console.

That being said, Diamond and Pearl came out 8 years ago in Japan now, so it's probably only a matter of time.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:07:29 AM
Kyurem

From what I can see, a generation only gets remade when it really seems outdated; hence why 3rd gen wasn't remade until the series went fully-3D. Diamond and Pearl aren't outdated yet, in my opinion at least, so I predict we'll have to wait until at least the 8th-gen games.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:23:19 AM
Joltik

Yea both you are probably right:
- most wouldn't buy Kanto for the third time (fifth if we consider the sidestory in Jotho)
But I think they will include old regions someway!

- D&P aren't outdated, so yea, we need a lot of new graphic features before we can see them coming, and since 3DS just came out, 7th gen won't be the one having Sinnoh remake! Another new awesome console will have it °-° be it 8th or 9th gen

What if they stop and make a final all-regions version in, let's say, 2018, when 3DS will be really outdated...
Old September 10, 2014, 05:13:56 PM
Kyurem

Maybe 7th gen will bring an X&Y 2 or something? You never know, what with gamefreak and there strange ways.

Last edited by kakashidragon; September 10, 2014 at 05:14:29 PM.
Old September 11, 2014, 09:05:24 PM
Joltik

You know, I miss now the "3rd game" since 5th gen, just like there was a Silver, Gold and Crystal, a Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.
Should they make a remake of the third game maybe Crystal or at least take that approach again, like in this gen, should they publish a Pokémon Z?
Old September 12, 2014, 01:34:14 AM
Joltik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alirubit View Post
You know, I miss now the "3rd game" since 5th gen, just like there was a Silver, Gold and Crystal, a Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.
Should they make a remake of the third game maybe Crystal or at least take that approach again, like in this gen, should they publish a Pokémon Z?
Oh that is also one of the questions...

For example, when I saw pokemon Black/White 2, and I saw the differences between the two games, I thought: "ok, they're doing a '3rd game', but this time they make two copies of them, like a double '3rd game'"

If B/W2 are a sort of "3rd game", then we have a 3rd game for each region.
Yellow was for 1st gen, Crystal for 2nd, Emeral for 3rd, Platinum for 4th, B/W2 for 5th...

For X and Y, we may have a third game just after Omega and Alpha, like we had Emerald after firered and leafgreen...
Old September 12, 2014, 10:10:45 PM
Joltik

I really hope we geth a "3rd GAme" but not so close to this launch of ORAS

It seems like a pkmn game has been released every year for the past few years
Old September 13, 2014, 04:41:28 AM
Regigigas

I dunno. I feel like Pokemon has such a large fan base and draws attention from many young audiences that even having a remake of Gen1 wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run. Or, they could just sell it as a port for the 3DS (current time) or whatever portable system in the future. That's saying if consoles survive, anyways. Gen1-3 Pokemon are already available so there's literally no need to create remakes besides fan service.
Old September 15, 2014, 02:05:04 AM
Joltik

I found out something interestring on the matter.
I'm currently reading Pokémon Adventures, Diamond&Pearl ark, and at the beginning of one of the volumes Hidenori Kusaka writes his thoughts about 2nd gen remakes:

Quote:
When I feel like playing at the Kanto Region, I'll insert the Fire Red/Leaf Green cartridge into my DS. When I feel like playing Hoenn, I'll insert Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. As for Sinnoh, needless to say, the cartridge will be Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Wait... I'm missing one region! I can't play the Johto region with my DS! So anyway, I finally have a chance to get this off my chest. Remakes of my favorite games! I really can't wait!
So, following what he said, we can assume that GameFreak tries to put every past region in games that have a compatible cartridge with the current console.
... And, this is partially true... Actually, FireRed and LeafGreen came for the GBA, while that console could support Green/Red/Blue and Yellow...
Insead, if we look at OR&AS, the rule seems to be right! Right now, a 3DS can give you Kanto and Johto (from HG&SS), Sinnoh (DPP are still supported), Unima (BW supported), Kalos, but not Hoenn!

The main problem is: can they make a console that is not able to support DS games? And if there will be one, would we lose all the regions but Hoenn and Kalos?

What do you whink about this rule?
Old November 6, 2014, 04:54:12 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiby View Post
I found out something interestring on the matter.
I'm currently reading Pokémon Adventures, Diamond&Pearl ark, and at the beginning of one of the volumes Hidenori Kusaka writes his thoughts about 2nd gen remakes:

So, following what he said, we can assume that GameFreak tries to put every past region in games that have a compatible cartridge with the current console.
... And, this is partially true... Actually, FireRed and LeafGreen came for the GBA, while that console could support Green/Red/Blue and Yellow...
Insead, if we look at OR&AS, the rule seems to be right! Right now, a 3DS can give you Kanto and Johto (from HG&SS), Sinnoh (DPP are still supported), Unima (BW supported), Kalos, but not Hoenn!

The main problem is: can they make a console that is not able to support DS games? And if there will be one, would we lose all the regions but Hoenn and Kalos?

What do you whink about this rule?
I'm surprised I haven't commented on this earlier. Now, the rule that seems to be consistent as far as remakes are confirmed is that a region is remade with each major change of the platform on which the games are played. When Pokémon went from Gen II to III, the main platform changed from the old GameBoy (Color) to the GameBoy Advance, during which time Gen I remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen, were made. In the transition from Gen III to IV, the platform changed to the DS, and eventually the Nintendo DSi, and removed compatibility with the GameBoy cartridges. And thus, HeartGold and SoulSilver were released. Now, the Nintendo 3DS is the most recent major change, and now we have ORAS. So, by that pattern, whenever the next generation handheld console comes out, we should have Diamond and Pearl remakes.

Of course, the pattern isn't necessarily binding. If technical limitations keeps Nintendo from really advancing very far from the 3DS, then we'll probably get a Generation IV remake early to appease an impatient fanbase. I know we got all in Nintendo's grill about Gen III remakes, but they only came out with 2 generations' time, so it's far from what could have been.

As for the rule you brought up, while the points brought up are true, they all have singular exceptions. What I am more interested in, though, is if they create remakes of games based on backwards compatibility (or lack thereof), with the exception of FRLG (unless you want to take the eventual death of the internal battery of the Gen I and II games into account), then they would have to make a system in which 3D graphics are basically inherent, and thus non-3DS games would be lost in the shift. Considering the health risk warnings that Nintendo seems to disclaimer every time a 3DS product is advertised, that isn't likely to happen. Even if it were, then we lose access to Gens IV and V, along with the Gen II remakes and the Gen I remake we lost since the transition to the DSi.

Which would mean that Gen IV and V seem to have just as equal chance of getting remade, the only factor being that Gen IV is more outdated than Gen V. Still, this implies that, whenever the successor model of the Nintendo 3DS is released, Gen IV and V remakes could be made. But think about this as well; Nintendo has been remaking games in the chronological order of their original release. First RBY became FRLG, and GSC became HGSS; now RSE become ORAS. Now one might initially believe that Gen IV should be next...but wait, Gen IV is still playable on this console. Before remaking Gen IV, shouldn't the platform change to render the old Gen IV obsolete? Gen I was the only generation able to get away with this because the internal battery issue, but this occurred for HGSS and ORAS (both not playable on a DSi/3DS system). HGSS, however, was released for the DSi system, as the DS's introduction rendered GBC obsolete; the DSi's introduction rendered RSE obsolete. So, two console changes after GSC's becoming obsolete, HGSS was made. Similarly, two console changes after RSE became obsolete, ORAS is now upcoming. But wait; FRLG are also now obsolete, in fact, at the same time ORAS was. This could potentially initiate a second remake of RBY, but that's just guessing at this point.

If the pattern set by HGSS and ORAS were to continue, we'd probably see a full timeline like this.

Gameboy: RBY, GSC
Gameboy Advance: GSC, RSE, FRLG
  • RBY is now obsolete by internal battery...?
Nintendo DS: RSE, FRLG, DPPt
  • GSC is now obsolete by console change
Nintendo DSi: DPPt, HGSS, BW(2)
  • RSE is now obsolete by console change
  • FRLG is now obsolete by console change
Nintendo 3DS: DPPt, HGSS, BW(2), XY, ORAS
Future 3DS possibility: FRLG remake
Nintendo 3DS successor: XY, ORAS, FRLG remake, 7th gen game
  • DPPt is now obsolete by console change*
  • HGSS is now obsolete by console change*
  • BW(2) is now obsolete by console change*
*All of this depends on what they make compatible. If Nintendo DS games are no longer supported, they will indeed be obsolete.

Nintendo 3DS successor's successor: 7th gen game, DPPt remake, HGSS remake, BW(2) remake, maybe an 8th gen game
  • XY is now obsolete by console change**
  • ORAS is now obsolete by console change**
  • FRLG remake is now obsolete by console change**
**All of this depends on what they make compatible. If Nintendo 3DS games are no longer supported, they will indeed be obsolete.

What really throws a wrench into the pattern is that DPPt and HGSS are still compatible on the 3DS, making that weird Nintendo DSi to 3DS transition the only one that doesn't render anything obsolete. So honestly, there really is nothing that can be predicted with any certainty. Every pattern I've come up with has some discontinuity, so I went with the one that has only one discontinuity with RBY, that a remake was made with each console change AFTER the console change that renders an old game obsolete. And that is the only pattern I can keep intact with the prediction.

tl;dr There is no specific pattern that can accurately predict when the Pokémon remakes will come out, as they all have some kind of obvious discontinuity. However, it sure is fun to try to make a pattern out of it.