Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 4, 2011, 10:37:24 AM
Kyurem

Default December Brawl Tourney Discussion

Hello everyone, it may just be me but I feel like we haven't had enough tournaments lately. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Festivus, or any other December holiday, it is pretty hard to argue that December is not a time of celebration, and what better way to celebrate than with a good old fashioned Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament? This is Victory Road's 3rd Brawl Tournament, and with the support of the entire community it should be just as good (or better!) than the previous two! Please keep in mind that this thread is reserved for tournament discussion, so don't try and sign up here and now. The time for that will come. Anyway, below are the rules that seem to make the most sense for a tournament, and if any of you have any issues regarding them please speak up!

Type of Battle: 1 vs. 1. 3 stock. 8 minutes time. Best two out of three. This is widely considered the most fair type of battle, so as such this tourney will operate under those rules.

No Hacking or Glitching: This is an easy one! Just play fair and everything is fine.

Pretty brief list, huh? Well, there are some touchy topics that need to be addressed, such as items, characters, and stages. Last December, our tournament mostly followed the rules of competitive Brawl-players due to a vote, and we will have a similar vote this year. The issues in question are:

-The use of items. Competitive players choose not to use them, while the more casual crowd generally supports them. No matter how we vote, the Ray-Gun, Starman, Fan, Lightning Bolt, and Timer will all be banned.

-The use of Meta Knight. Although he is banned competitively, some may choose to vote in favor of his usage.

-The availability of all stages. Some stages put certain characters at disadvantages, and the vote regarding stage selection would decide whether or not all stages would be allowed.

As you can see, the rules that need to be decided upon are some of the most important of all. Thankfully, we have quite a long time to decide upon them, as the tournament's official date has yet to be established. I now invite all of you to voice your opinions, as nothing can be achieved without you! Remember, this thread is for the discussion of established rules and the issues in question. A formal vote regarding the three issues above will be had in exactly one week from today, after the issues have been formally discussed.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; December 4, 2011 at 10:59:34 AM.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:12:42 PM
Giratina

First, I'm excited for this tournament.

Second, business time.
When it comes to items, competitive players would gather if items were not allowed in general, where casual players are just that. I do think certain items should be allowed. I'm thinking about allowing Smash Balls, but that could cause issues with characters who have a very unfair advantage with them (most notably Sonic). Pokeballs are a big toss up to me. Mainly because we could use them because we are a Pokemon site, but we might disallow them because they can be cheap.

Meta-Knight. I don't have any issues with Meta-Knight being used. This is why: Just because he is top tier doesn't mean he can't be beat Link or Ganondorf. So I have no problem with Meta-Knight being allowed.

On the case of stages, I do think we need to remove some of them. Definitely remove the stages with hazards. If we allowed such stages, someone could win without having to lay a finger on the opponent and just wait for the opponent to make a stupid mistake.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:25:00 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
it should be just as good (or better!) than the previous two!
Hopefully better. A lot better. :3

I'm pro-items. Brawl's boring as hell without items. Not sure about Smash balls though.

I don't mind if Meta Knight's used or not. Heck, I don't even know why he's too OP to be used.

As for stages... I'm torn here. I like some stages, hate others... I don't want it to be just Final Destination though.

Also I find 5-stock matches to be far more fun and involving, so I'm just throwing that out there.
Old December 15, 2011, 04:48:49 PM
Giratina

Brawl tourney? Count me in, I know how to rape face with Jigglypuff- The Air Queen. >: D
This will be my first tournament I've been in too
Old December 15, 2011, 04:59:38 PM
Floatzel

Maybe get some stages from melee as well.
I just hope this will be fun though.
Old December 15, 2011, 06:13:44 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Brawl tourney? Count me in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Please keep in mind that this thread is reserved for tournament discussion, so don't try and sign up here and now.
Old December 20, 2011, 07:15:07 AM
Kyurem

You said it'd be at 3PM, but what time zone would that be?
Old December 20, 2011, 07:18:16 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
You said it'd be at 3PM, but what time zone would that be?
It's 3PM Eastern Time Zone
Old December 28, 2011, 07:23:42 AM
Magikarp

I had no idea about the check in. Allow me to enter the tourney, or replace someone who hasnt showed up with me. DRAZONIX
Old December 28, 2011, 11:49:40 AM
Giratina

Note:

Don't make another Brawl tourney again, unless Nintendo get their act together and make a half-decent server for it. We're 50 minutes in to the tourney and NO battles have taken place as far as I'm aware, because nobody can get Nintendo's abomination of an online service to work.
[/rant][/firstworldproblem]