Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media > My Little Pony

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 31, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Double Rainboom

Flamingo Rich has finally brought us the first full episode completely created by fans, "Double Rainboom," including original animation in the style of Friendship Is Magic, new voice actors, and a fresh score. Watch it for yourself:

Don't open this or read any posts below until AFTER you've watched it.    

In the spirit of Easter, it's time for an Easter egg hunt (thanks, Yoshi)! Here are all the references I've found along with timestamps:
  • 03:37 - in the smoke
  • 06:36 - Rarity makes clothing from many places including Zachary Rich's OC, Angelica Pickles from Rugrats, Daphne from Scooby Doo, Harley Quinn from Batman, Link from Legend of Zelda, Lisa from The Simpsons and Him from the PowerPuff Girls
  • 06:50 - The bunny and duck near Fluttershy resemble Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck from Looney Toons
  • 06:54 - More animals join the fray including Leafeon from Pokémon, Jerry from Tom and Jerry, Curious George, Kanga and Roo from Winnie the Pooh, Bubby the Whale from Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb, Totoro, and even Navi from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
  • 07:26 - "Item get" sound from The Legend of Zelda series
  • 09:59 - Weighted Companion Cube on the floor in front of Twilight
  • 10:06 - Spike's letter to Rarity on the floor
  • 10:59 - One of the bags Spike is carrying has a card with Spike wearing sunglasses and "Ask Blog Monthly"
  • 11:02 - Harley Quinn staff
  • 11:40 - Various phrases on the pinball machine: "20% cooler" and "best pony"
  • 11:57 - Scootaloo on the "Adopt a Chicken" sign
  • 12:51 - Domo on the moon (again visible at 13:19)
  • 13:39 - The bottles on the shelves all say "Faust" on the labels, after Lauren Faust.
  • 15:11 - The Flamingo Rich logo as an ornament blowing away (again at 15:17)
  • 15:14 - Octavia playing her cello and Zachary Rich's OC taking a bath.
  • 16:30 - Tracks on the ground like those the DeLorean left in Back to the Future, with accompanying music
  • 17:14 - One of several Cartoon Network themes, typically at the start of the Cartoon Cartoons segments, highlighted by various characters such as Johnny Bravo, Dexter, Courage, Plank, Jack, Billy, and Red Guy
  • 17:40 - "I ♥ Pony" sign
  • 18:03 - Talking Dog is never given a chance to actually reveal much information about himself or his ability to talk
  • 18:26 - Beemo from Adventure Time can be seen in the bin
  • 20:42 - You have to freeze frame for this one, but the Pizza Planet delivery truck from Toy Story can be seen on the left, notable for the word "yo" (which itself is a reference to Toyota), again visible at 21:07 and 21:14
  • 21:41 - Stark Tower (a Marvel Comics staple) is visible in the skyline while Rainbow Dash and Blossom are flying (it appears several times in classic Hannah Barbara background style)
  • 21:54 - Optimus Prime and the Equestria Daily headquarters
  • 21:55 - CN Tower, which itself is a double entendre: the actual CN Tower in Toronto, but the logo is that of Cartoon Network
  • 22:16 - We Love Fine (one of the major makers of MLP clothing) and Toy Box (The Toy Story logo and Toys 'R' Us, possibly a reference also to the PowerPuff Girls episode, Ploys 'R' Us, and maybe a reference to the TRU font named Toy Box); also on the window is Bubbles' octopus doll (Octi) and Beemo again
  • 22:18 - Another Equestria Daily logo on a billboard, and the Aperture Science logo on the truck; Professor Utonium can be seen stuck in traffic
  • 22:18 - Several frames later than the above, the PPG logo is on a hospital-like building
  • 22:19 - T.A.R.D.I.S. and Mojo Jojo
  • 23:45 - While it obviously is the plot device that gets Rainbow Dash home, Pinkie Pie's fourth wall intrusion is clear
  • 23:58 - The street names are Faust and McCracken (who are married)
  • 24:40 - Rainbow Dash's return trip is emphasized with Hasbro characters, including Optimus Prime, Lucky, Zoe, Dan, and Lil Bat.
  • 26:30 - The potion tasting like Snozzberries (which tastes like Snozzberries at 26:40) is a reference to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
  • 26:38 - Time and Space is the logo for Adobe Flash, which is the program used to make the episodes
  • 27:05 - Bloo from Fauster's Home for Imaginary Friends (which also influences the background music)
  • 27:14 - A picture of the Flamingo Rich logo is on the mantle
  • 27:44 - on the sun and again at 28:07 on a falling chunk of wood
  • 28:09 - Crayola crayons
  • 28:18 - Blossom is reading a book with Discord on the cover. Also Bloo pops up again
  • 28:29 - A reference to many 2D fighting games such as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat
  • 28:33 - A Nintendo 64 along with the Fighting is Magic logo on the cartridge

There are quite a few nods and shout-outs throughout the episode, notably the whole PowerPuff Girls segment, but I had to draw a line somewhere. There are also a lot I missed and some that I really have no idea what they are, like some of the store names in the PPG half. If you recognize any more, let us know and we'll add them.

Many thanks to Yoshi for helping me find some of these.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 31, 2013 at 05:43:41 PM. Reason: Fixing a few typos
Old March 31, 2013, 03:53:09 PM
Administrator

That was a great animation. Major thanks to everyone who spent countless hours working on it. The animation was fantastic, great voice acting, did an excellent job at capturing the pony's personalities, and finding all the references was fun. The only thing I think could have been improved was the pacing. Quite a few moments that were dragged out more then they needed to be (Twilight collecting scientific data on Rainbow, the Derpy scene, etc) which were out-weighed by a few "Well that escalated quickly" moments (Ponyville destroyed in less then 10 seconds flat? Rainbow Dash goes from broken to home with just a poof from Pinkie).

The most disappointing thing however is all the comments of everyone overreacting (it's just like the season 3 ending all over again). Yes the entire Power Puff Girls crossover and the billion references are certainly not things you would see in an actual episode, but that's the point of fan animations such as these, to do wacky stuff we wouldn't normally get. I was smiling and laughing the entire time I watched it so there can't be anything bad about that.

Last edited by Yoshi648; March 31, 2013 at 03:55:12 PM.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:54:25 PM
Giratina

Oh my God the trollface. Oh my God the moon. Oh my God the perfect art style. And sweet, Jesus, that SHIFT. Since you put that in spoilers, I'll put what I found-

So many different wonders    
In Fluttershy's potion fantasy, animals from many different series come to see her. I noted Bubby the whale from Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb, Jerry from Tom n' Jerry, one of the penguins (can't remember ANY names) from Surf's Up and the first two are most likely Daffy and Bugs.
The PPG parody KISS in the credits with the CMC.
Rainbow fights Buttercup in the style of Marvel vs. Capcom (Or just Street Fighter) on an N64.
The other two from the Hub are Dan from "Dan Vs." and the Lil Bat from "Aquabats" (Which are a real band.)

It sure was funny and entertaining. I give it a NINE OUTTA TEN. Too many scenes where characters were moving yet not talking
Old March 31, 2013, 06:02:26 PM
Administrator

Man, I'm surprised at all the references, but I was barely looking for them when I first watched it. I only caught a couple of them, and I especially wasn't looking for all the small signs and characters.

I definitely think the animation itself was fantastic and could very easily pass as official media. The voice acting was quite close, but sadly it has the same problem many contracted shows do when the VAs have to change; for a fan work, it's perfectly acceptable. The score was beautiful and well-orchestrated. The sound mixing was nearly on par with the actual show (unlike Silly Filly Studios' "Snowdrop" short, where the mixing was its downfall) and was very easy to hear clearly even at low volume on a TV set. I definitely think the quality of these aspects is nearly perfect.

As for the episode itself (now that I actually have a chance to say something ), it was pretty decent, albeit a little fast paced. As a work, I think the pacing was mostly to give focus to certain jokes that didn't need as much emphasis (as mentioned, Derpy, the whole science scene, and Pinkie Pie saving Dashie). Ignoring the introduction and credits, it was also approximately four and a half minutes longer than a standard episode. I think the theme of this episode would've fit nicer with a two-part episode, split exactly where the PowerPuff Girls copyright splash appears.

All in all, I'm curious to see where they intend to go from here. I'd love to see another episode more in line with the main series, perhaps going into themes we know the main series cannot do for various reasons but would be normal to see, such as a Derpy episode (For those who don't know, the Derpy scene caused a bit of a controversy before, so it's unlikely we'll get to see more than the brief cameos in the actual show.) or maybe something involving other specific background ponies.