Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 26, 2010, 06:48:13 PM
Regigigas

Default Unown

Why exactly is Unown not classified as a legendary? I know it's (really) bad statistically, but it starred in a movie (in which it was explicitly stated it was legendary) and in groups it appears as powerful as any legendary.
Old December 26, 2010, 07:03:19 PM
Kyurem

Because, the anime is less canon than the games. ...In other words, if the games and the anime/movies disagree, what the games says goes

Last edited by FreezeWarp; December 27, 2010 at 08:19:33 AM.
Old December 26, 2010, 07:09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu Lapras View Post
Why exactly is Unown not classified as a legendary? I know it's (really) bad statistically, but it starred in a movie (in which it was explicitly stated it was legendary) and in groups it appears as powerful as any legendary.
In all technicalities, Lucario and Zoroark are also not legendaries. I'm not really sure what exactly designates what is and what isn't a legendary Pokémon. It may have something to do with in-game stats rather than anime canon. Like Icee said, they're two different things, and game pretty much presides over all canon.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:14:29 PM
Giratina

Leaving aside the stuff which have been said already, one of the reasons for a Pokémon to become a legendary, as far as I can remember, is for it to have a minimum base stat total (BST). As you mentioned, Unown have horrible base stats, so maybe that's one of the reasons accounting for them being normal Pokémon. Another reason, which is mentioned in Bulbapedia, is that a legendary Pokémon can only be caught once in a single game. Now, I don't know why Lucario, for example, is not considered a legendary Pokémon (since you only get the Riolu egg once), but you can catch Unown a lot of times in their ruins, obviously.

I hope my somewhat long post further clarified your inquiry.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:36:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Leaving aside the stuff which have been said already, one of the reasons for a Pokémon to become a legendary, as far as I can remember, is for it to have a minimum base stat total (BST). As you mentioned, Unown have horrible base stats, so maybe that's one of the reasons accounting for them being normal Pokémon. Another reason, which is mentioned in Bulbapedia, is that a legendary Pokémon can only be caught once in a single game. Now, I don't know why Lucario, for example, is not considered a legendary Pokémon (since you only get the Riolu egg once), but you can catch Unown a lot of times in their ruins, obviously.

I hope my somewhat long post further clarified your inquiry.
You can breed Lucario. Legendaries can never breed, and are only caught once in the wild. As such, Pokemon like Nidoqueen can't breed, but you can get multiples of them since Nidoran female is in the wild, and Rotom is only caught once, but you can breed those. This also makes Phione a non-legendary Pokemon, since you can get many Phione eggs.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; December 26, 2010 at 10:37:19 PM.
Old December 27, 2010, 01:43:27 AM
Rayquaza

Unown, like Ninetales, Arcanine, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Lucario, Garchomp, Rotom, Spiritomb and Zoroark, has got its own mysterious power, and is conidered to be not a normal Pokémon. However, when you match them to the already known legendary Pokémon, you will find a vast difference in strength, and even in the myth that surrounds them. Of course, rarity affects as well.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:21:51 AM
Celebi

Unown is a psuedo legendary. All the ones Spirit mentioned are also, inluding Metagross and Salamence.

Last edited by RotomGuy; December 27, 2010 at 05:23:04 AM.
Old December 27, 2010, 06:32:16 AM
Landorus

I think all of the stuff said before are good reasons. And, all the pokemon that are classified as legendaries in the games do not evolve. Lucario, Ulgamoth, and Zoroark don't count as legendaries because they have pre-evolutions. As for Unown, you can get them very easily in their designated caves, because they are the only pokemon there, and you can get them countless times.

HOWEVER, if you happen to catch all 28 forms of Unown, that's classified as catching a legendary in my book, because in the time you actually find all 26 letters and gotten to the cave where you get ! and ?, you probably could've caught at least two major legendary pokemon, like Dialga and Palkia, etc.
Old December 27, 2010, 06:41:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
Unown is a psuedo legendary. All the ones Spirit mentioned are also, inluding Metagross and Salamence.
Unown aren't even psuedo-legendary. One of those is described as a Pokémon that "that has a three-stage evolution line, two types, as well as a base stat total of 600" (Thank you Bulbapedia.) It also looks like Bulbapedia has some good information covering this topic. If you really want to know, it would probably be worth your while to look into it.